Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dynoed tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
No the bird isnt a daily driver anymore. The MS4 is what I chose after reading about it. You can use stock heads and no need to flycut. It also is very streetable. I can try Jeff again closer to the time when I have the money for the tune. Right now I still am getting all I need for the cam swap
o ok good luck with your cam...from what i have seen it really doesn't start to make any useful power until like 4k and up, just make sure you get some good springs, a guy just posted in the internal section the other day about how he had an MS4 and his springs wore out in less then 10k miles
Old 07-29-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
o ok good luck with your cam...from what i have seen it really doesn't start to make any useful power until like 4k and up, just make sure you get some good springs, a guy just posted in the internal section the other day about how he had an MS4 and his springs wore out in less then 10k miles
Well, spring life is determined by how high you rev on a daily basis. Obviously the springs will last a lot longer if you're granny driving around town with a few spirited runs here and there like I do.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the patriot extremes...just got them Thursday. As far as driving I am far from being like a granny
Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well you better start because with that cam the cops are going to be on you like crazy. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a small cam and just been happy with beating mustangs.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Sometimes I wish I had gone with a small cam and just been happy with beating mustangs.
that is what just about everyone that has gone with cams like an ms4 ends up saying...honestly that cam wont make any power until you hit about 3500 rpms or so, it will be like driving a honda or something. as far as streetability almost any cam can be considered streetable to many people but i personally don't think a cam with a powerband that high would be very useful on the street especially if you plan on keeping the stock 3.42 gears. 4.10s would help but the car would still have to be revved to the moon with that cam. Not trying to hate on your cam or anything just that lots of people have gone with big cams just because other people have said they are fine and then later on they end up switching to a smaller cam
Old 07-29-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, just for overall driveability sake, that's a quite large cam, especially for an auto. She's gonna need a bigger stall and gears for that to be pleasurable, which means more money.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Well, just for overall driveability sake, that's a quite large cam, especially for an auto. She's gonna need a bigger stall and gears for that to be pleasurable, which means more money.
she has a m6..but still overall driveability is gonna be pretty bad
Old 07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, for some reason I thought it was auto. Well, that helps a lot more in terms of gearing.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll let Tim talk to you guys about this one
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many Cammed cars have you driven?

that is what just about everyone that has gone with cams like an ms4 ends up saying...honestly that cam wont make any power until you hit about 3500 rpms or so, it will be like driving a honda or something.
Do you realize that you don't start making peak horse power in the car you have now, as it is, until around 3500-5000? That is why people go with higher stall converters (ie:3500-4200 stall), So that when you launch Full throttle you are already in your power band. The whole reason for doing the cam is so that when you launch you have higher power when you hit those RPM's. High RPM on an LS1 would be like 5000-6200, not 3500. You want your power at 3500-5000.
as far as streetability almost any cam can be considered streetable to many people but i personally don't think a cam with a powerband that high would be very useful on the street especially if you plan on keeping the stock 3.42 gears. 4.10s would help but the car would still have to be revved to the moon with that cam.
Now what I want you to do, is go out and launch full throttle somewhere, watch your RPMs and tell me how long you sit in the 1500-3500 RPM range. At the track you would almost never be that low in the RPMs. Do you think I would let her put a useless cam in her car?
How many times have I diagnosed something wrong?
Not trying to hate on your cam or anything just that lots of people have gone with big cams just because other people have said they are fine and then later on they end up switching to a smaller cam
Yeah, and lots of under-educated and uninformed people on here and many other boards buy exhaust and headers because they saw other people did them, only to complain later about "Loud Exhaust" or "Rasp" or some other silly problem. The idea here is to read first.... Get all you need and use the power the way it is meant to be used. Also a honda Revs much higher, like 7000. and S2000s rev to 9000.

Last edited by Gangreen; 07-29-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

So the only other mods you'll have will be LT's and a lid with this cam?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the only other mods you'll have will be LT's and a lid with this cam?
No, I have an LS6 intake, CAI, EGR! (whether that matters or not). I'm putting a LS2 timing chain and a ported LS6 oil pump on also.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gangreen
How many Cammed cars have you driven?

Do you realize that you don't start making peak horse power in the car you have now, as it is, until around 3500-5000? That is why people go with higher stall converters (ie:3500-4200 stall), So that when you launch Full throttle you are already in your power band. The whole reason for doing the cam is so that when you launch you have higher power when you hit those RPM's. High RPM on an LS1 would be like 5000-6200, not 3500. You want your power at 3500-5000.
Now what I want you to do, is go out and launch full throttle somewhere, watch your RPMs and tell me how long you sit in the 1500-3500 RPM range. At the track you would almost never be that low in the RPMs. Do you think I would let her put a useless cam in her car?
How many times have I diagnosed something wrong?

Yeah, and lots of under-educated and uninformed people on here and many other boards buy exhaust and headers because they saw other people did them, only to complain later about "Loud Exhaust" or "Rasp" or some other silly problem. The idea here is to read first.... Get all you need and use the power the way it is meant to be used. Also a honda Revs much higher, like 7000. and S2000s rev to 9000.
all of what you said is true but how often do you drive around at 3500 rpm on the street?? On the track that cam will be great, im not denying that but how often is the car gonna be driven at the track? also i think you guys are forgetting about the fact that she still has stock rod bolts which is also a problem when you are spinning the motor that high...that cam is gonna peak at about 6500, most people spin cams like that to close to 7k and it will not have any power over stock until over 3500 rpm or so. I have an issue of GMHTP at my house if you guys wanna see it where they tested the ms4 and it didn't really start to make power until it was really high in the powerband and thats why i am saying it isn't the best choice if you are gonna mostly be driving the car on the street... there is also a thread at the top of the internal section which talks about this exact subject and many people in there that have had big cams were complaining about their cars bucking and surging under 2500 rpm and many of them have actually switched back to smaller cams and still have ran great track times. but if you plan on doing alot of racing then you guys made a good cam choice
Old 07-30-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

So what are the actual goals with this cam?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flamin' bird
No the bird isnt a daily driver anymore. The MS4 is what I chose after reading about it. You can use stock heads and no need to flycut. It also is very streetable. I can try Jeff again closer to the time when I have the money for the tune. Right now I still am getting all I need for the cam swap
I would be flycutting with that cam, I dont care who tells you otherwise. When you do the swap measure your PTVC and see for yourself. if it comes out to be less than .080 intake and .100 exhaust then you may as well yank the heads and cut for for safety, id rather spend an extra day doing the cutting rather than get it together and have a slight mishap and send the valve through the piston top.

As for it being so streetable I highly doubt that with the over 15 degrees of overlap and the giant loss of dynamic compression it will be as streetable as you think. But hey streetability is all relative.

Lots of Internet geniuses and hearsay in this thread.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yoiu dont even own a cammed car do you? Have you seen the graphs on MS4 cars? Most of them are well over 350 ft lbs at 3K rpm's, which is plenty of down low power. It aint gonna drive like a honda down low, it would rape you bolton car down low.

The drivebaility issue comes from the high overlap, which in the low end can cause a lot of bucking and surging. It can be cured with tuning and gears, but only to a certain extent.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
Yoiu dont even own a cammed car do you? Have you seen the graphs on MS4 cars? Most of them are well over 350 ft lbs at 3K rpm's, which is plenty of down low power. It aint gonna drive like a honda down low, it would rape you bolton car down low.

The drivebaility issue comes from the high overlap, which in the low end can cause a lot of bucking and surging. It can be cured with tuning and gears, but only to a certain extent.
when i said it would drive like a honda i didn't mean it would have no torque at all..what i basically meant is it wont get into the power band until it really hits pretty high in the rpm range much like a honda does..if you actually read most of what i said you would see that i was basically saying on the street the car really wont start making power until about 3500 rpms and would peak around 6500 or a lil higher. and no i may not have a cammed car yet but most of the people that probably told her the cam is very streetable probably don't have cammed cars either. i have been reasearching cams for a while so that when i go with my H/C setup (which will be very soon) I will pick a cam that is streetable and still runs well at the track
Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

You could buy A used copy of HPtuners and get a dyno tune for 800 bucks... Then you can have ALL the tunes you need....
Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

when i said it would drive like a honda i didn't mean it would have no torque at all..what i basically meant is it wont get into the power band until it really hits pretty high in the rpm range much like a honda does..if you actually read most of what i said you would see that i was basically saying on the street the car really wont start making power until about 3500 rpms and would peak around 6500 or a lil higher. and no i may not have a cammed car yet but most of the people that probably told her the cam is very streetable probably don't have cammed cars either. i have been reasearching cams for a while so that when i go with my H/C setup (which will be very soon) I will pick a cam that is streetable and still runs well at the track
So over 350 ft-lbs at 3k rpm's is weak to you? I did read what you said and you said it will drive like a honda until up high in the rpm's. 350 ft-lbs down low is more power than a stock LS1.

I am with you on the streetable H/C setup. I have a medium size cam with a good set of heads and make 450 and its very drivable.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

and no i may not have a cammed car yet but most of the people that probably told her the cam is very streetable probably don't have cammed cars either.
This is the biggest problem with LS1Tech and other boards like it. People regergitating third-hand information like it's fact that they know from personal experiance. Even get all worked up about it when you call 'em on it!

I wish if a person wasn't speaking from personal experience, they would either shut the **** up or write that they either read it or heard it but don't know first hand. There's nothing wrong with saying, "I'm still deciding on my fist cam [or whatever], but from what I've researched on here..."