Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Need insight about dyno tune, rich / lean etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need insight about dyno tune, rich / lean etc.

Hi. I have been looking into this subject for awhile and have been searching through past posts on multiple forums to try to find a definite answer. Last spring, I did a few bolt ons and started reading about how some mods make your car run lean, and some make it run rich, etc. Too much of each I know definately have their downfalls, but I am concerned about what I have and if I am running either too lean or too rich. I don't want to damage the engine or shorten it's life because I connot afford to fix it in the near future. I haven't gotten it dyno tuned yet (have the $$ set aside for it this spring) I have been running it untuned since last spring (it's put away for salt and snow months) and hope that I am not shortening it's life by doing so. Hopefully I am just being really paranoid, but thought I should ask the experts. Here is what I have:

-Aftermarket lid
-Smooth bellows
-SLP cold air flowpack
-Ported stock throttle body
-LS6 intake
-Hooker Super comp long tube race headers (1 3/4)
-Hooker ORY
-Magnaflow Catback
-ngk tr55's
-front O2's were changed for the corvette Bosche 13111's

I had a local guy w/ HP Tuners tune out my air, egr, and rear O2's before all of this was installed so I wouldn't have the light.

I have heard sooooo many conflicting opinions about which part makes it run rich, and which makes it run lean. from what I have read, most people say the LS6 intake makes the car run rich, and it seems 50/50 that LT headers make it run lean or rich. I have read some horror stories about people running waay too lean or way to rich. It is mainly a cruiser w/ occasional WOT shots on the highway on ramp (probably 12 second time periods to about 110mph or so). I've read that before WOT, the computer is always calculating how much fuel should be used, but ay WOT, it stops computing, and uses it's last calculation for WOT runs. From what I read, the computer can compensate up to 25%. I read that at the top of the RPM range, if you are running too lean, the car seems like it starts to bog down, but mine doesn't. It runs extremely smooth and I have never gotten any code or had and idleing problems. No matter what, I am getting a dyno tune this summer because I would like this car to run to it's full potential. I apologize if this subject has been beaten into the ground a million times. Thanks for any input. I appriciate it

have a good one!
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be fine with boltons, each car can be different and the only real way of telling is to put a wideband in it. You would be in trouble if you installed a cam or injectors without tuning.