Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Pontiac bah-bye?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
http://money.cnn.com/2009/04/27/news...ment/index.htm

here is a CNN article, again it is sad but this needed to be done 15 yrs ago. Unfortunately the book of biz that GM had and over saturation of dealerships in the market marred by poor quality lead to this decision.

GM will be back on it's feet, but that will take time.

As for having the last Year Firebird, if I left it stock and put it away, then it would be worth something or at least once cars hit their 20-30 yr cycle, then you might see an increase in value.
I have ahard time believeing that...

I hear the same thing from "new" GTO owners... they keep thinking their cars will be worth something... I think they will be worth d*ck in 30 years...

The reason why '60 and 70's cars can be worth a lot, is because you can restore them to their old glory, in full. Think about today's cars? How long do you think that PCM will last? You think it will last 30 years? Do you think in 30 years someone will be making a "stock" replacement? At the rate technology has progressed in the last 15 years, fo you think we will even be using the same stuff? Look at Beta-VHS-DVD-Blu-Ray, try and find a stand alone VCR at a Best Buy now a days? It will not be easy. And VHS tapes were sold as recently as 6 or 7 years ago. Look at the casette tape? Have you seen anyone selling them? Can you even find a walkman? We went from tapes, to CD, to MP3 in less than 10 years! Whatw ill we be listening to music on in 30 years?

A 69 GTO can be fixed with a hammer and welder. Todays cars can be brought back to the "as new" shape when it comes to hardware, but I dare you to find someone who can tune that motor in 30 years... Do you think HP Tuners will be making LSx software by then? I honestly doubt it. Especialy when the company that made them will in all liklyhood no longer exist.

I may be young, and you can discount what I say as easily as you want to, but I am almost 100% positive, that our cars will be worth nothing in 30 years because there will be no way of making them run.

I own a Pontiac as well, clearly, so it hurts me just as much as it may hurt you to admit that. But at least I can admit it. I love listening to GTO owners who thing their cars will be collectors items like 60's and 70's GTO, just because they share the same name, and were only made for 3 years...

There have been plenty of Detroit blunders that have been made for only 3 or 4 years, do you think they will be worth much in 30 years, just because they are no longer made? I doubt it.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is as worth as much as a person is willing to pay for it.

Once you understand that concept then you can figure the rest out.

Personally for me I deal with some RARE GM cars and collectibles. My father in law has some $$$ and does that on the side and depending on what it is and who is buying it, people can do really well.

I would like to think a well equiped 02 WS.6 of desirable color and int combo, stock, well maintained and in great running condition in 2032 may be worth some money.

People used to think 80's GM Muscle/Performance cars were not going to be worth anything, beleive me they are starting a up turn.

Now will cars in the mid to late 70's, 80's, 90's and even today command the $$$ that cars from the 1930's to early 70's did. I do not think so because the people who had MAJOR dollars got invovled and drove up the price. Your too young to understand that you could buy some RARE, original Mopars, COPO cars, Yanko etc etc for pennies on the dollars in the late 70's and early 80's it was only when people with deep pockets go involved and like comic books, like baseball cards, and like houses, drove up the price because what one car sold for, a car owner of the same/similar car thinks he can get the same and that is simply wrong even though we as car buyers/sellers do that all the time.

To put it in simple terms, the "Car Bubble has burst"
Old 04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
CARTEK Racing

Believe me, I understand supply and demand.

Firstly, older cars, though made in great numbers were discarded redily when wreked. That created a smaller supply today for a 70's Car for instance. Today, cars are more expencive, even when you factor in inflation, so people take better care of them, therefore, in 30 years the potential for supply will be higher.

Secondly, I do not see demand being high in 2032 on an '02 car car that will not run. Old cars do not need computer software to make them run. Todays cars do, and i strongly believe that that software and the computers to use that software will no longer exist in 30 years, just as the examples of media I made earlier. If you have a late 90's joystick with a 15pin serial port, good luck finding a motherboard that will have that connection. You have to go all over the place to find a USB-Serial connection, and when you do, go to the jaystock manufacturer's website [if it still exists] and I dare you to find the right driver!

**** becomes obsolite so fast no-a-days, you will be lucky to be able to make a 10 year old printer work, let alone find ink for it.

IF [BIG IF] you will be able to make the PCM/BCM, and what other coputer control module you may find in a late model car work in 30 years, then yes, you will be able to make money on it. But I strongly believe that todays software will be long gone by then, and you may have a perfectly presurved '02 CE TA, with a rotted out PCM, no replacement, and no way to program it. and for that, I would not pay squat! Unless I needed a lawn orniment...

And if we go really nuts, in 30 years we will all be driving Electric/H2 powered cars and gasoline will only be a distant memory. So unless you put a **** load of batteries into that '02 CE TA, or you figure out your own way of making gasoline from oil that no longer exists, you will once again have a car that you cant drive.

What will you pay not for a car that can not be drive? Why would 30 years from now be any different?

Cliff Notes: If you can make it run in 30 years it will be worth money, but there will be no way to make it run, so it will be worthless.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Believe me, I understand supply and demand.

Firstly, older cars, though made in great numbers were discarded redily when wreked. That created a smaller supply today for a 70's Car for instance. Today, cars are more expencive, even when you factor in inflation, so people take better care of them, therefore, in 30 years the potential for supply will be higher.

Secondly, I do not see demand being high in 2032 on an '02 car car that will not run. Old cars do not need computer software to make them run. Todays cars do, and i strongly believe that that software and the computers to use that software will no longer exist in 30 years, just as the examples of media I made earlier. If you have a late 90's joystick with a 15pin serial port, good luck finding a motherboard that will have that connection. You have to go all over the place to find a USB-Serial connection, and when you do, go to the jaystock manufacturer's website [if it still exists] and I dare you to find the right driver!

**** becomes obsolite so fast no-a-days, you will be lucky to be able to make a 10 year old printer work, let alone find ink for it.

IF [BIG IF] you will be able to make the PCM/BCM, and what other coputer control module you may find in a late model car work in 30 years, then yes, you will be able to make money on it. But I strongly believe that todays software will be long gone by then, and you may have a perfectly presurved '02 CE TA, with a rotted out PCM, no replacement, and no way to program it. and for that, I would not pay squat! Unless I needed a lawn orniment...

And if we go really nuts, in 30 years we will all be driving Electric/H2 powered cars and gasoline will only be a distant memory. So unless you put a **** load of batteries into that '02 CE TA, or you figure out your own way of making gasoline from oil that no longer exists, you will once again have a car that you cant drive.

What will you pay not for a car that can not be drive? Why would 30 years from now be any different?

Cliff Notes: If you can make it run in 30 years it will be worth money, but there will be no way to make it run, so it will be worthless.

Truth hurts doesn't it... I hope in 30 yrs I can swap my LSx for a twin warp hydrogen pulse generator.....

Probably wont matter, well all be commuting to work in autonomus bubbles that follow some kind of magnetic rail system.

future sucks sometimes...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Internet Mechanic

I personally think and again NO ONE knows the future, if we did I would have stored over 100 old mopars away and sold then for the last 10 years.

IF a car that is no longer produce can break even in terms of original buying cost then that is a good day.

Also you have not factored in the rate of inflation on the increase of the value of the American Dollar which lead to cars being bought for reletivly cheap money, now commanding serious dollars. People often forget to factor in 30 yrs of inflationatory change. Then add in the point that I made about the artifcial inflation due to deep pocket collectors driving up values, your not going to see this bubble ever again.

Your going on a lot of theroy and assuming alot of things, until you get there, we wont know and none of us are Speculators.

I do share your feeling on electrical parts like PCM's and their age and that is something all cars will now deal with. There is a school of thought on though the past 4 decades and how older cars stayed on the road longer but as the years progressed that window has shrunk to about 4-5 yrs. To me my window motor ***** out after 8 yrs and bearly any use, that makes me want to have every rplacement part that I can think of....

Cars are made to be too disposable and that certainly detracts from it's value, also if there will be stable fuel prices and general intrest in classic muscle cars, the Trans Am will see it holding it's value given again, low milage, un molested and well maintained.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:50 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Truth hurts doesn't it... I hope in 30 yrs I can swap my LSx for a twin warp hydrogen pulse generator.....

Probably wont matter, well all be commuting to work in autonomus bubbles that follow some kind of magnetic rail system.

future sucks sometimes...
Minority Report much? lol

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I personally think and again NO ONE knows the future, if we did I would have stored over 100 old mopars away and sold then for the last 10 years.

IF a car that is no longer produce can break even in terms of original buying cost then that is a good day.

Also you have not factored in the rate of inflation on the increase of the value of the American Dollar which lead to cars being bought for reletivly cheap money, now commanding serious dollars. People often forget to factor in 30 yrs of inflationatory change. Then add in the point that I made about the artifcial inflation due to deep pocket collectors driving up values, your not going to see this bubble ever again.

Your going on a lot of theroy and assuming alot of things, until you get there, we wont know and none of us are Speculators.

I do share your feeling on electrical parts like PCM's and their age and that is something all cars will now deal with. There is a school of thought on though the past 4 decades and how older cars stayed on the road longer but as the years progressed that window has shrunk to about 4-5 yrs. To me my window motor ***** out after 8 yrs and bearly any use, that makes me want to have every rplacement part that I can think of....

Cars are made to be too disposable and that certainly detracts from it's value, also if there will be stable fuel prices and general intrest in classic muscle cars, the Trans Am will see it holding it's value given again, low milage, un molested and well maintained.

You're right, is too hard to predict, and I am going on a lot of assumptions, but so are the people who think their cars will fetch big bucks in 30+ years. We both think we are right, but niether one will know until then. But I would like to think that we can both agree that the conditions, manufacturing techniques, technology, that made the old muscle cars so profitable now, no longer exist, therefor, will make it more than likley that in the future, todays cars will not bring in the same amount of money.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

The *stand-alone* internal cumbustion engine will soon be replaced by hybrids and electrical motors as battery technology progresses.

See Tesla, Volt, etc.

We may see more diesel development- but the gas guzzlers are bah-bye.

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/fuels/index.html
Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM
10 Second Club

Over 16 cars, 6 of them GM models and I have yet to own a Pontiac.
I have to have at least one Pontiac before I die but I suppose now that it won't be a 'bought new' one.
Luckily GM still offers some other stellar vehicles though.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Internet Mechanic

Minority Report much? lol

You're right, is too hard to predict, and I am going on a lot of assumptions, but so are the people who think their cars will fetch big bucks in 30+ years. We both think we are right, but niether one will know until then. But I would like to think that we can both agree that the conditions, manufacturing techniques, technology, that made the old muscle cars so profitable now, no longer exist, therefor, will make it more than likley that in the future, todays cars will not bring in the same amount of money.
I can agree to that, I think some beleive our cars will be worth nothing I think that is far from the truth as well.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

I take great care of my car.

But I will still dive it like it owes me money. I don't have the time money or space to collect em'. Nor do I look at any car as a future investment.

I hope I can keep my car forever. As long as we keep pulling dinosaur juice from the ground I'm gonna drive it and have fun.

As far as the valuation of the 4th gen goes, I don't care cause i'm keeping mine forever. But if i had to bet it will still turn heads and smoke it's fair share of jetsons in 2039 LOL. I dunno about some of you guys but I get offers once and a while. If any car will now hold it's value with the demise of pontiac it will be the TA. I don't think it will ever be big bucks but it might fetch some cake.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

There have been plenty of Detroit blunders that have been made for only 3 or 4 years, do you think they will be worth much in 30 years, just because they are no longer made? I doubt it.
No, just as the the numerous Japanese and German (and yes, even Italian) vehicle blunders that were produced over the years won't be worth anything as time passes as well.
The GTO is only a blunder if one looks at it from a sales volume (it was never intended to sell all that many units in the first place anyway) point of view and not taking into account just how good the car itself is.
A low 13 second comfortable sport coupe/grand touring car at a decent price.
It's outperforms and is a better car in every way than the classic GTOs, was brought here in relatively small volumes, has a strong following now and does share the classic nameplates (Pontiac and GTO) with it's predecessors.
The fact that we are now going green (thanks to your boy Obama ) and the fast V8 could be going away only makes some of these points even more potentially valid.
No, they won't be fetching $400k at Barrett-Jackson in 30 years but they might be worth at least as much as say a base model (non rare optioned) late '60s/early '70s GTO is worth now, relatively speaking.
Same probably goes for the clean LS1 Firebirds.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
No, just as the the numerous Japanese and German (and yes, even Italian) vehicle blunders that were produced over the years won't be worth anything as time passes as well.
The GTO is only a blunder if one looks at it from a sales volume (it was never intended to sell all that many units in the first place anyway) point of view and not taking into account just how good the car itself is.
A low 13 second comfortable sport coupe/grand touring car at a decent price.
It's outperforms and is a better car in every way than the classic GTOs, was brought here in relatively small volumes, has a strong following now and does share the classic nameplates (Pontiac and GTO) with it's predecessors.
The fact that we are now going green (thanks to your boy Obama ) and the fast V8 could be going away only makes some of these points even more potentially valid.
No, they won't be fetching $400k at Barrett-Jackson in 30 years but they might be worth at least as much as say a base model (non rare optioned) late '60s/early '70s GTO is worth now, relatively speaking.
Same probably goes for the clean LS1 Firebirds.

My boy? The only way he would be "my boy" is if he was picking cotton on my plantation, while I sit on the portch and sip lemonade... [holy **** was that racist... but I realy do hate the guy and everything he stands for, i cant wait for the 4-years to be over]

I know you have a hard-on for anything American, and as much as I love this country, lets face it, cars are not our best forte. Yes I love my TA, and I love Vette's but if I had unlimited funds, I would not even look at a Vette twice. We have discused this many times bro.

As far as the "green" thing goes, my point was not that the demise of the internal cumbustion engine would make these cars more expencive, it was that without oil and gasoline, it will be hard to drive them to say the least!

And you can make all the references to Jap' German and Italian automotive blunders all you want, but Toyota is #1 seller in US, Fiat is buying out 20% of Chrysler, and Daimler Benz tried to make a go of Chrysler untill they found out just what a POS crap that purchase was. Meanwhile, none of those companies are asking for billions of Dollars, Marks, Yen, or Lira from their governments are they? They know how to conduct business, they know how to make a quality product, sell it cheap enough, and make a proffit on it. The us car companies do not. They sit there and philate the UAW while some douche with a 6th grade education screws on 5 lugs every 90 seconds with $70/hr. When you build a car like that, you will not survive! The US car companies deserve to die, and be reborn w/o the UAW's control. Maybe then they can build a car that makes a proffit.

You keep saying "how many 30 y o Jap' cars do you see still on the road", that argument may be nostalgic but it is irrelevant. No one keeps a car for 30 years now a days, so as long as the Japs can give me a car that lasts 6 or so years, for a good price, still offer leases because their cars value does not drop like a rock, I will by from Yammamoto over Billy Bob.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

doesnt the sound card come with a joystick connector? I know im holding on to mine. I got big plans for it but now ill keep the stock hardware as a just incase
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Cool28
doesnt the sound card come with a joystick connector? I know im holding on to mine.
Used to, yes. Not anymore.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya it sucks that pontiac is no more and all, but i dont understand why thats going to put a damper on buying "performance" parts. who goes to the dealer for heads and a cam? you can practicly build an f-body w/ the after market out there as long as you have a frame. and when it comes to stock replacement parts, 90% of the camaro's stuff will work for the firbirds (minus interior stuff). than take into concideration that stock replacement parts can be bought from the local parts stores. im sure most of the patents for pontiacs stuff will be sold off to the aftermarket for reproduction anyways after everything is gone. just another way to make more money.

when it comes to worrying about whether or not our pcm's/ecm's/bcm's/std's will work in 20 30 years is not something id lose sleep over. we are claming technology is evolving so fast. well i can only imagine what kind of stand alone will be out there at that time. i also dont forsee fossil fuels going anywhere for a long time..... a real long time. we are just now just breaking people into having more "fuel efficient" vehicles. i cant see hybrids and full electrics taking over the market for a long time. we still have people running around in 1980's station wagons and minivans.

like 95% of americans, id take a telsa - if it was FREE! with more and more people claiming unemployment and the economy spiraling deeper and deeper, id put money on people holding on to what they have for as long as they can. not jumping to the latest and greatest. especialy something being so diff as a Telsa for ex. but who realy knows for sure whats going to happen. we could all have been blown up in WW3 long before 2030. so enjoy the now.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chief455
it will be awhile before we see a resale increase based on Pontiac being extinct.

i've had a savings acount for years and seen it drop (interest that is) on a yearly basis...... Interest went from 6-7% 30 years ago to want ? about 1/4 % today ?? My bet is the value on our Trans Am's will do better in the next couple of years than my savings acount did.....................
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4get gto
i've had a savings acount for years and seen it drop (interest that is) on a yearly basis...... Interest went from 6-7% 30 years ago to want ? about 1/4 % today ?? My bet is the value on our Trans Am's will do better in the next couple of years than my savings acount did.....................
lol i agree
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...-too-late/?hpw
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

I know you have a hard-on for anything American, and as much as I love this country, lets face it, cars are not our best forte. Yes I love my TA, and I love Vette's but if I had unlimited funds, I would not even look at a Vette twice.
I hear that once in a while and I'm curious about something. I had what one could essentially call unlimited funds when I bought my last 5 cars yet they were still all made by either GM or Ford. Now does that make me stupid? An uneducated consumer? Simpleminded?
Just curious what the general population thinks about a college graduate with the means to purchase any regular production vehicle sold in the U.S. yet still chooses a Chevrolet.
And yes cars ARE our forte, NO OTHER carmaker ON THE PLANET can provide a performance vehicle that can do all that some of our cars (Corvette, CTS-V, Mustang GT etc.) can do for the same (and even much more in some cases) money.
And our light to medium duty truck lines almost totally embarrass their import nameplate counterparts as well.
In those arenas GM and Ford (and even Chrysler in some cases) cannot be matched.

You keep saying "how many 30 y o Jap' cars do you see still on the road", that argument may be nostalgic but it is irrelevant.
It may be irrelevant but it's also true.

as long as the Japs can give me a car that lasts 6 or so years, for a good price
They can do that for you, true.
And so can GM and Ford (Malibu and Fusion/Taurus).
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Secondly, I do not see demand being high in 2032 on an '02 car car that will not run. Old cars do not need computer software to make them run. Todays cars do, and i strongly believe that that software and the computers to use that software will no longer exist in 30 years, just as the examples of media I made earlier.
So a 84 vette will die in 5 years? It is 25 years old already, and there are plenty of them still running with the original computers in them.

You can still buy working Atari 2600 that were first introduced in 1977! They even have emulators that allow you to run the original ROMs on a PC.

Whether or not our cars will be worth anything in the future is dependent upon whether there is enough interest in keeping them running. As long as the interest is there, parts will be available. Someone will probably come up with a PCM emulator that runs on the latest processors 50 years from now if our PCMs start failing.

I am sure the value of our cars in the future will be cyclical, just like oil, the stock market, real estate, ..... Sometimes they will be worth more, and sometimes they will be worth less.

With that being said, my thought is that cars are bad investments. When you take into account the maintenance and insurance that you will pay for a car over 30 years, you will be very lucky to ever break even on the car, heck with making a profit. I think they will always have some value, they will not be worthless.