Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

GM Performance says "Bah Bye!"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Performance says "Bah Bye!"

The tree-hugging, carbon footprint liberals have won.

General Motors has disbanded its High Performance Vehicle Operations unit, which was responsible for creating such vehicles as the Cadillac CTS-V, Corvette ZR1, and Pontiac G8 GXP. GM’s high-performance vehicles will not be discontinued, but future replacements to these cars might never materialize. In other words, when GM’s existing high-performance models reach the end of planned production, they could be gone for good.

All high-performance vehicles currently under development have been shelved. It is not clear if this includes cars like the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe, which is probably very close to being completed.
“All high-performance projects are on indefinite hold,” spokesman Vince Muniga told Automotive News. “The engineers are moving into different areas of the organization, and they will work on Cadillacs, Buicks, Chevrolets and Pontiacs.”
Muniga added there are no longer any plans for performance-oriented variants of any upcoming cars.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surprised...NO.

Sucks...ABSOLUTELY!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Well thats pretty damn stupid because Gm produces some of the most fuel efficient high performance cars anywhere. Damn tree hugging greenies are screwing everything up. Just wait until they ban dragracing because the cars make too much "greenhouse gas" or its "carbon footprint" is too big.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would imagine it wont be for too long once they get there **** together. They already have a decent amount of performance vehicles.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

It's ok when it comes back it will probably be with a Z28 and hopefully a new WS6 lol
Old 02-19-2009, 08:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things will change when the economy turns around. I can almost guarentee that the reason for disbanding is mostly monetary and not treehuggers. Although treehuggers don't help.

All it probably means is that when you buy a new Camaro SS or G8 GXP the badge gets put on the car while it goes down the production line and not after it's made. I hope.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, because there are so many zr-1's and cts-vs on the road that they are destroying the environment. I hope its more of a money thing, I am sick of these hippies.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure part of it is GM asking for more money from the government, they were probably told to drop anything n which the government (conservatives and liberals alike) deems any un-needed expenses such as high performance models. It sucks but, the average american does not understand the value of performance or good looking cars for that matter. I could be wrong but you have to see in the way the stupid politicians look at it.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Teching In

i'm still waiting for the tree huggers to try to ban usage of water, since water vapor is the most dominant greenhouse gas
Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
I'm sure part of it is GM asking for more money from the government, they were probably told to drop anything n which the government (conservatives and liberals alike) deems any un-needed expenses such as high performance models. It sucks but, the average american does not understand the value of performance or good looking cars for that matter. I could be wrong but you have to see in the way the stupid politicians look at it.
I agree. Hopefully this is not a permenant plan, but one that will be revitalized once GM gets solid back on its own two feet and the gov't has been repaid.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gee ya think gm had waited too long to put the new camaro into production? Wonder if Gm will still market it the same and push it, seems like if they would have put it on the road last year it might have more success. I think they dragged their feet in putting it into production now with the auto industry problems I feel its gonna be affected, no?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Talking Ther;s onley one way to go...........

they want TO MUCH ''MONEYYYYYYYYYY''..

ZR1;SSSSSS 165;000.. CVS CADILLIAC 85;000.. AN ON AN ON..

THE ''PRICE'' OF TECHOLOGY.. IS OUT OF HAND..
WHAT YOU THING; WARRIORZZZZZZZ...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Teching In

I'm going to take a Prius and stick a 572 in it just to **** off the tree huggers.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm more concerned about the performance parts division going away, that goes away and we have no more lsx blocks, and absolutely no more GM HP development.

That, would be a nightmare.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I'm more concerned about the performance parts division going away, that goes away and we have no more lsx blocks, and absolutely no more GM HP development.

That, would be a nightmare.
Excellent point J.L.

With the money trouble in the industry, how can r@d costs be justified, What the next cost savings measure,Oh maybe get out of racing again.The general public looks at it as just a waste of money anyways.

With the bailout money the feds will start to dictate whats needs to stay and what goes.

Maybe dart should buy their molds?????
Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

I would think that a pull out of racing and performance parts is going to be the next step anyhow. There is now way they can keep them viable, especially with the gov't looking over everything. How long till NASCAR goes away as well, can't have all that carbon being spewed into the air every race!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Default Now THAT's funny!

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
I'm going to take a Prius and stick a 572 in it just to **** off the tree huggers.
Probably need a big wing on it too. lol
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes and where does it say in this news it's the tree hugging liberals fault? Maybe it's the fact that GM doesn't have its priorities straight and there high performance vehicles should be the LEAST of there concern. Maybe i missed that part...

The rest of the country could careless about 550hp or 638hp...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Now that GM and Chrysler have taken money from the government they are pretty much at the mercy of the President and his car panel he appoints to run the car companies. I bet no one appointed to the new car panel has a corvette.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fbam
Now that GM and Chrysler have taken money from the government they are pretty much at the mercy of the President and his car panel he appoints to run the car companies. I bet no one appointed to the new car panel has a corvette.
Corvette, maybe... maybe not. But I bet most of them have some large SUV.