Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

408... Should I be disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go again folks....

My old car, my old setup. The car drove fine when it left Texas over a year ago now even though the valve springs had some miles on them (you knew this). The car made 466 with standard air at the time, SAE was higher I believe those were the numbers that were saved and printed. There are some other graphs elsewhere on some computer showing that it made that or above, or whatever. The motor was built by one of the best in the business, he's still on the board and many people have ran the number with his motors many times, no junk parts at all. The guy that did the initial SD tune knows more about tuning cars than sponsors to the right. In my opinion (and some others) of course.

You can dispute, question, and post a hundred threads or more about what should you make, what will it make, and so forth. I never lied about the car when it sold, never made any false claims or anything of that sort. It made what I told you, what the sheets (that I had available) provided said, and thats that.

I can point out a few other cars with 40x setups on 241/243 (marginally better) stock heads that have made near similar numbers, though nothing more than that. At the same time, there are many more cars and setups that have made similar power (420-440ish, or even lower) with the same or similar combinations. The tuning plays a large factor in it, in my opinion.

Yes, the car needs a set of heads, thats very obvious and has been said time and time and time again. Put a set of heads on it a 90/90 or whatever you were planning a year ago and you'll make over 500 I'm certain, if the guy tuning has half of an idea whats going on.

As for picking up power with the tune, thats great, was the new tune before or after the springs? Nonetheless its an improvement over that 40x number you mentioned a while back.

I'm curious as to why the UD pulley had to go, as you cited belt eating problems. I can't recall seeing anyone ditching a UD pulley because of belt problems. Most belt problems are solved by replacing the tensioner (it does get worn out after all) with a Katech or similar non springed piece.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
I would be disappointed if I were you. Before the Fast 90/90 my car put down 424 rwhp threw a 12 bolt with a heavy steel driveshaft and 4.11 gears. Then I switched to a Fast 90/90 ,4.30 gears and retuned and made 452rwhp . Still stock bottom end and ported 241 heads
Apples to oranges my friend. Comparing a big cubed motor that doesnt turn alot of rpm (say peak is around or under 6k) to a ported small inch setup thats reving at least 600rpm higher, if not more, to make that number..... with a higher flowing intake setup.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:41 AM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brandon Boomhauer
Apples to oranges my friend. Comparing a big cubed motor that doesnt turn alot of rpm (say peak is around or under 6k) to a ported small inch setup thats reving at least 600rpm higher, if not more, to make that number..... with a higher flowing intake setup.

seems like you got rid of you set up for a reason my friend thats why you should have bought it new

Last edited by smok'nZ; 06-03-2007 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smok'nZ
seems like you got rid of you set up for a reason my friend thats why it you should have bought it new
WTF?!?! It hurt my brain just trying to understand what you said.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:04 AM
MASS seller approved

is that better retard
Old 06-03-2007, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

after reading this thread I have now come to realize that some of you are complete retards and know very little about engines.

Engines make power in 3 ways...

air in
air out
displacement

This car has only one good trait. Displacement.

Stick a set of 241's on a 408 you will make the same power as a 346 with a decent cam, 90/90, good exhaust, and RPM.

I would hope some of you understand that some cams work better with more restrictive intakes. Engines make power from velocity, compression, lack of turbulance, scavenging, tuning, venturi, swirl, and 1000 other variables. It is not the motor or the cam.... it is the combo that is wrong here.

Take your car to a doctor and get it on a treatment plan.

btw, 119 mph is about what your car should run for 42Xrwhp..... put the car around 500 and it should be in the 121-123 ballpark. Put the car over 550rwhp and it should be 125-127 mph ballpark.

Get a 90/90, re-tune, and make sure you have 1 7/8 headers w/ duals etc.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

seems like you got rid of you set up for a reason my friend thats why you should have bought it new
Yes, I sold the car for a reason... My reason was I was no longer interested in owning a trans am at the time, and wanted a truck.

Now quit trolling this thread.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear what your saying but I was just answering the question posted in the thread. The car has great potential to make more power. I wouldn't stop there if it was my car but I seem to take all my toys to the extream
Old 06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

is that better retard
HAHA retard. Thats original. To answer your question, no, it's not better. Sad, I failed every semester of English my high school career and can hardly make out the dribble that comes from your keyboard. Not that its any of your business but the motor was put in the car simply because the 346 let go. As the saying goes, "Don't replace. Upgrade". For a car that had something wrong with it, it sure did scoot.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:47 AM
TECH Resident

wow. never heard of sock heads on a stroker. ouch.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 AM
MASS seller approved

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
HAHA retard. Thats original. To answer your question, no, it's not better. Sad, I failed every semester of English my high school career and can hardly make out the dribble that comes from your keyboard. Not that its any of your business but the motor was put in the car simply because the 346 let go. As the saying goes, "Don't replace. Upgrade". For a car that had something wrong with it, it sure did scoot.
i was saying he should have started from the beginning if you dont want someone else's work
Old 06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i was saying he should have started from the beginning if you dont want someone else's work
Unless you are God and create every molecule, isn't it always someone else's work that you use?

I know, I've contributed nothing to this thread.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm curious as to why the UD pulley had to go, as you cited belt eating problems. I can't recall seeing anyone ditching a UD pulley because of belt problems. Most belt problems are solved by replacing the tensioner (it does get worn out after all) with a Katech or similar non springed piece.
The car ate a couple belts and I took it to get looked at and it appeared that the pulley was out of alignment. The pulley was re-machined and we thought everything was fine. Fast forward to me taking a trip up north. 60 miles down the road, the pulley comes off of the freakin crank. I don't know why, wasn't driving hard or anything, just cruisin at 70 mph. Stock pulley on, no problems since.

I'm in no way saying you bullshitted me or anything of the like. I didn't know the 10 bolt was on the car when it made 466 rwhp. Along with that, it has no u/d and a heavier twin disc setup. Those three things certainly make a 30 rwhp difference in my book.

When I put new valve springs on, the car made 409 rwhp one time, 416 the next. Car was re-tuned, made 432 rwhp and picked up about 5 miles a gallon. I didn't start this thread to **** people off, especially you Brandon. You've helped me a ton with the questions about this car and I didn't mean to offend you whatsoever. I appreciate all the help you've given me.

And for those wondering, yes the car has true duals.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
dude, i made 432rwhp cam only. There is definitely something going wrong here. More compression, almost 70 more cubes, and a bigger cam equal my numbers?
Good point, but on the other hand, your heads and your intake fit your combo.

His heads and his intake don't fit his combo at all. It's all about the combination working together.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Louie83
Good point, but on the other hand, your heads and your intake fit your combo.

His heads and his intake don't fit his combo at all. It's all about the combination working together.
exactly....its not rocket science.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by santiago
exactly....its not rocket science.
no ****, just saying, as i said before: i figured that if i added the extra displacement, larger cam, and higher compression that it would have yielded more than a 10 hp increase on my setup.

jesus, not trying to step on anyones toes
Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
no ****, just saying, as i said before: i figured that if i added the extra displacement, larger cam, and higher compression that it would have yielded more than a 10 hp increase on my setup.

jesus, not trying to step on anyones toes
i jus spent $4150 on a new 408 i need to get my car running and cant **** out an extra $2500 so for the time being i will run stock 6.0l heads. plain and simple.