Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

*RESULTS* 402/Livernois L92s/Patrick G cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
That's not uncommon with cathedral port heads, but the larger headers seem to really wake up the L92 heads.
thats what i like to hear, its nice to know theres still a good amount left on the table
Old 08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDP
oh, its not about the tuner at all? just the heads you sold to me?

car feels **** wide open, sounds **** too, need to get some soundclips up.

Chad just wanted to mention head to you on an open forum Dan is great, especially w/ driveability. My car has an aweful cam in it with notorious driveability issues, supposedly the car had been attempted to be tuned twice before I bought it. I took it somewhere else first and they messed up the driveability so bad I never wanted to drive the thing. Dan tuned it in an hour and the driveability is like stock.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDP
oh, its not about the tuner at all? just the heads you sold to me?

car feels **** wide open, sounds **** too, need to get some soundclips up.
That's a lot of ****! That's okay who doesn't like a nice set of TIT-TAYS!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome numbers! You should get it out to the track. There is a Motown Muscle rental coming up Tuesday night September 18th. You should come out! That should be plenty of time to get it broken in and ready.

-Geoff
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

so let me get this straight. you paid 2k for a set of heads that flow 360. since hte l92s are so great how come they need to be ported to flow 360 to achieve barely 500rwhp? when you can pay that same amount for a set of Catheralport heads and produce numbers in hte 550s that flow alot less. also on 6.0s and 6.2s they make around 480 on average with less cubes. so you gained 20rwhp by spending more and by going larger cubes.....

great numbers none the less but the hype for L92s arent there for strokers. they have to be ported to reach what some 6.0/6.2s are doing with same topends
Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quik
so let me get this straight. you paid 2k for a set of heads that flow 360. since hte l92s are so great how come they need to be ported to flow 360 to achieve barely 500rwhp? when you can pay that same amount for a set of Catheralport heads and produce numbers in hte 550s that flow alot less. also on 6.0s and 6.2s they make around 480 on average with less cubes. so you gained 20rwhp by spending more and by going larger cubes.....

great numbers none the less but the hype for L92s arent there for strokers. they have to be ported to reach what some 6.0/6.2s are doing with same topends
I wouldn't say the L92's are inferior. I would say the intake is restricting them. Give them a sheetmetal intake or when an aftermarket composite intake comes out, they WILL walk all over the cathedral port heads. It's called planning/building for the future. And it will be cheaper than cathedral ports.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jantzer98SS
I wouldn't say the L92's are inferior. I would say the intake is restricting them. Give them a sheetmetal intake or when an aftermarket composite intake comes out, they WILL walk all over the cathedral port heads. It's called planning/building for the future. And it will be cheaper than cathedral ports.
2k price tag for less performance? and they compard the L76 to the fast 90. so where lies the problem? down the line probably will provail for strokers but right now 6.0/6.2s produce better numbers on untouched heads
Old 08-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Banned

2k price tag for less performance? and they compard the L76 to the fast 90. so where lies the problem?
$2k is more than I paid for fully ported L92's with stainless valves and good springs. Try $1500-1700. The intake kit is only about $500-550. So $2000-2100 for the complete heads, intake, rails, and injectors. The Fast intake, rails, injectors alone is about $1300-1400. And the AFR setups I have seen don't put down much if any more power than the ported L92's on the strokers.

The L76 & Fast 90 is not a good comparison. Stock to Aftermarket? More like L76 & LS2. It's just a matter of time, and there will be an aftermarket intake for the L92. I know it won't be THAT long. Actually I've seen L92 sheetmetals and I'm working on my own..... I'm sure Fast will come through sooner than later. Oh and what about ported L76's. They CAN be ported, I ported mine. I'm just waiting for the project to be complete and I will be doing some serious testing of the stock L76, ported L76, and sheetmetal on my 427.

And we are no where near finding the optimum cam for these heads. I think LG has had some good results with the LS2/LS3 motors though.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The next time u make a post bashing any kind of part make sure u tell everyone why. Here Ill do it for ya. Quik hates the L92heads because he thinks the heads failed on his motor. What he doesnt realize is the error was mostly his fault. He was so determind to out do a few racers in pittsburgh and it backed fired on him. He hurried up and put a motor together and never really did his homework like checking the piston to valve clearance. the L92 heads are new and there isnt alot of info out there but for the most part guys running them are doing well with them. Quik is bitter towards anything that doesnt go his way. Which most of us are that way to but he just takes it alittle to far. Quik performance part do fail but when they fail because of ur own error there is no need to bash the parts.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

my heads cost 2 grand, and my intake cost 200 bucks, thats way cheaper than some AFR heads with a fast intake.

now, i am just going to wait to see what options for the intake ill have in the offseason, plus everything else i need to do, the car will put down a real strong number into the 500s, that seems damn good to me for a pump gas 402 with a nitrous cam.

its still early for the l92 heads, the market for them can only grow, because these heads flow bad *** for the price you can get them for, people just need to find the right combo for them.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JDP
my heads cost 2 grand, and my intake cost 200 bucks, thats way cheaper than some AFR heads with a fast intake.

now, i am just going to wait to see what options for the intake ill have in the offseason, plus everything else i need to do, the car will put down a real strong number into the 500s, that seems damn good to me for a pump gas 402 with a nitrous cam.

its still early for the l92 heads, the market for them can only grow, because these heads flow bad *** for the price you can get them for, people just need to find the right combo for them.
I remember back in early 2000 or 2001 the ls1 aftermarket heads werent even coming close to what there doing now. I can only image once the l92 are well tested and the right combos are figured how well these heads are going to proform. but for now the price of these heads is a very good price for someone wanting a budget head.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

i think carcraft or hotrod did a build up with a mainly stock lq4 with L92's. they produced around 550hp i believe. their flow #'s are comparable to LS7 heads and they are far cheaper. for some reason i thought there was already an intake (LSX style) for these heads, guess my imagination convinced me. anyway, don't they have a single plane carb style intake for these? i can't remember what the magazine did, but i am planning my build for my '97 T/A around the LQ4, L92, carbed intake idea. and if money allows, fuel injection using the intake.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
The next time u make a post bashing any kind of part make sure u tell everyone why. Here Ill do it for ya. Quik hates the L92heads because he thinks the heads failed on his motor. What he doesnt realize is the error was mostly his fault. He was so determind to out do a few racers in pittsburgh and it backed fired on him. He hurried up and put a motor together and never really did his homework like checking the piston to valve clearance. the L92 heads are new and there isnt alot of info out there but for the most part guys running them are doing well with them. Quik is bitter towards anything that doesnt go his way. Which most of us are that way to but he just takes it alittle to far. Quik performance part do fail but when they fail because of ur own error there is no need to bash the parts.
Interesting...

L92 "failures" invoke this response:

Originally Posted by SideStep
I just road in this car...

Of all the rides I have been in this is absolutely the most mechanically quiet. I simply don't understand it, 13 degrees overlap and the steering wheel was not shaking at all at idle. You hear the car from the exhaust, not from under the hood...

Throttle response was brutal and rolling through 3rd gear flat puts your *** in the seat.

I was one of the original skeptics from earlier posts and I am not afraid to admit I am now eating crow about this.

Absolutely the most civilized 500rwhp I have ever experienced... Props to all those involved
Old 08-28-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Interesting...

L92 "failures" invoke this response:

Originally Posted by SideStep
I just road in this car...

Of all the rides I have been in this is absolutely the most mechanically quiet. I simply don't understand it, 13 degrees overlap and the steering wheel was not shaking at all at idle. You hear the car from the exhaust, not from under the hood...

Throttle response was brutal and rolling through 3rd gear flat puts your *** in the seat.

I was one of the original skeptics from earlier posts and I am not afraid to admit I am now eating crow about this.
Absolutely the most civilized 500rwhp I have ever experienced... Props to all those involved
Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSXNV
i think carcraft or hotrod did a build up with a mainly stock lq4 with L92's. they produced around 550hp i believe. their flow #'s are comparable to LS7 heads and they are far cheaper.
On the intake side maybe.. but what's the difference in intake runner cross section? What's the difference in exhaust flow?

A lot more to heads than flow numbers.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
On the intake side maybe.. but what's the difference in intake runner cross section? What's the difference in exhaust flow?

A lot more to heads than flow numbers.
very true, i understand the magic of the cathedral port. straight shot in, strait shot out (as close as is possible anyway). not trading air velocity for port volume. but dude, if someone priced me a set of heads that flow upwards of 300cfm at .600 lift for $1500 and said make due. i would find a way to make due.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep this thread on topic! No bashing...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by StreetnStrip
get info straight, you think you know the problem. and it wasnt a PTV issue bud. you make it out like i care about the other races in pittsburgh.

theres a 6.0 in this section making 505rwhp on stage 2 ported head. how come this motor makes same and has more cubes and stage 3 heads that cost 2k?
alos why is there a 370 making 480rwhp with untouched heads? only 25less then a stroker with stage 3 heads?

just saying on strokers they arent producing the numbers they should, 6.0/6.2s are doing well with them
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Launching!

I default to the defense that EVERY DYNO IS DIFFERENT!!! Do you know how many 480 rwhp cars have come through shops and barely made over 400 on a properly calibrated dyno? There have been so many its not funny. So many upset people, but what do they do after the fact? ignore the accurate dyno results and post the "holy grail" numbers.

It makes people feel better when a car makes a good number, and you would be surprised how many shops I know will "make" a car hit the number the guy is expecting (those that run mustang dyno's know what I mean) I was bit by this before taking my car to livernois to have it tuned. I had lofty dreams of making 400 rwhp with minmal work, and an awful camshaft because my car made mid 370's on a mustang dyno. To my dismay I made low 340's on livernois' dynojet, so to see if their dyno was off I took it to another dyno shop, and again low 340's on a dyno jet. This is when I started talking to Dan about calibrations and how too often people will set things up to make a number even if that number is grossly inflated. What does it do? It makes the people that have great "numbers" insult those that dont have great "numbers" when it really matters about how the car performed. My car has beaten ones that "made" 50-60 RWHP more then me, so ultimately what is better? the hp or the performance?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Launching!

to add to this, Justin, your car sounded great and I am happy that the combo pleases you. Dont let the trolls bring you down. And make sure your boy chad is always a few cars behind you it will do his ego some good.

Quick Reply: *RESULTS* 402/Livernois L92s/Patrick G cam