Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Ls3 H/C/I Dyno guess?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm the guy who doesn't like dynos lol but reason I did that was to see where the difference was to compare to my ET and MPH. All 3 were off by 5-8whp peak under the curve the 2 shelf cams were showing lower tq numbers. Back in 2013 I almost ordered a GPI SS4 but instead I had them order me one with all my details through Comp. The 3rd cam was a GPI mix between them and comp and again I hit the track and dyno'd peak numbers were almost identical but under the curve it made around 36hp 28tw more which reflected on my 60ft ET and MPH. I won't mention which were the 1st 2 cams due to reasons that'll take me hrs to explain lol after working on these LSs 10+yrs you start to see and get more experience why they do shelf cams and like I mention they'll get the job done. I mainly work with people who have the mind set of doing somewhat max effort and aim for getting every drop out of it. Plus I'm very lucky I have good friends over at Frankenstein that invite me to play on their engine dyno. Testing heads, cams, lifters, intakes etc

Like Hio mentioned above now that the LS3 platform has gotten more affordable you have people doing more and more R&D on them where a stock casting does sooooo good. Now that theres 10* aftermarket heads you can get more aggressive on the cam . They do like more plenum volume on the manifolds for those setting up for drag racing. The right converter, gears, tire height, compression bump etc they are making crazy power. Just look how many 5th gens are in the mid to low 9s NA and hell TSP in the 8s. Now a street car that's only going to spin 6700rpms or less can't take advantage of the larger intakes or healthier cams but can still get some good low mid range out of a tailored cam for the setup they have.

Another good example are those CRC Copo classes where they are limited to .615" lift stock heads (SBE) but are running 9.50s to 9.0s NA on 376ci motors. So many ways to skin a cat.