Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

UNTUNED dyno of 408 in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I saw that... After the car is fixed correctly it wont be dynoed there again.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:10 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a cranking compression test....If its really low (less than 140 lbs) you can bet your butt your cam is off a tooth. The numbers you are making are extremely low....a tune is not going to find you close to 100 HP....even the TQ is off almost the same figure. Its almost encouraging in some respects becuase it seems there is a major issue (besides the tune) still unresolved.

Good luck sorting things out and I agree with the others regarding the tuners decision to stay WOT at that lean an A/F ratio....nothing to learn doing that and alot at stake if you pinch a ringland or worse. Thank God your car was N/A.....that really was a bad call...hopefully it doesnt come back to bite you.

Tony M.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Thanx Tony I hope that nothing internal is jacked up cause my motor isnt under warrenty anymore cause FFHP went under... Yeah for me. I have to find someone that can do the compression test here in Hawaii. I love living here but getting a Camaro or TransAm worked on here sucks no one really to do jack. Gotta help each other out like we normally do for what we can do in the car club. I will post up outcomes ASAP. Thank you everyone for ur imputs and help. I am learning as I go on everything with theses cars and by all means I want to learn. So wish I was on the mainland so I could take it to a shop though cause this problem maybe something I can not fix easily
Old 12-12-2006, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
Thanx Tony I hope that nothing internal is jacked up cause my motor isnt under warrenty anymore cause FFHP went under... Yeah for me. I have to find someone that can do the compression test here in Hawaii. I love living here but getting a Camaro or TransAm worked on here sucks no one really to do jack. Gotta help each other out like we normally do for what we can do in the car club. I will post up outcomes ASAP. Thank you everyone for ur imputs and help. I am learning as I go on everything with theses cars and by all means I want to learn. So wish I was on the mainland so I could take it to a shop though cause this problem maybe something I can not fix easily

Just go down to checkers our redline and get a comp tester and, screw it into the spark plug hole and turn the motor over with starter. you can do it.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A comp tester is cheap. It's just a guage that attaches to a hose and it threads into your spark plug hole in your engine.

Take your fuel pump relay out and unplug your coil packs so it doesn't fire. Look in your manual as to where the relay is. Then do what the guy suggested above. It is very easy. If you can change your spark plugs you can do this.

Crank the engine until it compresses 3-4 times. You will see the gauge jump up every time it compresses. The dial will stay put once you are done cranking. Write the number on the gauge down on paper for each cylinder and see where you stand.

You can't go wrong with this how to guide. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks we all moved away sorry chris! and more about to leave!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Should be doing that test here in the next few day I hope.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1fast,

Pull up all threads started by me. I did a write up on my 402 build and then some other follow up write ups there after regarding all of the problems that I encountered. Tony Mamo helped me out a great deal on figuring out that my cam was a tooth out. I believe that I have many pictures illustrating how that can happen. With mine, it looked like it was in perfectly dot to dot but what happened was that I spun the crank in the opposite (counterclockwise) direction and ended up with the slack on the wrong side of the chain. Rookie mistake, I know but after seeing your numbers, you should hope that that is what it is and not something like bent valves or worse.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Question IF the tooth on the cam is bad and it was installed professionally by a company that is no longer in business am I stuck buying a new cam or do you think that Texas Speed would replace it cause its the Texas Giant Cam?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the tooth on the cam being bad is a far reach. It's most likely installed a tooth off, like stated. But to answer your question, if it was a manufacturer defect, I would say TSP would replace it.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wouldnt put it passed FFHP to do that to you! putting the cam off the tooth!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
[IMG]

Click here to see Video

Any tunners HELP please..
hey trans am where are u located on oahu? I am intrested with the combo you are running on your WS6. Think we can meet for some chit chat about our cars? Im right neear the beach bra, Kanehoe side!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

dude got to hawaii fbody site! www.phfba.net
Old 12-16-2006, 03:02 PM
12 Second Club

Tune ordered today... gotta start the fun part of figuring out what is best.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Were did you order a tune from?
Old 12-16-2006, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1FIRE
Were did you order a tune from?

HPT.

The fun will start when I get home today and get settled.. Hope for the best expect the worst.. LOL I gotta laugh about it or id be all pissed off.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

The tunning has started its getting there.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

how do you no what your if you dont have a wideband! What yall are doing is pointless without a wideband. What makes it even worse is this is the 1st car yall have ever tuned so be carefull! you got alot of $ in that motor!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Dan so true Justin has been doing tons of reading, people have sent tunes over and have used them as a guide on things. Cause I know u can have the exact same 2 motors and the same tune for one car might not work as well with the other car. I do need to buy a wideband yes.. Christmas killed any extra money I had by far...
Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Well the cam was checked it is not off a tooth good news I guess. Put it all back together and the tune that was in there either got deleted when I disconnected the battery or something. I had to manually idle the car for 10min and still no good. so we hooked the cpu to it and plugged in the old tune with the timming @ idle being 26. Ran the car logged some info and while running the timming was around 40 so that has to be changed even more. A few changes where made to it. AF is almost perfect a little lean but getting there. Can feel a lot more power than when this was first started. The car breaks loose in 1st, 2nd and 3rd with ease and doesnt want to stay planted.. I need LCAs to fix that.. It pulls a lot harder though. A few more tweeks and off to dyno and hopefully DYNO tune it.