Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Corn Powered Corvettes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this coming. Just a **** tease to build up business. We appreciate your time and efforts for your achievements with E85, but this is a tech forum, not a "pimp your business" forum. We want to gain knowledge from here, not spam. You don't need to withhold info from us to gain business, in fact you may do just the opposite as people will be less inclined to come by for your selfishness. There are so many more people on these boards that would rather take their cars to shops to get work done rather than do it themselves so the business is there and you do not have missed opportunity from unveiling the big E85 secrets. Just my $0.02.
I have more reasons for not saying anything right now than just business... like I say there is ALOT of politics involved and what we are doing with the fuel is technically illegal (as far as EPA and emissions are concerned). We've had enough phone calls and emails from the nat'l ethanol vehicle coalition, who DO NOT approve of what we are doing. Why? Because GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota all have seats on their board of directors- they DO NOT want some joe blow to come out and convert old cars to run on the new fuel. Why? Well, when the big 3 are struggling to stay alive, they need to sell all the new cars they can. This is a fad right now- GM is using it to sell cars based on JUST E85 capabilities right now. For me to post and tell you how to do it would be considered irresponsible- sorta like telling you to build your own bomb. i live in a state with very relaxed emissions req's and we work on "racecars." If the customer chooses to drive his "racecar" on the street, it is his deal. This fuel is exciting and you should use it- a stock car will pick up 8 - 10 ft lbs with proper tuning just in the fuel change. It's cheap and it's made in the US. I will probably discuss it more, but I just can't right now.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Well then we hope you get to a point in the political BS that allows you to share your findings as many of us share the same desire to utilize US fuel. Not to mention the other bennefits.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

I do all of my work myself (tuning included), if I gave you guys a call at the shop would you discuss what is involved in the conversion?
Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Default this is whole thing is kinda funny

you dint need to know a whole lot. there is a different target stoich value is all. if you poke around the net you will find a chart that has the stoich values for everything from pure ethanol to propane and even kerosene (i think its mega squirts site actually)

Wide band O2 sensor and readjust the target thats it.. for any car, sefi, tb, ford, toyota DOESNT MATTER. If you can hack the computer it can be done. Hell, even if its got a carb... new jets thats it. this is NOT rocket surgery or brain science.

beyond that if you want to make big power its like I said before. Up the compression and play with cam combos just like you would any other purpose built motor.

this stuff reminds me of the dudes doing the pcm 'tunes' for the I6 motors found in the trail/voys. go to trailvoy.com and thats all they would talk about... one company doing a crap tune, but thats all they had and it was all anyone knew. a lot of the people on the forum didn't have LSx exposure etc and it took them forever to start screaming for HPtuners to support them. now instead of crap posts about chrome exhaust tips and cold air intakes, those guys are actually doing something with their motors.

dont be a lemming, use your brain. forums like this are great sources of information, but dont rely solely on the experience and knowledge of others. if he doesn't want to share, fine. figure it out for yourself. not only will it be more rewarding you might figure out something no one else has.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

I am just looking for a starting point to work with, you know a rough estimate of how much timing to give it, and what AF they are making power at.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rubbersidedown certainly knows what he's doing, just look at the numbers in my sig with just bolt ons and CORN!!. I think this E85 will be a great alternative and really opens up a lot of possibilities for high compression or even FI cars.
I've only lost 2mpg on the corn vs gas and I've been running it for a year now.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by black_z
No juice, where are you located in MN?
Maple Grove
Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
12 Second Club

No juice, where are you located in MN?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I talked to Andy on the phone. He knows his **** and he will be getting my business for a tune. I've run e85 on a bone stock car/tune and got lean codes after a few months. Not telling people what to do but if you want to make your car run on e85 support someone who is doing it widespread and pushing cars like ours to be able to run on the stuff no problem. Doing it yourself is not a bad thing, but are you yourself actually pushing for it to become able for everyone to benefit from?

Wesley
Kentucky
Old 10-25-2006, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Default Got Corn?

Andy has done an excellent job tuning my car on E85, I have been running E85 all summer, no problems. The performance diffences is unreal, never have to worry about poor gas quality. I also have had Andy retune my FACTORY FLEX yukon my E85 mileage is up 2-3mpg, it wasn't even worth running E85 before because the mileage was so BAD. To me it's worth it, premium $2.39 or E-85 $1.67, $0.72per gallon cheaper, better performance. DO the math vs race gas?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Teching In

Default DIY Corn fuel for ANY CAR!!! the book is here.

this search literally took me less then 1min... it has everything from why what he is doing is illegal for street cars
After-market conversion kits, for converting standard engines to operate on E85, are generally not legal in U.S. states subject to emissions controls, unless the converted vehicle is independently EPA certified. This is despite the fact that the exhaust emissions from any such converted cars are improved by utilizing higher percentages of ethanol in the gasoline blend. Unfortunately, EPA certification costs in excess of $23,000 and requires proof that the vehicle will maintain low emissions for at least 50,000 miles after the conversion.
and for black_z a freaking general manual on how its done and for everyone else, a vendor list
One Brazilian after-market kit is available legally in US States that do not have restrictive emission controls. The kit will permit the conversion of 4, 6, or 8 cylinder engines to operate from fuels ranging from pure gasoline to a mix of gasoline and ethanol to pure ethanol, including E85. It operates by modifying the fuel-injection pulses sent to the fuel injectors when in 'A', or ethanol mode instead of 'G', or gasoline mode. (In 'G' mode, no modification to the fuel-injection pulses is performed.) This conversion kit modification serves to extend the control range over which the ECU can adjust the air-fuel ratio to achieve an oxygen sensor reading measured before the catalytic converter that falls within nominal stoichiometric ideal combustion limits. The general belief is that this conversion kit operates in its 'A' mode simply through lengthening the individual pulse-widths of fuel-injection pulses, thereby increasing fuel flow per injection pulse by roughly 30%, whereas in 'G' mode, it acts simply as a straight pass through for fuel-injection pulses. Due to the nature of this kit, it is fully reversible (see below for other approaches)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85

here are the contents:

1 Use in flexible-fuel engines
2 Use in standard engines
2.1 Experimental
2.2 Risks
2.3 Jurisdictions mandating ethanol
2.4 After-market conversions
3 Air fuel ratio comparison
4 Estimating fuel injector, carburetor and fuel pump requirements
5 Life cycle impact of E85 on greenhouse gas emissions
6 Power output and usage in racing
7 Current E85 flexible-fuel cars
7.1 Worldwide vehicle makers (groups)
7.2 Europe
7.3 USA
8 See also
9 Notes
10 References
11 External links

looks like a friggin how to section to me.

might as well contact wikipedia and ask them if we can put it up as a sticky in the tuning section for 'reference purposes'

no more cloak and dagger sh*t. if you need more information then what is presented on that site, then IMO you have no business tuning your own car AT ALL. Stick with bolt ons and pre-packaged kits.

Last edited by newby; 10-26-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by newby

no more cloak and dagger sh*t. if you need more information then what is presented on that site, then IMO you have no business tuning your own car AT ALL. Stick with bolt ons and pre-packaged kits.
newby, if you can't handle a few questions about what you do, then you are not going to be in business very long. There is a lot of BS on the internet and lots of people try to make money off of BS. So people tend to ask questions to A understand what you do and B protect themselves from false information. If you give attitude toward these people you can forget about them ever coming by your shop.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by newby

looks like a friggin how to section to me.

might as well contact wikipedia and ask them if we can put it up as a sticky in the tuning section for 'reference purposes'

Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Teching In

Default badsz28 you mis-understood me

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
newby, if you can't handle a few questions about what you do, then you are not going to be in business very long. There is a lot of BS on the internet and lots of people try to make money off of BS. So people tend to ask questions to A understand what you do and B protect themselves from false information. If you give attitude toward these people you can forget about them ever coming by your shop.

its not my shop... I'm in no way affiliated with the person (rubbersidedown) who started this thread.

i chimed in because like everyone else looking at this thread I disagree with rubbersidedown not being fruitful with information. sharing information is what these boards are about. advertising goes in the sponsor strip to your right, meaningful posts and people helping each other goes here in the forum.

I just did some digging to try and help you make an informed decision before you go and plunk down money for a guy to do something he claims is all 'cool and new and too hard for you to do' when you might be able to pull it off yourself. I wasnt trying to flame, bash, or offend.

*I fixed my 'tarded formatting on the link on my prev. post

Last edited by newby; 10-26-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Seamed like you were defending the guy instead of the other way around. We can all google and what not, but when it comes to a specific car (LS1s) we would like specific details for these cars.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Don't rip on the guy for posting info that he found. While it may not be ls1 specific, it shows that there is a lot of info out there for anyone interested. Rubbersidedown nor newby are soliciting business, if they were, then this thread would have been shut down by now. I didn't even know that running e85 in an ls1 was possible until this thread. Now I see that people are putting down decent numbers and not getting raped by overseas petro companies. E85 is a way to cut down on america's dependance on foreign imports of gas. I for one am very interested in what direction we can go with this. "Your'e not Johnny Storm, so don't Flame On"
Old 10-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Default thanks trying t/a

thanks for the back up. i found the information on that site quite complete actually.

if you have played with your tuner software of choice, you should be able to start playing with this stuff... mix some e85 in and watch your 02 (wideband hopefully) and adjust from there. compare your values with the table (it gives the lambdas). want more? up the boost/compression or up the % e85.

if you need any more step by step instructions then that check the FAQ of your chosen tuner package. is not A/F control is pretty much tuning 101?

i thought it was cool that e100 is floating around out there somewhere. i dont have a station here yet that even has e85 so i haven't given it too much thought.

I am going to look into making it myself as a home brew though.

One question I did have though is why hasn't anyone used a fuel/water separator like on the diesels?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Seamed like you were defending the guy instead of the other way around. We can all google and what not, but when it comes to a specific car (LS1s) we would like specific details for these cars.
this stuff isn't rocket science, and it really isn't LS1 specific. Fuel, spark, compression. End of story.

The only real differences are differences in octane and energy density as well as corrosiveness.a
Old 10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Well I still have a lot to learn about tuning so I will just keep researching and go from there.

I was looking if there was more to a conversion than just a tune for our cars specifically. I thought this was a site for resource and reference. Not one that tells you to look elsewhere anytime something new comes along. You don't see in the internal section people saying "there's a new cam out, Google 'new LS1 cam' to get the details".
Old 11-01-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Andrew91GT
Fuel, spark, compression. End of story. The only real differences are differences in octane and energy density as well as corrosiveness....
Well said.

Quick Reply: Corn Powered Corvettes!!!