Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Has anyone dynoed Stock Ti exhaust C5Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone dynoed Stock Ti exhaust C5Z06?

I'm looking for a reason as to why my car isn't making the power it once had and in the process we removed the x pipe (its catted) in case one was getting clogged. The car picked up 20-22rwhp. This makes me wonder if it is the catback choking the car or it the cats holding it back? My test wasn't very scientific because I removed both in one shot. I'm going to put the x pipe back up and try it without the catback tomorrow.

The only other thing I can think of is I had a O2 sensor go bad and before I realized this I let the car sit idling for a good 30 minutes and a plug or two had fouled. It cleaned up but who knows maybe its not hitting 100%. I've also had some bad oil consumption problems so maybe they are a touch oil fouled.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 01 z06, Kooks LTs, and x pipe setup, no cats, and Borla 4" straight pipe exhaust. I got two sweet thunder 3" bullet mufflers installed in the x pipe setup to help quiet it a little. Car put down 465rwhp 422rwtq. Now i had the straight pipe borla pis (no mufflers) swapped out for my stock TI exhaust. I felt absolutely no loss in power at all. I didnt dyno it again or anything but seat of the pants showed no loss even with that ammount of hp and free flow.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 01 z06, Kooks LTs, and x pipe setup, no cats, and Borla 4" straight pipe exhaust. I got two sweet thunder 3" bullet mufflers installed in the x pipe setup to help quiet it a little. Car put down 465rwhp 422rwtq. Now i had the straight pipe borla pis (no mufflers) swapped out for my stock TI exhaust. I felt absolutely no loss in power at all. I didnt dyno it again or anything but seat of the pants showed no loss even with that ammount of hp and free flow.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I did it today.. Weather wasn't the same it was about the same temperature but humid today. Looks like I'm losing about 15 rwhp thru the stock Ti catback which is quite the contrary to what everyone believes.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alvin
I'm looking for a reason as to why my car isn't making the power it once had and in the process we removed the x pipe (its catted) in case one was getting clogged. The car picked up 20-22rwhp. This makes me wonder if it is the catback choking the car or it the cats holding it back? My test wasn't very scientific because I removed both in one shot. I'm going to put the x pipe back up and try it without the catback tomorrow.

The only other thing I can think of is I had a O2 sensor go bad and before I realized this I let the car sit idling for a good 30 minutes and a plug or two had fouled. It cleaned up but who knows maybe its not hitting 100%. I've also had some bad oil consumption problems so maybe they are a touch oil fouled.
I've owned 2 stock C5Zs. One put out 350rwhp and the other 364rwhp. Both were stock 100%.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alvin
Well, I did it today.. Weather wasn't the same it was about the same temperature but humid today. Looks like I'm losing about 15 rwhp thru the stock Ti catback which is quite the contrary to what everyone believes.
So, you are saying you put the cats back on and then the difference was a lost of 15rwhp due to Ti tailpipes? They do look really small at the ends. I have them on my car and was thinking about offing them and the cats.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LT's with cats made more torque and more HP in quite a bit of the graph. It suffered maybe 4 on the very top. Removing the catback only showed about a 15rwhp gain.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Here are results on my 383 stroker with the stock Ti mufflers on the blue run and open cutouts on the red run. There is very minimal loss involved with these mufflers even with all the air I am moving.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
FormerVendor

Stock Ti Catback is one of the best sounding/best flowing catbacks available for a C5.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Here are results on my 383 stroker with the stock Ti mufflers on the blue run and open cutouts on the red run. There is very minimal loss involved with these mufflers even with all the air I am moving.

[IMG]http://members.***.net/mbrowning4/Larry383-cutout.JPG[IMG]
Not knocking your setup, but the OP is moving just as much air as you are with the stock bottom. You talk like his car is stock, or something.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance
Stock Ti Catback is one of the best sounding/best flowing catbacks available for a C5.
You can't argue with what the dyno says.. Car wasn't moved over the weekend... dynoed Friday then Monday when we came back to work.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackz93
Not knocking your setup, but the OP is moving just as much air as you are with the stock bottom. You talk like his car is stock, or something.

It is a little more involved then just the hp numbers to determine the air flow. I never said his car was stock, but I can asure you a stroker is moving more air.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

I'll put mine back on the rollers this week. I did 465 through the TI's and just put on a Magnaflow catback. I'm curious to see the difference myself.

Quick Reply: Has anyone dynoed Stock Ti exhaust C5Z06?