Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Island dragway review

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gunslinger what did you put down with that setup?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been to Island and had absolutely no problems there. They didn't really want to tech my car with it still on the trailer, but after I made the point that they can easily see under it to inspect the car better, the guy kinda looked at me funny, and said "that's actually a good idea, never thought of that", then after I handed him the paper with every SFI # from every required part on the car, he was rather happy.

Track isn't bad, entrance road is pretty beat and could use some pavement, but other then that I have no issues with the track, staff there didn't give me any problems... I just always make sure to keep an eye put for track officials, and do whatever they ask everywhere I go, and I have yet to have a problem.

Island dragway, while it's not englishtown, is by far better then having nothing at all... think of it like that.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

It's an OK place.. ATCO and E-Town are better, it's more like LVD.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

No traction. Lots of runs.

Originally Posted by 02LS1ram
island has its good days and bad day's. i got threw out on a friday nite for coming down the wrong staging lane. Then on top of that the old longer hair ******* guy who works there, said to me i shouldn't even by behind of the wheel or my car or something like that . so i got out of my car and got in his face and told him i was gonna smash his face and it was over after that. Then the next friday the two guys i went down there with went to race each other and both broke right on the line and the same ******* started get them to **** WTf. they need to build another drag strip closer or something ?
I was there the night 2 cars broke at the same time. The worker there was about ready to start a fight with them, because he wanted to have his "friend" with a tow truck business come in and tow them. When they declined, he was telling them to get thier cars out of the staging lanes(2 that weren't being used that night), and about got in a fight with them. Maple Grove was much nicer, but I didn't get as many runs.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
8 Second Club

The fat guy in the stanging lanes is a dick
Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

This was the first track I went to and I hated it. Prep was terrible and the people were ********. On top of that its far as hell. Cecil is where I usually go, Atco, Maple Grove and e-town are all better bets. Dont go to Island.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6
This was the first track I went to and I hated it. Prep was terrible and the people were ********. On top of that its far as hell. Cecil is where I usually go, Atco, Maple Grove and e-town are all better bets. Dont go to Island.
Looks like we both caught them on "one of their bad days". The more and more i talk to others about island dragway their bad days are typical days LOL Anyway im going to call and complain about the ******** who hit my car
Old 10-13-2008, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Been to Island 3 times.. 1 time I got yelled at by the guy in the staging lanes for not pulling my car up enough.. Only 6-8 cars in the lane to begin with but the extra 10ft I was back was a big deal.. I moved the car no problem but he had a major attitude and it was durring an oil down, so it wasn't like we where going anywhere.. 2nd time some lady started yelling at people for blocking the entrace road but it was to late to do anything about it. So she made a big deal yelling out her car at people and then took off into the dragstrip before it was even open.. So I know she works there.. 3rd time I had a great time..

Where else can you get a soda, hot dog and a rule book in one spot LOL
Old 10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Island Sucks!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I forgot to mention that when I was there I backed into a stupid 50gal drum trashcan. Scuffed my bumper a bit but it buffed out. On top of that it was way more expensive than Cecil even though Cecil was 100 times better.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by j0n
I must say that I have NEVER had a bad experience at Island. Every employee that I have come across was friendly and respectful. Of course people will typically treat you the same way you treat them so I have to assume those of you posting negative experiences were dishing out the negativity tenfold...

BTW good luck getting more than 2 passes and a friendly employee at Englishtown... THAT is a track that needs it's employees to learn business ethics.
something scares me about you having a vette now.

i've had good times at island. guy touching your car isn't cool though.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
No traction. Lots of runs.

I was there the night 2 cars broke at the same time. The worker there was about ready to start a fight with them, because he wanted to have his "friend" with a tow truck business come in and tow them. When they declined, he was telling them to get thier cars out of the staging lanes(2 that weren't being used that night), and about got in a fight with them. Maple Grove was much nicer, but I didn't get as many runs.
99hawk6spd was with me both times n he can voch for how big of ******** they can be down there
Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Well with not hooking I was only running around 12.4 at 117. Did better last year before I changed the suspension, but this is more for handling then drag racing..but its all good, Im pretty much done with drag racing, I want to do some club road coarse running with this car.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Gunslinger, what did you dyno?
Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Gunslinger what did you put down with that setup?

Originally Posted by NJgunslinger
Well with not hooking I was only running around 12.4 at 117. Did better last year before I changed the suspension, but this is more for handling then drag racing..but its all good, Im pretty much done with drag racing, I want to do some club road coarse running with this car.

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
Gunslinger, what did you dyno?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6

Island dragway, while it's not englishtown, is by far better then having nothing at all... think of it like that.

My thoughts too. I've heard it's for sale. Now's the time for the guys who don't like it to step up and do something about it....
Old 10-14-2008, 08:53 PM
12 Second Club

I personally don't like Island too much myself, just too out-dated for my tastes. I been to Maple Grove and Englishtown, both are MUCH, MUCH nicer IMO, only problem is they are both 2 hours away compared to Island being 45 mins away. Most times I go there I have run into a staff member with an attitude, I mean a BAD attitude. I think it is a bit pricey to run your car there aswell, yeah insurance may be alot, but go there most days it is very crowded, and charging $35 a car and $10 I think for spectators is a bit much...If Englishtown or Maple Grove were equal distances for Island, I would never go there.

Also they have GOT to do something with that enterence road. I can't stand it in my Trans-Am....I can imagine what its like going through there in a Z06 or Viper...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Banned

Totally agree with there sour attitude. Im all about the small town bussiness and what not but their BAD attitude makes me support etown more then ever. Yes i will spend an extra 30$ in fuel not to deal with the bullshit at island.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Launching!

like 430ish at the wheels, 405 RWTQ...I have to have it dynoed again, maybe do that this week... where is there a good dyno in NNJ area?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

TTP in Little Falls.