Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

cold weather storage...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think ud be fine in a garage, i wouldnt pay 125 a month to store the car. ur motor is not going to be damaged by the cold, i run mine all winter and it will sit covered in a snowstorm. 130k and still going strong through 5 winters
Old 12-29-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so after this little freeze/thaw we had last week where my car got all covered in dew/haze... i decided to QD it today... after i was done i hear this sound that sounds like someone is shaking a plastic grocery bag... i walk over to where it was (over by a large 8ft long bar on the far side of our garage) and the noise stops... then i see this tiny mouse run twords the back of the garage (presumibly where there is a hole, or the back door that hasn't been opened since sometime in the late 90s probably has a gap big enough for a small mouse to get through)

i hope none of them get into my car. i have it covered and the cover hangs down over the tailpipes.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Stick a raquet ball in both the tailpipes, or something along those lines so that way you know nothing will get up in there, or just do the plastic bag and rubber band trick which is what I do.

I'd be more concerned with them getting inside the car then going up the exhaust. I dunno how, but I had one get in my car a couple winters ago, had a roll of paper towels in the car, well that turned into a shreaded mess and a mouse next in the corner of the garage.

They didn't stay in the car, instead they went in the car to get the paper towels to make a nest from in the corner of the garage. Go figure.

To this day I still don't know how they got into the car, or back out of it for that matter. It's not like there's gaping holes all over the place!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rodents will use it as a nesting place if you give them access. When I was in college 20 years ago, back in GA, my 73 Type LT would sit sometimes for a couple of months, until I got the funds to repair it. Popped the hood on more than one occassion, and found "gravy train" dog food on top of the intake manifold. Could'nt figure out how it got there until I saw a chipmonk go under the car, and stay for a few minutes.

Fast foward to So Cal, and the late 90's, and my 69 RS/SS, would sometimes spend a few months in the garage, for lack of funds, (but not the same reason, this time because of a wife and kids), until I got around to it. Went out one day, sat in the drivers seat to start her up, and out of my periperul vision, saw a blur run from under my dash, and then under my seat! I damn near jumped through the roof! Thought it was a tarantula (those big *** spiders scare the crap out of me), Grabbed a broom handle from the garage and poked around under the seat for a few minutes, and nothing happened. Finally got the courage to look under the seat (with a big can of wasp caliber Raid), and saw little pieces of seat foam and packing material under the seat. Hmm, still no idea of what was there, cause what ever came from under the dash must have kept going. Then I pulled the back seat and observed the same thing under it! Looked in the trunk and observed the seat material, twigs, dog hair, placed in a pile (a nest?). Got a couple of old fashioned mouse traps, and stuck them in the trunk with cheese on them: when I checked a few days later, the traps had a couple of dead mice in them. Mystery solved!

Never had that problem since, but whenever a car sits for a long time now (like my
79 Z28 did for the past year), I put a can of fogger bug spray in the trunk and interior to kill, or drive out anything hiding inside!

Quick Reply: cold weather storage...