Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Are We Quick to Fight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
I think the whole thing with the northeast isn't that we are quick to fight, more that we hold our ground and aren't afraid to mix it up. I have never gone out "looking for a fight" in my life, but I have gone places knowing there could be one and it didn't bother me in the least.

It is a subtle, but I believe important difference.
thats me to a Tee, i havent really ever been the oen to throw the first punch...but i have never backed down from anything, even if i knew i'd get my *** beat (which in hindsight is a bad idea..but at the time it seems like the right thing to do and i dont see me changing much in that aspect) and i wont hesitate to get in someone's face which is also funny bc although i'm 6'0 tall i'm far from big or intimidating
Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone think its because our cars **** us off so bad. i mean honestly? you have to be a lil fucked up in the head to wanna work on a f-body.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firebiird
thats me to a Tee, i havent really ever been the oen to throw the first punch...but i have never backed down from anything, even if i knew i'd get my *** beat (which in hindsight is a bad idea..but at the time it seems like the right thing to do and i dont see me changing much in that aspect) and i wont hesitate to get in someone's face which is also funny bc although i'm 6'0 tall i'm far from big or intimidating
I agree. I don't go looking for fights at all. In fact, I don't enjoy it. On the other hand... I'm not afraid to take a beating if needed. Live by 2 rules...

1. Don't let people mess with you or your friends.

2. See rule 1

EDIT: Anybody wearing a Montreal Canadiens jersey on the MBTA is just asking to get hit. I have a take a few deep breaths and look away.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02BLACKTAWS6
EDIT: Anybody wearing a Montreal Canadiens jersey on the MBTA is just asking to get hit. I have a take a few deep breaths and look away.
I know you're only kidding (or at least I hope you are), but there are alot of people that take **** like that seriously, especially the Red Sox/Yankees thing, and those people are retarded.

Seriously, starting a fight because of a sports team is just beyond stupid.

I remember reading a few months back somebody in NH ran over a few guys with her car because they were giving her **** about being a NY fan. F'in morons.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Liberals make me wanna beat the crap outta them. Md is full of em. Nuff said.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I know you're only kidding (or at least I hope you are), but there are alot of people that take **** like that seriously, especially the Red Sox/Yankees thing, and those people are retarded.

Seriously, starting a fight because of a sports team is just beyond stupid.

I remember reading a few months back somebody in NH ran over a few guys with her car because they were giving her **** about being a NY fan. F'in morons.
Yeah, I was only kidding, but you're right. You have to be an a-hole to start a fight over a sports team. The people that do it are probably looking for ANY reason to start a fight. Self-esteem issues.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

NJ is prolly the worst with this ****. I went out Saturday night and within two hours there was 3 bloody fights...bouncers just stood there too. That's NJ for ya.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
I think the whole thing with the northeast isn't that we are quick to fight, more that we hold our ground and aren't afraid to mix it up. I have never gone out "looking for a fight" in my life, but I have gone places knowing there could be one and it didn't bother me in the least.

It is a subtle, but I believe important difference.
I think this is the best way to put it. ^^^^

I was the only Italian kid growing up in an all Irish neighborhood in South Boston, so I found out really quick that you can't keep backing down even when you're outnumbered. Life lessons are learned pretty quickly when it's 5 to 1.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know about fighting but I have visited Florida a few times and there is def a presence of NON-urgancy and general laziness. Laid back comes to mind, the North East is def Go-Go-Go and sometimes that clashes.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
I thought it was the portagee in me

Actually I think I resorted to fighting because my parents always beat me when they were mad lol
man...you're a pork chop also??? i know the feeling...glad im not the only one that got my *** beat when i was a kid by strict Portugee parents...
Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in Southie did you grow up? Every where I went there was always a decent Wop/Mick ratio.

Never been one to get into alo of fights. I dont like being bothered and I dont like the idea of getting bruised and bloodied or causing someone pain. I prefer to keep to myself and avoid the b.s. If someone keeps pushing and pushing it's likely going to be for no good reason because I dont start trouble so they are already going to have a plan for me and nothing I can do will deter them. Thats when they get hit with a bat, stabbed, punched in the throat or have a rock smashed into their face. I'll kick someone down a staircase and jump off the 5th step onto their belly as I'm bee lining for the door. If I'm going to get to that point it's not going to be clean, it wont be far fair nor will it last long. I want to be out of the situation as soon as possible and I'll do anything to make sure I'm the one walking away, espically if I didnt do anything to cause the trouble. Thats just me, like I said I dont like the feeling of trouble like that and if I cant get out of the situation easily......I'm still getting out of it one way or another.

Last edited by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO; 04-14-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Humanitarian

Originally Posted by TNTramair
man...you're a pork chop also??? i know the feeling...glad im not the only one that got my *** beat when i was a kid by strict Portugee parents...
Told old school catholic old fashion parents in Southie. I swear it seemed like my Dad had a royal rumble going on with me sometimes. my mom would set the rules for my Dad, I can see it now "nothing below the waist, lets keep it clean"......wait for it, wait for it.....waaaiiittt.......and then all I saw was stars and the taste of blood rush to my head and I'm dizzy as hell. My Mom would come out in a bikini and give my Dad his winner's circle belt back and Dad would stand up on the ropes and invite any challengers from the watching crowd. Good times good times!

All I had to do was put on a superman cape and as I was flying around the room I bet anyone would thought it was superman in the flesh. Well drunk superman because I dont remember him flying into doors in any of his movies. Weeeeee!!!!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

lol. than came round 2 when i was too old for them to hit and threatened to swing back upon being swung on..lol. in all honesty though...anytime i ever got beat i think i deserved it lookin back. i did some crazy **** when i was younger. made me a better person after all.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Humanitarian

My mom was raised with being corrected physically and so was my Dad. They never broke my arm or knocked a tooth out. It was just a different way of dealing with things for them so I hold no grudges at all, not even .01%. I dont remember how bad/good of a child I was, in my eyes I was perfect but I do remember trying to get cars to crash on the highway, running into traffic, throwing my poo through peoples screen doors, lighting vacant houses on fire, putting obstacles on the train tracks to watch trains smash the stuff to peices and breaking into cars just to break into them, not to steal anything among other things. My parents were probably stressed out 24/7 and maybe I didnt listen. Like you said, that was then and this is now. I have a great job, I make good money and I turned out all right. When I used to see my parents I used to joke about it and my Mom used to laugh and give me the impression that at times I may of caused a little grief time to time but they'll never say I was a bad kid.

I turned 17 and I didnt like being at the mercy of my parents so I left. I wouldnt ever go after either of them, they are my parents. I always had the attitude of "i I dont like it I know how to open the door and walk out". I dont try to change things, I just leave. Alot less stress and you do things on your own terms.

I find nowadays that most (not all) people who are willing to throw down have something to prove. They come from decent envioments and there isnt any excuse to deal with issues with as much violence as they do. If they decide thats the route they want to take and if I'm not a part of it then so be it, they look silly and the only people they impress are people of their own type. I'm not part of that crowd and they arent part of my way of living. I just want to cruise through life, I dont want to be loved and I dont want to be hated, I dont want to give my opinion and unless I ask for one I dont want to hear other people's. I like to think of myself of a very neutral person as long as things dont effect me. I dont want to change the world I just want my peice of it.

Cars, booze, money, drugs and ***.........thats all I want.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know me Vince and i am the last person who is quick to fight.The last fight i got into the guy hit me about 6 times and i told him i did not want to fight him and he would not listen so i dropped him w/ 1 punch.It takes a lot to **** me off but when you do you better watch out because the Italian in me is released.But your thread is one of the reasons why i live in FL. now i could,nt stand N.E. people anymore.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

One thing as much as I got my *** beat by my parents, I have never laid a hand on my kid
Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Humanitarian

Marco that's what you get for hiding in the dirty clothes hamper waiting to watch people pee!

Last edited by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO; 04-14-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah we do tend to breed douchebags up here in the northeast, and I've lived here all but 3.5 of my 29 years. I gave up going to most bars because I'd be out with the wife and maybe another 1 or 2 couples we were friends with, minding my own goddamn buisiness (seriously, once watching drag racing on ESPN2 around midnight) and get dragged into fights by some infantile tool who needs to start ****. If I go out anywhere now its at the local sports bar where I know most of the people, or to a pansy-*** family place with a bar, like a Tuesday's or Charlie Brown's.

Fighting was fun in college when we were drunken 20 year olds and you knew at worst you'd walk away with a few cuts and bruises, maybe a night in the drunk tank, and probably do a shot with the guy next week at the same place. But its just pathetic when you're past 30 and still getting your rocks off doing it. Especially when you've got family and a career, and walking into an executive presentation with a shiner and your knuckles torn up doesn't do you any favors.