Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Stock S2K vs.... me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The L98 would hang pretty good down low, but the LT1 will keep on trucking while it falls flat on it's face. The midgetized intake runners on the LT1s worked wonders for their upper RPM power. The Tune Port cars are torquey down low and fair pretty well in shorter runs. From what I've seen, LTs usually average about half a second faster, if that.

There's slow and quick examples of either, but the edge goes to the LT1 on average.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

A bone stock 5.7TPI is at least a 14 second car.....so it is possible it could have hung in there with a s2k if it was stock with a bad driver
Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Irunelevens

One notable exception is the RSX-S... CAI is worth ten or fifteen hp at the wheels on those.
??? that seems like a bit much . Honda/Acura puts a lot of research into every aspect of there cars. I highly doubt they are going to give up that kind of power by a poorly designed intake
Old 02-14-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is most certainly an advantage to decreasing displacement. It depends what the car was designed to do. The DZ302 was after-all, for all intents and purposes, a destroked 327. Because the short stroke lended itself better to higher revs and road racing.
Wasn't displacement limited to 5L for its racing class?

The F20C was stroked out to 2.2 liters because Honda wanted to shift the power/torque curves lower, and they achieved their goal.
And why do you think they would they want to do that?
And I'd wager when the LS1 was designed, the designers did have hp/l in mind. The fact that they wanted to keep it at 5.7 liters and increase the horsepower significantly kinda lends credibility to the theory.
45hp is a significant increase? Wait scratch that, the LT4 made 330hp, so 15hp is significant? GM wanted a smaller, lighter engine that was more fuel efficient for their flagship sports car. 5.7L stayed around for traditions sake.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:37 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by GMmexican
A bone stock 5.7TPI is at least a 14 second car.....so it is possible it could have hung in there with a s2k if it was stock with a bad driver
From a dig, sure. For a 5.7TPI to even stay close to an S2000 from a roll it would have to start in the wrong gear and shift early.
Originally Posted by nichols92
??? that seems like a bit much . Honda/Acura puts a lot of research into every aspect of there cars. I highly doubt they are going to give up that kind of power by a poorly designed intake
Don't ask me, I didn't design the car.
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Wasn't displacement limited to 5L for its racing class?

And why do you think they would they want to do that?

45hp is a significant increase? Wait scratch that, the LT4 made 330hp, so 15hp is significant? GM wanted a smaller, lighter engine that was more fuel efficient for their flagship sports car. 5.7L stayed around for traditions sake.
Yes 5 liters was the limit for the class, but I'd still argue that the DZ302 (for that application atleast) was a better engine than the 327. But I know that all you want to hear is, "You're right, nobody but idiots cares about how much horsepower they can make from a given size," so there you go.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK to the HP/L arguement
I find TQ/L a better arguement
torque wins races
horsepower sells cars
Old 02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
***Repost Police***

If that was true, the L98 Vettes would be faster than the LT1s . Horsepower is a derivative of torque, so treating them as completely seperate things is stupid.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

True true but USUALLY the more TQ you have the more HP. Unless you have my crappy L98 intake
I guess HP/lb and TQ/lb are better ratios
Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 PM
***Repost Police***

I'd rather have an engine with 400hp and 300lb/ft of torque than 300hp and 400lb/ft of torque. Once you start moving to higher-revving motors that make a lot of power, they're gonna make more horsepower than torque. It's not just little 4cyls.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If that was true, the L98 Vettes would be faster than the LT1s . Horsepower is a derivative of torque, so treating them as completely seperate things is stupid.
Torque [curve] to the wheel (multiplied by the gearing) wins races, [peak] hp sells cars.
LT1's are faster because they make more torque from idle to redline, not just more peak hp.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:34 PM
***Repost Police***

And their better use of their torque... translates to more horsepower. Because horsepower is a function of torque.

Quick Reply: Stock S2K vs.... me?