Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

STREET 454 LSX Results Inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jermzz
Here's one that did 600rwhp by American HP and his vette. He doesnt say what the bigger cam made, but when he downgraded he said it "still" pulled to 600rwhp.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=lsx+454

another that did 624, but another cam bump down that still made 600rwhp.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...976&highlight=

both of them are running TFS 245's. There are just the ones I know of from this forum...

Not that i'm doubting you and your shop, you're the man Ron and i'm ordering MY TFS heads from you next week. I'm just curious. I started this build with 600rwhp as my goal cause I had been seeing it, this just discourages me, thats all.

and an lsx 454 is a 4.185 bore x 4.125 stroke where a 427 is a 4.125 bore x 4" stroke, so you're increasing bore and stroke thus hp AND torque, no?

Hmmmm...... A GTO drive train and a vette drivetrain, Not similar cars at all. Id rather have 550 TQ at 4k then 620 at 7k TQ wins races
Old 06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sick car for sure, i'd be proud to own that goat!

....and as for the LS7/TFS argument, here's one for the LS7: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=454

i'm a little discouraged that their graph doesn't show RPM's, but peak numbers and that torque curve are enticing. note the 11.25:1 SCR, stock H20 pump, stock pulley, and unported LS7 intake...

TFS's are reputed for their power under the curve, but i'm not so sure the LS7 heads should be discounted because of that. i planned on running LS7's on my LSX, but that's still up in the air, and the announcement of TFS's 6-bolt head has me second-guessing my previous intentions....i'd like to see a 454LSX car on a dyno and a before/after trial done with several head/cam combos....as well as sheet metal vs. LS7. i want to see how much is actually lost down low and how much is actually gained up high. i'll take the 10rwhp loss down low for the 50rwhp gain up top if that's the case....
Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks, I cant wait to get the car back and drive it.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Can't wait to see how your motor turns out PRAY.

I could imagine what that 454 would do for your zo6, it would pin you to your seat so hard that it would be difficult to reach up and grab the next gear. LOL. It would be sweet. So Ron why haven't we seen any Corvettes with an LSX 454 ?? Make me an offer I can't refuse Ron and I'll be there as a test mule. lol
While we are putting a LSX in our Camaro, next year will probably see an aluminum block stroker of some sort in my Corvette. I almost think it is strange to upset the handling balance of a Vette to dump the weight of the LSX block on the front end, although it would be no different then adding the weight of a big supercharger or turbo kit either. Anyway, as a personal sort of scope on it I am thinking more of a LS7 440ci, for weight on the front of the car instead of the much heavier LSX block. *shrug*

I think it is also, just a little bit easier to offset the front end weight on a F-Body than a Corvette... We have already figured where we can save the weight on the Camaro to reduce the weight added by the LSX...

Although AMERICAN_HP has one sick LSX 454 in his Vette... Oh yeah it is the same one going in our SS... heheh

Last edited by Azrael; 06-02-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is why I went with the stroked LS3 option on mine. I didn't want to upset the car. I had a Procharger on there before and I could feel the difference. So I can imagine what a LSX block would do. I was also going to do the 427 option but you can't juice it or FI it. So the 416 was the best option. It does put you into the seat nice and hard as it.

To the OP, that is an amazing combo for your ride. I have a good friend with an 04 that I keep telling that the only way we are going to get this thing going is with mass cubes and tq.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pray
That is why I went with the stroked LS3 option on mine. I didn't want to upset the car. I had a Procharger on there before and I could feel the difference. So I can imagine what a LSX block would do. I was also going to do the 427 option but you can't juice it or FI it. So the 416 was the best option. It does put you into the seat nice and hard as it.

To the OP, that is an amazing combo for your ride. I have a good friend with an 04 that I keep telling that the only way we are going to get this thing going is with mass cubes and tq.
I'm not the OP but I am the owner of the car. Ron,Mike and the guy's did a hell of a job puting this together. I Agree with you that "TORQUE" is what is going to get this pig of a car flying. I had a Maggie on it at one time and the car performed well but the Maggie was limited. The weight of the Maggie adds about as much as the LSX block so the performance will greatly improve. I have also done some weight reduction on the front of the car and plan on more. I hope to get the Race weight down to between 3500 - 3600.
I could get it down lower but below that the car would be a shell of what it was.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
sick car for sure, i'd be proud to own that goat!

....and as for the LS7/TFS argument, here's one for the LS7: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=454

i'm a little discouraged that their graph doesn't show RPM's, but peak numbers and that torque curve are enticing. note the 11.25:1 SCR, stock H20 pump, stock pulley, and unported LS7 intake...

TFS's are reputed for their power under the curve, but i'm not so sure the LS7 heads should be discounted because of that. i planned on running LS7's on my LSX, but that's still up in the air, and the announcement of TFS's 6-bolt head has me second-guessing my previous intentions....i'd like to see a 454LSX car on a dyno and a before/after trial done with several head/cam combos....as well as sheet metal vs. LS7. i want to see how much is actually lost down low and how much is actually gained up high. i'll take the 10rwhp loss down low for the 50rwhp gain up top if that's the case....
Checked that out. Good power no doubt,I wonder what was up with the TQ spike though. I think if we where to drop this motor i a F-body or a Vette we would see higher numbers at the wheels. I'm happy with this GTO for now though.....! If you have time someday you should check out some of the crazy **** they put in these bodys in Australia.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

oh i know....aussie's are crazy. every time i check out the stuff they build, it makes me wish i made twice as much money as i do and had their devotion to the hobby/sport.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Neat car but I think if I wanted that much torque id probably just end up getting an 03 cobra and slapping a kb on it sounds much easier and cheaper? What kind of shot do you plan on hitting that thing with it already makes good power especially for an n/a street motor it will be a beast on the spray... What are you hoping to run with it?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 PM
9 Second Club

I can't wait to run mine!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by freedom_fighter
I can't wait to run mine!
I cant wait either. I want to see what results you get and compare those to mine.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 PM
FormerVendor

They forgot to mention that the car was virtually unstreetable, and ultimately went with a smaller cam and made the same power as vengence.

My setup is almost EXACT (all the way to the cam) and I am making a little bit more power, but I am running a tad more cr.

I tried a sheetmetal intake and I could have easily hit mid 600's. But it was at the SEVERE sacrafice of the bottom end. The graph literally NEVER fell off.

I just swapped cams again. As well as a FAST 92 with about 10 hours worth of blending. We shal see.

Great job guys...
Originally Posted by jermzz
great #'s!

Ive seen a few TFS headed 454's hitting over 600rw though, so how are those peak numbers unusually high?

either way thats a ton of power!

Last edited by Jeff@TotalPerformanceEng; 06-13-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
FormerVendor

Never seen a 454LSx in a Vette?? Heres mine..

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Can't wait to see how your motor turns out PRAY.

I could imagine what that 454 would do for your zo6, it would pin you to your seat so hard that it would be difficult to reach up and grab the next gear. LOL. It would be sweet. So Ron why haven't we seen any Corvettes with an LSX 454 ?? Make me an offer I can't refuse Ron and I'll be there as a test mule. lol
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks Jeff for posting up. That engine is badass...! How is your car for streetability?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Those TFS245s seem to work great with the 454 LSx
Old 06-14-2008, 11:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98camaroLS1M6
Those TFS245s seem to work great with the 454 LSx
Ya the crapper is that after I got mine they came out with the six bolt heads....
Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

why is the peak power at such a low rpm ??
Old 06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fbodysetc
why is the peak power at such a low rpm ??
The cam choice put the peak power down there. It was chosen so that the car was streetable. I will also be spraying on this later on so the power range will be higher.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

what lifters did you use ??
Old 06-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty sure we used LS7 lifters. As for the peak hp/rpm thing the reason it's low is this is a street motor. On the street you rarely see above 5500rpm so the power band is down where it can be used.

Quick Reply: STREET 454 LSX Results Inside