Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great #'s... good job guys
Old 07-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Maybe I'm confused, but since when does 'cam-only' mean everything, but a head swap? Shouldn't it be refered to as "stock headed?" There are three main parts of a motor when talking about n/a modding and it's heads, cam, intake, hence the 'H/C/I' term. The intake manifold is equally as major important as heads or cam swap, yet somehow it's importance gets swept under the rug when people talk about their mod list. I came from the Mustang world, so maybe I'm not used to the unusual terminology.

There are a few guys who get this confused on CF too. If you install a cam, its basic understanding that you need the exhaust and CAI to run the additional airflow. Those are givens or "bolt-ons". When you move up to "cam only" it simply means the "bolt on" stage has passed and now they are digging into the CAM only leaving the stock heads and bottom end alone. Its just the lingo.

Mods in 4 steps.

1st step - bolt ons
2nd step - cam only (includes bolt ons)
3rd step - H/C (includes bolt ons)
4th step - Anything your wallet can handle.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Your post makes sense, since bolt-ons and exhaust are a given. I'm referring to those people who install a FAST90/92 intake manifold, gain an additional 30rwhp, and still consider themself cam-only. Now people get confused and wonder why two guys have the same cam as their 'only' major engine mod, yet are making totally different power. You started to scroll down and notice a ported FAST intake manifold at the bottom of their mod list. They are no longer cam-only since they have two out of the three major engine mods.

It's like a BLT sandwich.... you can't order 'bacon-only' and expect them to give you both bacon and lettuce.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Mods in 4 steps.

1st step - bolt ons
2nd step - cam only (includes bolt ons)
3rd step - H/C (includes bolt ons)
4th step - Anything your wallet can handle." <---Very true!! lol
Old 07-14-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan L
They are no longer cam-only since they have two out of the three major engine mods.

It's like a BLT sandwich.... you can't order 'bacon-only' and expect them to give you both bacon and lettuce.
Listen, shut up. Intake is considered a bolt-on. If you have stock untouched heads and a stock bottom-end, it's considered cam-only.

This is how thousands of people have referred to it for the past 10 years. You and your theories on engine modifications won't change that.

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks, bye.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by b00sted
Listen, shut up. This is how thousands of people have referred to it for the past 10 years. You and your theories on engine modifications won't change that.
Now that you put it that way, it makes sense now and the world can go on.

I'm not sure why my comment brought out the hate in you, but I am just trying to clarify why people purposely don't consider their aftermarket intakes as a major engine mod like cam and heads. In all my years of modding and racing, intake manifolds have NEVER been considered a standard bolt-on. (ever heard of the term 'H/C/I'?) The issue wasn't brought up to **** off people like you, but rather figure out when the 'bolt-on' line became blurred for LSx people.

If you ever modded an existing motor, there are essentially three simple categories...

Exhaust
Bolt-ons
H/C/I

The next level of effort would be forced induction. I think we can all agree on that.

Ever since the stupid Fast and Furious craze came out, people have started using the term 'intake' when referring to a cold-air intake (which is a bolt-on obviously) instead of the tradition intake manifold. Maybe that's where the confusion started.

Who knows, it just may be relative to what you are used to. For instance, most of the old 5.0 Mustang guys considered 'stock' to include exhaust and bolt-ons, while ricers think an air filter is a major mod.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

very nice..not cam only imo..but how much was the cam and tune?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I suppose you could call it C/I (cam/intake) since he has the 90/90 (or 92/92) setup, stock heads and bottom end with no FI or nitrous has always meant cam-only to me and most people in the LSX world. I could see your argument for it to be called C/I since a cam by itself without the 90/90 setup is probably going to be on a different level than with the intake, but usually people will just state it as cam-only either way since heads are usually seen as the next big mod and people will just list the 90 setup.

For example, my brother has an 02 Z28 with bolt-ons and a cam (no 90/90) and my friend has an 02 TA with bolt-ons and a cam (but he has a 90/90) and we've always referred to both of them as cam-only. To throw a wrench in the works, the Z28 cam-only without intake makes quite a bit more power than the TA with a cam and intake setup. My H/C Z28 makes power in between the two of them (with the cam-only no intake Z28 making the MOST ). It just goes to show that each car and setup is unique.

LSX cars have always fallen into five categories for me NA: stock, bolt-on, cam-only, H/C, stroker. Lately I see a lot of peopel saying "H/C/I", so if we're adding that to the mix, I have no problem listing cars as "C/I" and have actually considered doing it before; I just didn't want to start this kind of argument, haha.

EDIT: I think this problem also stems from the fact that in the past, people tended to wait on installing a 90/90 setup until AFTER installing heads, so a C/I car was rare to non-existent. Lately, it's happening a lot more often, though, and even some bolt-on cars are showing up with a 90/90 setup. Go figure.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Well now all thats behind us!
Old 07-14-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by b00sted
Listen, shut up. Intake is considered a bolt-on. If you have stock untouched heads and a stock bottom-end, it's considered cam-only.

This is how thousands of people have referred to it for the past 10 years. You and your theories on engine modifications won't change that.

Stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks, bye.
Says the guy with a lid/catback car
Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
Says the guy with a lid/catback car
Yeah, it was lid/catback back in March right after I bought it and ran it at the track. Not no mo.

Here's my other car I just sold a few months back: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SwS65EBPtQs 10.7x pass.

But hey, what do I know. I just have a lid/catback car.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:04 PM
12 Second Club

formulas rule....just had to put that out there..
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

so is a 1998-2000 car with an LS6 intake no longer cam only?

just wondering

Quick Reply: Vengence Cam only results