Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Congratulations Pittsburgh Steelers!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009 | 08:45 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by foxrus14
The tackler turned his back, and was also running the same directin at the play not against it. Therefore not a block in the back. Know the rules.
tackler was facing the runner how did he turn his back?
So what if he was running in the same direction? you still can't push him in the back. If the blocker is engaged in a "legal" block and maintains contact and the would be tackler turns his back then yes you would be correct but that wasn't the case during this play.

I'm always open to discuss anything, football rules are always an interesting topic and I'm sure I don't know EVERY rule in the book. But you sound like you think you know the rules back and forth so I guess you must be right but I'm intersted if anyone else who looks at the clip has a different opinion.
Old 02-04-2009 | 09:46 AM
Banned

**** the stealers
Old 02-04-2009 | 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

the victory parade was nuts
Old 02-05-2009 | 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Drove from the poconos & back tues. to see the parade & eat at primanti's. born in washington Pa. The parade was awesome. The only thing that was f'd up was William Gay in red w/ ny hat.
Old 02-05-2009 | 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

I hate the Steelers but I hate Hines Ward with his gay *** smile even more...

Last edited by CJDZ24_Z28; 02-05-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2009 | 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
i would smile to if i was always winning and knocking LB's flat of there face
Old 02-05-2009 | 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by tektrans
The illegal block in the back I'm reffering to was put on #34 right around the 31yard line of Arizona. How you don't call that is beyond me and after looking at it again I'm sure he would have been able to push him out of bounds. Here's a clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mggnKtpQfM
Please dont tell me you are refering to Woodleys block?? he is shoved from the side... that is not illegal in the slightest bit. What was illegal was when Fitz runs the last 15 yards out of bounds and jumps on Harrison before he establishes himself back in.... yet was never called, and almost resulted in Harrison not scoring

This is not even close to a clip... Hightower overpursued and Woodley shoves him on his shoulder

Here is the no call on Fitz for ya

Last edited by beastmode; 02-05-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2009 | 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
im sure he cares
Old 02-06-2009 | 06:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by beastmode
Please dont tell me you are refering to Woodleys block?? he is shoved from the side... that is not illegal in the slightest bit. What was illegal was when Fitz runs the last 15 yards out of bounds and jumps on Harrison before he establishes himself back in.... yet was never called, and almost resulted in Harrison not scoring

This is not even close to a clip... Hightower overpursued and Woodley shoves him on his shoulder

Here is the no call on Fitz for ya

yes that's the one. Woodleys left hand is clearly pushing him in the back, if you watch the vid you can follow it and see that he does shove him down from the back and how forcefully Hightower goes to the ground. Also I thought that the blockers head had to be to the front of the defender, no? I've looked this over with a few guys at work and we all thought it was a block in the back and the crowd I watched the game with thought so as well.
FWIW, I've got no issue here, I like the Steelers (Giants fan at heart) I'm just talkin' here.
Only thing I can maybe see is if the ref felt that he initially engaged Hightower on the side like you said and because of the over pursuit Woodley wound up pushing him in the back but I'm really not buying that, head was never even near the front of the defender and one hand on the side and one in the back is still a block in the back.

Good point about Fitz, I'm SURE the Steelers would've declined that penalty anyway considering the outcome.
Old 02-06-2009 | 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

just noticed on the pic you put up that there is a flag highlighted on the score bar, what was that about? I had a few beers that game and I don't remember that flag.
Old 02-06-2009 | 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

the flag was thrown before the interception. it was on the cards. i want to say it was for holding but not 100% sure.
Old 02-06-2009 | 11:26 AM

Illegal blocks to the back arent something that is "questionable"... its either an illegal block to the back or its not... they are usually called on punt returns or kick off returns because a player is clipped in the middle of his back. You cant call a penalty on someone who is running side by side with someone trying to make a tackle just because his one hand is on the tacklers back. The MAIN thing you have to look at is... Woodley is between Harrison and Hightower on perfect angle for a clean block... if Woodley is on the outside of Hightower and Hightower is the closer man to Harrison... then yes, I would say thats a blown call.

I believe there were 2 flags for the Cards... there was a holding and I thought a unsportsmanlike... cant remember for sure. So I think had they even called the illegal block to the back, the penalties offset each other and the play results in a TD

What I was getting at with Fitz is, everyone said that shouldnt have been a TD because Fitz brought him down on the 1... though some may think that is the case... Fitz only brings him down because he is out of play for 10-15 yards.

Also everyone wants to bitch about the Warner fumble at the end... there has to be conclusive evidence to overturn the call, imo there wasnt even conclusive evidence to overturn Ben's TD being as the ruling was that it was a TD.

In the end the Steelers won, Cards fans can make all the excuse they want about calls... but their D couldnt stop the unfuckablewith Big Ben and Tone combo
Old 02-06-2009 | 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

I see what you're saying, makes sense when put like that.

I thought offsetting penalties results in a replay of the down.

I didn't think Fitzgerald got him down anyway, ball broke the plane-man just wouldn't be denied and even if they would have called the penalty if he got them down it was like on the 1 inch line and the 1/2 can't end on a defensive penalty so I'm sure Big Ben would've snuck it in anyway.

I thought Warner had an incomplete pass that play but I do agree-not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. Even after the replay there was guys saying it was a pass and there were guys saying it was a fumble.

Like I said I thought the officiating sucked but the calls overall really didn't affect the outcome of the game. Even the call at the end with the fumble-so what if he gets one more play-he would've got the same pash rush and the same coverage.

The int TD return definately was a pinacle moment in the game-w/o that play Pittsburg loses and the Cards win it. Bad pass for Warner and a great return and finish.
What a game!!
Old 02-06-2009 | 12:35 PM
Launching!

The flag was thrown for unsportsmen like conduct, and it was thrown after the interception. so even if they ruled harrisdon down at the 1 inch line, the steelers would of gotten another play cause the half can't end on a defensive penalty.
Old 02-06-2009 | 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by beastmode
Illegal blocks to the back arent something that is "questionable"... its either an illegal block to the back or its not... they are usually called on punt returns or kick off returns because a player is clipped in the middle of his back. You cant call a penalty on someone who is running side by side with someone trying to make a tackle just because his one hand is on the tacklers back. The MAIN thing you have to look at is... Woodley is between Harrison and Hightower on perfect angle for a clean block... if Woodley is on the outside of Hightower and Hightower is the closer man to Harrison... then yes, I would say thats a blown call.

I believe there were 2 flags for the Cards... there was a holding and I thought a unsportsmanlike... cant remember for sure. So I think had they even called the illegal block to the back, the penalties offset each other and the play results in a TD

What I was getting at with Fitz is, everyone said that shouldnt have been a TD because Fitz brought him down on the 1... though some may think that is the case... Fitz only brings him down because he is out of play for 10-15 yards.

Also everyone wants to bitch about the Warner fumble at the end... there has to be conclusive evidence to overturn the call, imo there wasnt even conclusive evidence to overturn Ben's TD being as the ruling was that it was a TD.

In the end the Steelers won, Cards fans can make all the excuse they want about calls... but their D couldnt stop the unfuckablewith Big Ben and Tone combo
lets fight
Old 02-06-2009 | 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Congrats to the Steelers and their fans. I'm surprised the game was even close. Sheee-it! NE beat them by 40 points!

Old 02-07-2009 | 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_00_WS6
lets fight

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Congrats to the Steelers and their fans. I'm surprised the game was even close. Sheee-it! NE beat them by 40 points!

cant really go by that game though... Cards had alot of players riding the bench, they arent used to playing in that much snow like us Yanks are.. plus they had already clinched, it shouldnt give them an excuse to go out and play like total ****.. but...

imo you guys got robbed, Pats have the season they did and dont make the playoffs
least you got the Bs though lol
Old 02-07-2009 | 09:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28

18-1

all i will say
Old 02-07-2009 | 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

how much did the steelers beat them by this year again? lol jk

but on a serious note at least NE can pay matt cassel 12 mil to site on the side lines this year haha. i like him. hes a good QB. cant say id be mad if brady broke his neck or anything
Old 02-07-2009 | 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

HERE WE GO STEELERS,HERE WE GO!!!!STEELER NATION represented here in ohio