Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Whats better than the Texas Mile?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whats better than the Texas Mile?

The Maine Mile +.5
I'm in for this. Anyone else?

Land Speed Racing Comes to Maine for 2009 By Brian Lohnes Posted 01/08/09

After several years of hard work and planning, the Loring Timing Association will be hosting its first land speed racing event in Loring, Maine, during the weekend of August 1st and 2nd, 2009. This event represents the culmination of lots of time by enthusiasts and great collaboration among other timing organizations (such as the ECTA).

One of the neat things about this venue that we have been hearing is that the runs will be 1.5-mile shots instead of the 1-mile runs made at Maxton. This is possible due to the extremely long runways on the former Loring Air Force Base.

This base was home to strategic nuclear bombers that flew long missions on the Russian air space border loaded with enough boom to vaporize large chunks of the country in a single whack. Those massive planes, laden with all that ordinance, required a lot of real estate to achieve takeoff speed. The resulting runway space is a boon to racers.

The base is actually located in a town called Limestone, Maine, some 400 miles north of Boston, Massachusetts (7 hour drive). Essentially, if you make a wrong turn in Limestone, you better have a passport, because you’ll be crossing into Canada. Its right up on the border with New Brunswick.

LTA leaders Bob Wanner and Bob Jepson were able to put on a demonstration event for local media, government, and other decision makers back in August of 2008 and that show proved to be a smashing success, paving the way for the August date this coming summer.

There are some “threatened” bird species that restrict when events can be scheduled, but the fact remains, this is huge news for any gearhead in the Northeast or Eastern Canada who has ever had a thirst for speed.

We’re looking forward to being at the inaugural event this coming summer and if we can get a wireless signal, providing some live results from the pits!
http://freiburgersjunkyard.com/blog/...-for-2009.html
Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to even though i just have a bolt on car but by then i am hoping to have my Cam and nitrous in.. But i wish it was not so far, I am 300 miles from my moms house in CT, and she is about 100+ miles from boston so it would be a good 800 Mile trip for me.....But i could...... break it up into a 300 mile trip and then a 500 mile trip.... If school and Money lets me i think it would be worth it and fun.....
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im just curious about what safety items they require
Old 01-28-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
im just curious about what safety items they require
For safety equipment you'll need a 4 point for 135+mph traps, 6 point is needed for 150+, full cage over 175mph. A covert. automatically bumps you up 1 level of protection. For any speed over 135mph a fire suit is needed. Over 150mph you need fire suppression. Theres more to it, but thats the basics, so I've been told.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 AM
TECH Regular

I will be there shooting for 200+ with the starquest if it ever comes there.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You do realize that somewhere that far up in maine will have to plow the snow and ice off the track if the event is any time earlier then june or later then august
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

That looks like a ton of fun... the only thing that sucks is all the saftey modifications that have to get done to the car... a stock z06 you would have to fully cage and do a fire suppresion.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:36 AM
11 Second Club

I would need some upgrades. If I can hit 120 in the 1/4 what the hell would it hit in a mile and a half. WOW that would be fun. I want to atleast go and watch I dont want to put a fire surpression system in the car. Hell my grand prix could prob hit 150 in a mile and a half.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
You do realize that somewhere that far up in maine will have to plow the snow and ice off the track if the event is any time earlier then june or later then august
Ayup...you can't get there from here!
That's a long way up...when you think you should be there, you have another 2 hours
Old 01-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Internet Mechanic

Cool in theroy but you need to do so much work that I wasnt willing to do in the 1/4 that will be crazy!!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Wow sounds pretty sweet. I would have to get the cage done and get a fire suit though
Old 01-29-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

seems like a bit much on the safety stuff, a bolt on camaro or bird would need the max.... our cars def hit over 150
Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Christ what could I do in a mile and a half LOL. I'm already over 140 in the 1/4 A rear gear change and a set of radial tires and I'd be putting some crazy safety **** on.

No thanks.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
For safety equipment you'll need a 4 point for 135+mph traps, 6 point is needed for 150+, full cage over 175mph. A covert. automatically bumps you up 1 level of protection. For any speed over 135mph a fire suit is needed. Over 150mph you need fire suppression. Theres more to it, but thats the basics, so I've been told.
weak! what good is a fire suit and suppression system gonna do you over 150mph?! my speeding ticket from maxing out my car($1250) this summer is less than what it would cost for all that saftey equipment
Old 01-29-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be there

It is East Coast Timing Association rules from the sounds of it. www.ECTA-LSR.com

Breaks down all the classes, licensing, and safety.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Peter?

I'm very interested in heading up there. Been checking it out from another forum I saw the link on. Just need to get off my butt and get something other than the jeep driving lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Don't shoot the messenger here guys. I'd prefer to leave safety equipment up to the driver rather than have rules requiring this, that and the other. But its not my event. I just heard about it from a friend and thought you guys would like to know about it.

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
weak! what good is a fire suit and suppression system gonna do you over 150mph?! my speeding ticket from maxing out my car($1250) this summer is less than what it would cost for all that saftey equipment
A fire suit and suppression system works when there is a fire. It doesn't require a certain speed. And all that stuff is cheaper than a new car, or a trip to the ER.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bottledbird68
Peter?

I'm very interested in heading up there. Been checking it out from another forum I saw the link on. Just need to get off my butt and get something other than the jeep driving lol.
Whats going on Matt? Nick posted this on another forum. Sounds like hes going to bring his Audi. I'm still not sure what car I'll bring to this.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I would definately go. I went to the Texas mile in '08 and had a blast...and I wasn't driving!

Safety seems a little over the top... 90% of the cars running the mile were street cars, some pushing 200+ TT Vipers/ FGTs, etc. Thats the way to do this. Otherwise the event won't bring in HALF of the dough it could.

****, I watched a new Challenger run 171 with bolt ons!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps
Don't shoot the messenger here guys. I'd prefer to leave safety equipment up to the driver rather than have rules requiring this, that and the other. But its not my event. I just heard about it from a friend and thought you guys would like to know about it.

A fire suit and suppression system works when there is a fire. It doesn't require a certain speed. And all that stuff is cheaper than a new car, or a trip to the ER.
then why do they require a fire suppression system if you go over 150? your chances of having a fire doesnt depend on your speed. and what I was getting at is if somin goes wrong at 150...well I think weather you have a fire suppression system or not is the least of your worries.
hopefully I can get the time off cause I'd love to watch, but with all that BS I def wont be participating, I'll prolly be doing high speed runs to and fro, but not @ the event.