Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Stock S2K vs.... me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I bolded where you made comparisons.
Again hp/l is ricer math and useless, it in no way, shape or form makes a car perform better and that's why its unimpressive.
LOL at your continued arguements...did a S2K beat you in a race or something...jeez, let it be.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
even if you do have to rev it to the moon to make it.
that means that you wouldnt have any low end and your power band would be up to high to be real streetable.........hence why t-rex cams arnt recommended for cars that see alot of street use. I would personally want great mid-range in my car not an uber high rpm range
Old 02-13-2009, 02:54 AM
***Repost Police***

I don't know how I missed this thread. You shouldn't have any problems against a stock S2000 in a bolt-on LT1. A stock LT1 would be a decent race (especially a 2.73-geared A4), but the S2000 driver would have to be ON HIS **** to make it good. As for the "I beat one in my stock TPI," and "I beat one from a roll in my Dakota R/T," give me a break...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
I don't know how I missed this thread. You shouldn't have any problems against a stock S2000 in a bolt-on LT1. A stock LT1 would be a decent race (especially a 2.73-geared A4), but the S2000 driver would have to be ON HIS **** to make it good. As for the "I beat one in my stock TPI," and "I beat one from a roll in my Dakota R/T," give me a break...

Why dont you update your avatar pic? Your mom should be back with it in a few hours?

Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

haha...dang
Old 02-13-2009, 12:45 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 99_Z28
Why dont you update your avatar pic? Your mom should be back with it in a few hours?

That didn't make any sense.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

You have earned my respect with your honesty.

S2000's are not **** boxes, I have been in a reasonably fast one
Old 02-13-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
LOL at your continued arguements...did a S2K beat you in a race or something...jeez, let it be.
Sorry Im just sick of seeing the ricer argument of "hp/l" yet no one can back up what is impressive or even relevant about it in the real world. If hp/l were important at all there wouldn't be so many LS1 swaps (almost all of which are swapping a higher hp/l engine for the LS1).
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM
***Repost Police***

It's not that it's "significant," but it does matter. It shows advancements in engine technology. When you do a h/c package on an LS1, you are increasing it's hp/l. So while it's not an end-all be-all argument, or even a viable comparison tool, it's isn't an invaluable achievement.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

That didn't make any sense.

I'll break it down for you....

1.Your avatar is of a Mustang that you sold 2 years ago.

2. Get a updated avatar pic of "your" new car.

3. But you will have to wait for your mom to get home from work with her car so you can take a picture of it.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM
***Repost Police***

3. But you will have to wait for your mom to get home from work with her car so you can take a picture of it.

1. I sold the Mustang in June.
2. I can have whatever avatar I want
3. Attempt at a joke?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah irunelevens! Dont you know the only thing you can have in your avatar is your current car! Geez!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

1. I sold the Mustang in June.
2. I can have whatever avatar I want
3. Attempt at a joke?
1. you guys are WAY off topic

2. what the hell?

3. buy monkey

4. ?????

5. profit
Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the jester 812
i find that very hard to believe, i build hondas on the side and an intake and exhaust on a s2k might add 15hp on a good day. thats not enough to take almost a second off its quarter mile
In all reality intakes on imports dont do a thing, 9/10 times that is. Anything that was done to my car was done by Xtreme Motorsports here in St.Paul. They have since moved to Vegas under the name Sin City Performace. I know the car had an intake, exhaust, plug wires, fuel PSI regulator... like I said bolt on's
I am dyslexic , was 12.98. That was at RockFalls Raceway in Wisconsin in 2004.

Either way they are fast cars for what they are. It would be a good race non the less
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by nik1703
1. you guys are WAY off topic

2. what the hell?

3. buy monkey

4. ?????

5. profit
He started it (surprise), but I agree... what the hell?
Originally Posted by nichols92
In all reality intakes on imports dont do a thing, 9/10 times that is. Anything that was done to my car was done by Xtreme Motorsports here in St.Paul. They have since moved to Vegas under the name Sin City Performace. I know the car had an intake, exhaust, plug wires, fuel PSI regulator... like I said bolt on's
I am dyslexic , was 12.98. That was at RockFalls Raceway in Wisconsin in 2004.

Either way they are fast cars for what they are. It would be a good race non the less
One notable exception is the RSX-S... CAI is worth ten or fifteen hp at the wheels on those.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's not that it's "significant," but it does matter. It shows advancements in engine technology.
Yes and no. The big problem here is almost no manufacturer tries to squeeze as much power from their engines as possible. Most set a power/torque goal, and usually use a cost effective way to get there by modifying a current engine in production.
The LS1 for example was built ground up, but the platform is now used globally as both a performance engine and in truck applications. As anyone with any automotive knowledge can figure out GM didn't want any more than 345hp from the LS1, and anymore than 405hp from the LS6 etc etc. So this doesn't show any "technology advancements", it only shows what the manufacturer wants to make, and then uses what engine they want to get there.
Could GM make 505hp from the LS1 like the LS7 (and therefore make more hp/l)? Sure, but what advantages would there be to it? None. The LS7 is the same physical size, and same weight as all the other LSx based engines, and the added displacement improves the torque curve and drive-ability.
What about Honda, why did they add another .2L of displacement to the f20c in the US market, but not increase the power?

When you do a h/c package on an LS1, you are increasing it's hp/l. So while it's not an end-all be-all argument, or even a viable comparison tool, it's isn't an invaluable achievement.
You add to overall hp, not just peak hp like hp/l implies. And if you want a legitimate argument then hp/l must go both ways. In other words there must be an advantage to decreasing displacement but keeping the peak hp, which there is only disadvantages to (cost, powerband, reliability).

Now if displacement was limited, and manufacturers were forced to all use the same engine then and only then would hp/l be even remotely relevant.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:02 AM
***Repost Police***

There is most certainly an advantage to decreasing displacement. It depends what the car was designed to do. The DZ302 was after-all, for all intents and purposes, a destroked 327. Because the short stroke lended itself better to higher revs and road racing. The F20C was stroked out to 2.2 liters because Honda wanted to shift the power/torque curves lower, and they achieved their goal. And I'd wager when the LS1 was designed, the designers did have hp/l in mind. The fact that they wanted to keep it at 5.7 liters and increase the horsepower significantly kinda lends credibility to the theory. Otherwise, what would be the point in designing a whole new motor? They could have just made the LTx motors larger.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 AM
12 Second Club

Ehh....

I've run one of those bastards in my Camaro. He had just got done doing a few doughnuts so his tires were good and warm. Hell, I could damn near see them dripping onto the tarmac. Excellent driver, that kid; a decent drifter. He launched the **** out of that torqueless wonder and left me looking silly off the line as I spun those cold, bald eighteen inchers. After babying it into hooking and giving it hell, I caught up and blew past him at around 65-70 and proceeded to putting about four on him before shutting down around the quarter mark. Despite rolling on maypops, I really could have handled the launch a little better.

The car was quick off the line and I'd expect low 14s or high 13s at the track. I've managed a 12.9 in my own, so the outcome was pretty predictable.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
a close to stock 5.7 TPI is about as fast as your current Focus.
I was told by a mechanic that a 91' camaro 5.7 TPI would walk a LT1 f-body all day. Is that true? By the way just woop that ***** ***. It's a honda!!

Quick Reply: Stock S2K vs.... me?