346 CID, AFR 225's 14PSI = 800 RWHP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
KP...

I helped a customer awhile back with one of my ported 90 set-ups and we were both a little disappointed with the gains (around 12-14 RWHP if I recall).

Long story short is he had a pair of budget ported OEM heads and at the time the only thing that made a little sense is that a weaker flowing head is obviously less resricted by an LS6 manifold. We discussed some 205's in his future and about 3-6 months later he finally bit the bullet and did the swap (He was already making 430+ RWHP, had a sizable cam in the mid high 230's @ .050, headers, my ported intake, CAI....all the typical bolt-ons). Long story short is the head swap picked him up close to 50+ RWHP with no other changes and only a slight bump in CR.

IMO, the extra 10-15 ponies he picked up over a typical head swap was unlocked due to tapping into the better manifold he had purchased months prior. Now he had a head that could better exploit the capabilities of the higher flowing larger manifold.

That was my theory at the time and it certainly makes alot of sense.
It would make sense, the combination of parts is king as you well know.

On mine the AFRs picked me up quite a bit over the Dart 225s that were on it, solid 2mph in the 1/8 (didnt dyno between them) which is pretty significant but the main thing I was concerned about was the head gaskets and they seem to be holding up well. I might try another 90/90 down the road, at this point I would be happy with 10-15hp, that little bit is getting hard to find these days without some major changes..
Old 08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Awesome power curve Don...

What was more exciting for me personally is the net gains from the parts swapped.....although no matter how you slice it close to 800 RWHP from a 346 is impressive on pump gas. Actually from my perspective there's a little more to the story. The customer thought I was half full of baloney and selling him a bag of rocks whenever we had the chance to discuss the potential head/intake swap over the last two years....LOL (At the very least I will say he was very pessemistic that our heads would produce significantly better results than the ported LS6 casting alot of time and money was invested in).

Of course, things didnt go that smoothly at first (after the swap) with various fuel delivery issues and other "gremlins" and ultimately it appeared the results were kind of mediocre (better but not as good as we had hoped and probaby alot closer to what he expected....LOL). Turns out the largest issue was the number four main bearing slowly welding itself to the crank heating the oil and creating obvious excess drag. Once that situation became clearly apparent (and ultimately resolved) everything started to fall in place with the results actually exceeding the 750-775 target figure him and I had discussed very early on.

Also Don, 800 RWHP 346 inch blown street engines are not that common....not yet anyway. You certainly had a good piece awhile back.

Catch up with you at SEMA

Putting a combo together to last with this power is the trick. The AFR225's have proved themselves over and over at our shop.We have multiple 750+rwhp DD cars driving around with our top pump gas one at 860hp/840tq (2years and going strong).

Too bad that the car I posted was tuned almost 2 years ago ussing a MAF,stock MAP and LS1 edit.Since then the car has been sold and gone.Would love to see what the new tuning software could of done.

I would think the reason we don't see this power level out of 346's as common is because the cost of the whole package.By the time you upgrade fuel,tranny/driveline ect it gets very expensive.

MMM SEMA -- Adult entertainment on you
Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats to all concerned! Very impressive!

Do we know what the SCR was on this engine?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

Here's a few easy shakedown passes from this new setup!!

Shakedown passes

Nice write up Tony, but I would not have pulled the trigger if I did not have faith in you!!
JB
Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 AM
9 Second Club

That car is SICK! Pulls like a ****! And the chick at the end tops its all off!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but from what I'm gathering out of the thread on corvette forum he put in a new motor, a new blower, and then the new heads/cam/intake manifold, not just a heads/cam/intake swap? Either way that car is badass.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 AM
8 Second Club

How the hell do you get traction?-I run M/T ET Drag radials 315/35/17's and after heating them up I can fry them for 500 feet! I can't even roll into the throttle at 88 mph?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eb02z06
How the hell do you get traction?-I run M/T ET Drag radials 315/35/17's and after heating them up I can fry them for 500 feet! I can't even roll into the throttle at 88 mph?

Try a set of Nitto NT-01s, I run 315/30/18 in the back, and 275/35/18 in front. They hook better then DRs for me, and handle in the canyons like an F1 car!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FI....

COME to the dark side.

Awesome numbers.

Quick Reply: 346 CID, AFR 225's 14PSI = 800 RWHP!!