Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

How Much Power Can I Expect From This Motor rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking How Much Power Can I Expect From This Motor rebuild

I currently have a 1993 Z28 that's in the middle of a rebuild, one of my first questions is how much power can I expect when I get it back, now I am aware that it most likely wont be accurate at all, but it's just something I would like an estimate on how much I could be looking at.

*As far as the motor rebuild goes anything that is "stock" is either new or basically like new, and as most will know this also means all new seals everything clean basically a New Motor, I also have a freshly built 700R4 about a stage 1.5 if you will, with extra clutches in 3rd & 4th, and a 2400 RPM stall converter.*

2nd gen sbc LT1 Build.
Stock Cast Iron Block-(I've heard people take them up to 1000 and be fine)
Stock Crankshaft-(Same deal, I've heard them get to or over 1000)
Forged Flat Top Pistons-(These will give me a higher compression ratio)
Forged Rods
Comp Cam CC503
Upgraded Cam Springs
Stock Rockers-(I've heard from both my engine guy and my father that the stock rockers are fine, I have also heard that some scorpion self aligning 1.6r's actually boost performance, but for now I have stock, If anyone knows if they are worth it let me know.)
Stock Intake Manifold
Stock Heads-(At some point I defiantly want to either port these or get new AFR, or Texas Speed heads, but honesty I don't know if porting or getting new heads is more worth it, and if I do anything to my heads I would also be porting my intake to match or get the aftermarket Edelbrock one, I also would get bigger injectors and probably a 58mm throttle body.)
Stock Fuel Injectors-( I know that a CC503 cam is pushing it with stock injectors but I have very little fuel injection knowledge on these cars so I wouldn't know what aftermarket Injectors to get to fit ported or aftermarket heads.)
Stock Throttle Body
Throttle Body Air Foil
Throttle Body Coolant bypass
K&N LT1 Cold Air Intake
BBK Lightweight Crank Pulley-(The rest of the pulleys on the motor are stock, but if anyone has a full performance pulley kit in their car, I am interested if it makes a difference.)
A/C Compressor Delete-(A/C never worked anyway and I know deleting this frees up power.)
A/C Condenser Delete
Emissions System Delete-(The thing that used to connect to the exhaust manifold and to the back of the intake manifold.)
Speed Engineering Stainless Steel Long tube Headers and Y-Pipe
Full Straight Pipe
OEM replacement Opti-Spark(From what I've heard with the MSD Opti spark is a waste of money and if the one you have works leave it. I have also heard that switching it to an LS1 style ignition system is actually better.)
Performance Spark Plugs & Spark Plug Wiring
Upgraded Water Pump-(The version that doesn't leak.)
180 Degree Thermostat-(I was going to get a 160, but with a mild build and stock cooling system it didn't make sense.)
Custom Jet Performance Tune-( I send them every detail about the Motor and what I want it to do and they make a chip for me since this car is speed density.)
High Speed Fan Switch-(I know these cars are heat sensitive so I will be Installing fan switch, if anyone has upgraded fans let me know if it improves the cooling, and if maybe you could run a lower thermostat.)

I'm hoping for around 400 crank HP with the current list, whether that's absurd I don't know, that is why I am here. In the future I will do the aftermarket heads, bigger injectors etc. I am just curious of what I'm gonna have when I get it back.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Uhh... this is a Gen III/IV LS engine forum. Not Gen II small block.
You would be better served on an actual Gen II small block forum.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had half dozen engines rebuilt by 2 different engine builders and have never had an engine come back with less then 376 HP. That engine was a small block 327. Everyone wants different things with engines so what I want is not always going to be what you want. I have a 71 Camaro with a small block 400 that made 496 HP on the dyno. I could not have been more excited that day with how much HP it made, after all as a car guy thats what matters right, Horsepower?! I finished that car about 4 years ago and have probably driven it 200 miles. It gets about 5 miles per gallon and is not what I would consider a drivable car. It took me 4 motors to start asking different questions to my engine builder. I want to drive my cars. I want to get in them and put 87 or 91 octane and get 15-17 miles per gallon. I don't want to buy a 5 dollar fuel additive to put in my tank every time I fill it up so my motor does not ping. With that said I would point out what I said above. My wants and needs are not yours but I think getting more HP in my early builds at the expense of a car that drives really great is a mistake I made. I just got back an LS1 that had never been rebuild and came from a 99 Camaro that made 466 HP on the dyno. Every single part, piece and dollar I spent came with the question (Statement) of I want to put the key in the car and be able to drive it to Dallas with the same dependability as my new chevy truck.
Old 01-04-2024, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiddo789
I've had half dozen engines rebuilt by 2 different engine builders and have never had an engine come back with less then 376 HP. That engine was a small block 327. Everyone wants different things with engines so what I want is not always going to be what you want. I have a 71 Camaro with a small block 400 that made 496 HP on the dyno. I could not have been more excited that day with how much HP it made, after all as a car guy thats what matters right, Horsepower?! I finished that car about 4 years ago and have probably driven it 200 miles. It gets about 5 miles per gallon and is not what I would consider a drivable car. It took me 4 motors to start asking different questions to my engine builder. I want to drive my cars. I want to get in them and put 87 or 91 octane and get 15-17 miles per gallon. I don't want to buy a 5 dollar fuel additive to put in my tank every time I fill it up so my motor does not ping. With that said I would point out what I said above. My wants and needs are not yours but I think getting more HP in my early builds at the expense of a car that drives really great is a mistake I made. I just got back an LS1 that had never been rebuild and came from a 99 Camaro that made 466 HP on the dyno. Every single part, piece and dollar I spent came with the question (Statement) of I want to put the key in the car and be able to drive it to Dallas with the same dependability as my new chevy truck.
OP has gone elsewhere.....

Quick Reply: How Much Power Can I Expect From This Motor rebuild