Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

okay guys help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 05:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay guys help me out here

Car: 1999 Trans Am M6

Mods: Baby Comp Cam XR265HR (212/218 - .522/.529 - 114), Mac mids with ORY, Cutout, LS6 Intake, Slp lid, UD pulley, Flowmaster, 3.73's, BMR LCA's, Panhard, and STB, mild tune.

These mods netted me somewhere around 345 / 350 cutout closed and 366 / 369 cutout open (cant find the dyno graph from the run with cutout closed). My question for the board is what kind of gains over the graph with the cutout closed could I get by swapping the Mac mids for LT's and throwing a 3" catback like a Magnaflow on there? Im trying to get opinions to see if swapping out the exhaust would be worth it monetarily. Thanks!

Also curious what some of you think the car might be capable of at the track with the current mods
Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Sand

Mods: Baby Comp Cam XR265HR (212/218 - .522/.529 - 114), Mac mids with ORY, Cutout, LS6 Intake, Slp lid, UD pulley, Flowmaster, 3.73's, BMR LCA's, Panhard, and STB, mild tune.

These mods netted me somewhere around 345 / 350 cutout closed and 366 / 369 cutout open (cant find the dyno graph from the run with cutout closed). My question for the board is what kind of gains over the graph with the cutout closed could I get by swapping the Mac mids for LT's and throwing a 3" catback like a Magnaflow on there? Im trying to get opinions to see if swapping out the exhaust would be worth it monetarily. Thanks!

Also curious what some of you think the car might be capable of at the track with the current mods
Gains would be minimal.. .1 and MAYBE 2mph, but that would be pushing it IMO..

Low to mid 12s@113 or so? I don't guess M6 times very well at all.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for your input Lemons....before posting this I went through a thread in search that was a big debate about Mac mids and LT's. Some argued that gains would near 15-20 HP, especially lower in the curve with the LT's. They talked about how LT's "scavenge" better? Others said gains would be minimal up top. I dont have much experience with dynos, your thoughts on that?
Old 10-24-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for your input Lemons....before posting this I went through a thread in search that was a big debate about Mac mids and LT's. Some argued that gains would near 15-20 HP, especially lower in the curve with the LT's. They talked about how LT's "scavenge" better? Others said gains would be minimal up top. I dont have much experience with dynos, your thoughts on that?
The place you would see gains would be up top (peak power), under the curve will not be affected nearly as much.. If anything you might lose a little bit down low, although the gain you get up top would offset it. 15-20hp up top would be good for .1 and almost 2mph.. Although that would be in the best situation IMO..

If you had a larger cam you would see more gains but having that size cam it will not effect much.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Welp....I'll give this a shot. You went from 345/350 to 366/369 by opening up your exhaust. So obviously your car needs a better flowing exhaust. By "cutout" I assume you mean you still have the headers going into a Y then back. I would start out by going to a dual 2.5" or 3" exhaust. I think you would gain more there over a set of longtubes. Seems the headers aren't whats holding you back exhaust wise.

But hey, what do I know. I'm a Ford guy, the only time my car had a Y pipe in the exhaust was when it was turned around backwards and the car had a snail in front of it.

And boy is that one itty bitty cam for a 346cid motor! Bet that thing sounds milder than it did stock!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Welp....I'll give this a shot. You went from 345/350 to 366/369 by opening up your exhaust. So obviously your car needs a better flowing exhaust. By "cutout" I assume you mean you still have the headers going into a Y then back. I would start out by going to a dual 2.5" or 3" exhaust. I think you would gain more there over a set of longtubes. Seems the headers aren't whats holding you back exhaust wise.

But hey, what do I know. I'm a Ford guy, the only time my car had a Y pipe in the exhaust was when it was turned around backwards and the car had a snail in front of it.

And boy is that one itty bitty cam for a 346cid motor! Bet that thing sounds milder than it did stock!
Stopsign is correct, it is not the headers holding you back. It is the muffler, but a cutout bypasses that so no need to worry about it.

I would stay away from a TD setup unless you want to spend money, it is not cheap but sounds SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Ya I had a much bigger cam in it before my motor blew

Since dad was paying for the rebuild, he got to choose the cam. I wasnt happy about it but I couldnt afford to do what he did so I just went with it. Yes it does sound stock (my previous cam had big lope, etc).

Also, thanks for your input as well. The cutout is at the beginning if the I pipe, so I guess we see how restrictive the rest of my exhaust is.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

The restriction is behind the cutout. Need to do something about that. I hate how GM did the F-bodies like that.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would stay away from a TD setup unless you want to spend money, it is not cheap but sounds SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!
Have you ever gotten a quote on TD's? I went to a shop and got them made (mandrel bent) with mufflers for $200. Its actually cheaper to go with a TD set up unless you start going with an over the axel, out the back set up.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Have you ever gotten a quote on TD's? I went to a shop and got them made (mandrel bent) with mufflers for $200. Its actually cheaper to go with a TD set up unless you start going with an over the axel, out the back set up.
I had True Duals.. Before the axle is cheap but most people on a DD don't want them before the axle, hence the reason I said not cheap.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had True Duals.. Before the axle is cheap but most people on a DD don't want them before the axle, hence the reason I said not cheap.
I hear ya. Under the axle is pretty cheap as well, its the over the axle that can get expensive.

Most people need to quit being sissys. lol
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I hear ya. Under the axle is pretty cheap as well, its the over the axle that can get expensive.

Most people need to quit being sissys. lol
Under the axle? That sounds smart.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

You are a ***** if you need tail pipes.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

it actually works out very well, and some members on here have been runnin them for quite a while with excellent results. if i wanted tips and cared about loudness thats the way i would go with my setup, but i prefer the looks/sound of it being dumped on mine personally
Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it doesn't sound stupid either. People do it all the time with no issues what so ever. You are at just as much of a risk going above the axle, if not more... think about it. There isn't a whole lot of room to go over the top, so thats why its so expensive.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I appreciate everyones input so far. I think I am going to replace the Macs with some Ebay stainless or Pacesetters if I find a good deal on some used ones. Then I am going to have the exhaust place run 3" back through a magnaflow and keep the cutout in the new I pipe. Speaking of that...will I need a new one since id be running bigger pipe? Also if you guys know of a more aggressive sounding muffler than Magnaflow I would probably try it. This will just be a temp setup until Im out of college and then Ill move towards Kooks, ARH, etc
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are a ***** if you need tail pipes.
Don't need them, I want them!

I appreciate everyones input so far. I think I am going to replace the Macs with some Ebay stainless or Pacesetters if I find a good deal on some used ones. Then I am going to have the exhaust place run 3" back through a magnaflow and keep the cutout in the new I pipe. Speaking of that...will I need a new one since id be running bigger pipe? Also if you guys know of a more aggressive sounding muffler than Magnaflow I would probably try it. This will just be a temp setup until Im out of college and then Ill move towards Kooks, ARH, etc
If it were me I would probably put your money somewhere else.. But it is up to you.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 AM
9 Second Club

This is why I just run 12" extensions off my headers now . Sounds so good with the 110lsa
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
This is why I just run 12" extensions off my headers now . Sounds so good with the 110lsa
That would be LOUD. It would be fun every now and then, buy I don't know if I could deal with that. I bet that thing sounds scary with that 110lsa and basically no exhaust.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

Don't need them, I want them!

If it were me I would probably put your money somewhere else.. But it is up to you.
any suggestions?

Ive had the Macs since 2003 and I bought them used at that point....so no telling how many miles total there are on them. Im here a "clicking" noise when I accelerate and once that started is when I began thinking of getting new headers. Any ideas as to what that clicking sound might be if not an exhaust leak of some kind?