Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

AFR 205's (347 CID) 510 RWHP / 442RWTQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That car actually came up in conversation yesterday discussing headers and other things related. They even said themselves they were shocked at the number that car rolled....and btw it only picked up 4 unlocked if I recall which is also a little strange. Perhaps Mike or George could chime in. As I said though....a few weeks earlier I was there and personally witnessed an 05' GTO with an M6 roll 340's with headers and minor bolt ons. Plus both my car and Dennis's mimic TQ numbers (and power) seen on other local dyno's.

The speculation on these numbers will be put to rest at the track hopefully in the next month or so....the MPH the car runs will back the dyno figures. I dont even care about the ET because trap speed is where its at when discussing (questioning) power output. ET shows how well the car applies that power, track prep, and driving technique primarily related to 60 foot times.

Tony
Old 02-18-2007, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

wow excellent numbers Tony! AFR does it again.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Thanks guys....

Concerning the DCR I dont know exactly what it was and of course it will vary depending on who's program you use to run it on (it really is a theoretical tool that I feel people on the Internet have begun to place to high on emphasis on versus's real world proven results and experience), BUT....if I had to guess I bet it would only be in the low 8's. Hell, the DCR on my own 383 is only in the high 7's yet that engine just popped 497 RWTQ and 543 RWHP with a larger header and some addtional time spent tuning on the chassis dyno. While more static CR would have helped both (the DCR and power output) my point is the engine still makes huge power in spite of a DCR most would agree is on the low side. I think to date it is still the strongest pump gas 383 I have seen but could be wrong.

Regards,
Tony

I was just curious about the DCR in relation to how pump gas friendly this might be with a slightly lower SCR. You guys have got some great results. I am looking forward to my new combo coming this summer (does the madness ever stop?). I am going to be taking a tuning class so I can know a little something about tuning, but I will not be doing my own tuning...it is just a gee whiz like to know thing. John02Ss is my tuner.

Jon
Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Tony,

It was great meeting Saturday and I am astonished at the results I was able to put down for Dennis and you. Oh, and I will get you the scanned image of the actual dyno sheet soon. Let Dennis know my neck is doing better today. I will try and make time to help you with your car as well very soon.

As for the pther post, yes it is the same dyno, and if we can keep it seperate, it would be great.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Tony,

It was great meeting Saturday and I am astonished at the results I was able to put down for Dennis and you. Oh, and I will get you the scanned image of the actual dyno sheet soon. Let Dennis know my neck is doing better today. I will try and make time to help you with your car as well very soon.

As for the pther post, yes it is the same dyno, and if we can keep it seperate, it would be great.
12secSS,
This one needs to go on our featured vehicle link.

Hey Tony, I think you were the one I met at SEMA. I have not forgotten what we talked about, so email me.

-Ken
HP Tuners
Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Let Dennis know my neck is doing better today.
Haha! Sorry George, I was going to recommend a good physical therapist for you if it continued to bother you! Things tend to happen quickly with that m12/3.90 gear set. I was out in the car yesterday and what a hoot it is to drive, with very docile manners, until you ask it for more. Docile quickly becomes explosive. Quite fun except for the occasional neck ache! Thanks again George for a job very well done.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awsome tony. my old AFR 205's rocked. when are you going to produce a AFR ls7 typ head,so i can dump the ported l92's that will be going on my car?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Is the cam a solid? What valve springs? Thanks. I wish I had that engine in my car.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Is the cam a solid? What valve springs? Thanks. I wish I had that engine in my car.
The cam is a hydraulic lifter cam, from what I recall. I do not know the springs, Tony will be the best to answer that.

Originally Posted by Amerkin
Haha! Sorry George, I was going to recommend a good physical therapist for you if it continued to bother you! Things tend to happen quickly with that m12/3.90 gear set. I was out in the car yesterday and what a hoot it is to drive, with very docile manners, until you ask it for more. Docile quickly becomes explosive. Quite fun except for the occasional neck ache! Thanks again George for a job very well done.
Glad you like it Dennis, this is why I like tuning EFI ... when I can see people happy with their vehicles.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

Nice numbers..... what did these heads cost to make this power?

I've been searching for that information for a while now.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by jeffstar
Nice numbers..... what did these heads cost to make this power?

I've been searching for that information for a while now.
What have you been searching for? All this info is readily available on our website or a quick PM away by contacting myself.

In Dennis's case they were obviously damaged used heads so he spent some additional money on valves and a few guides that were broke....we then freshened the valve job, cleaned the heads, and milled them to 58 cc's. The only thing you would have to do ordering them new is to provide us with the correct mill info (58 cc's in this case obviously) and also opt for the 8019 spring upgrade (about $100).....Total cost would be $2565 direct from AFR including the mill and spring upgrade.

The key is getting the rest of the combination to match.....thats where all the money comes in. Make no mistake about the fact that Dennis's entire combination takes $$$ to duplicate, but the end results justify the price of admission.

BTW the cam was a custom ground hydraulic roller....not a solid

Hope this helps...

Tony
Old 02-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Tony...

1. How many times did you remove the intake manifold during testing?
2. How many times did you remove the valve covers to adjust the rockers?
3. Why were there no CNC marks in any of the runners?
4. Why can I not produce these same results in my home-ported, GM-cast LS1 heads (which, by the way, are much more affordable)?
5. Can this setup run on 85 octane?

For the others out there, yes, I'm joking...Tony will certainly get it. Great results. Not bad for some "outdated" heads...
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm still floored that you made these numbers with cats! Go California, LOL~!

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
So Tony...

1. How many times did you remove the intake manifold during testing?
2. How many times did you remove the valve covers to adjust the rockers?
3. Why were there no CNC marks in any of the runners?
4. Why can I not produce these same results in my home-ported, GM-cast LS1 heads (which, by the way, are much more affordable)?
5. Can this setup run on 85 octane?

For the others out there, yes, I'm joking...Tony will certainly get it. Great results. Not bad for some "outdated" heads...
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Be wery wery quiet.....(my best Elmer Fudd impersonation)....you might wake up Flow-Troll

Old 02-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Patrick G
I'm still floored that you made these numbers with cats! Go California, LOL~!
No kidding...I drove by some very happy baby seals this morning. They died shortly thereafter due to the excess crap coming out of my catless exhaust

Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Great stuff Tony. You guys are the ****!!!
Let's get those specs out so we can order that cam.

J.R.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

where those cats the ones that come with the lg pro headers? They must flow a shitload of air.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
What have you been searching for? All this info is readily available on our website or a quick PM away by contacting myself.

In Dennis's case they were obviously damaged used heads so he spent some additional money on valves and a few guides that were broke....we then freshened the valve job, cleaned the heads, and milled them to 58 cc's. The only thing you would have to do ordering them new is to provide us with the correct mill info (58 cc's in this case obviously) and also opt for the 8019 spring upgrade (about $100).....Total cost would be $2565 direct from AFR including the mill and spring upgrade.

The key is getting the rest of the combination to match.....thats where all the money comes in. Make no mistake about the fact that Dennis's entire combination takes $$$ to duplicate, but the end results justify the price of admission.

BTW the cam was a custom ground hydraulic roller....not a solid

Hope this helps...

Tony
Sure I'll shoot you a PM. I'm glad the AFR's can make the kind of power the TFS heads can I just want to know if they are price comparable. Looks like they are but I'm not sure. I know exactly how much my heads cost and that was completely assembled and completely ported...ready to bolt on. They were the same price you listed for the heads that made 510 rwhp in this dyno. around 2600.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Tony,

One thing I have noticed as of late is that you seem to have an affinity towards the new, lighter weight Yella Terra rockers...do you consider those to be a good (albeit cheaper) alternative to a more expensive shaft mount setup (like Jessels)? Seems like they are doing their jobs, and quite well. I would also assume that they don't require any additional machining?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I've noticed this too, Tony. How do the Yella Terras compare to say the Crane Gold rockers?

Quick Reply: AFR 205's (347 CID) 510 RWHP / 442RWTQ