Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to MD, VA or DC

Old 05-02-2009, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to MD, VA or DC

Whats up everybody! Im moving to the area around DC, and will be attending University of Maryland. I got a couple of questions:

Whats a good area to be renting in?

Is inspection a pain in the ***, doubt ill have cats left.

Where are all the good tracks?

What else should i know?

How much fun im going to have?! thanks
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Mannassas, chantilliy Va is nice ..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Growing up in the area i would not live around campus at all. i would go with what steel said and northern VA or montgomery county MD. In general stay away from PG county in MD. Be prepared that renting anything is expensive. Traffic SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since they closed down 75/80 i would say MIR on the eastside is a very nice track. You will have a lot of fun with wrx's and evo's the plauge the area.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

let me be the first to say that MD inspection is a royal PITA. Unless you know someone or go to a hole in the wall shop that will et non safety stuff slide, plan on making your car legal even if it's window tint. UMD surrounding neighborhoods are hit or miss, you have very nice older houses next to section 8 townhomes but you just have to look around. My gf's sister's car was broken into last night like a mile from campus, so if possible, get a garage lol.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by chevy8806
Growing up in the area i would not live around campus at all. i would go with what steel said and northern VA or montgomery county MD. In general stay away from PG county in MD. Be prepared that renting anything is expensive. Traffic SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since they closed down 75/80 i would say MIR on the eastside is a very nice track. You will have a lot of fun with wrx's and evo's the plauge the area.
Just so you know 75-80 is reopened! It opened a few weeks ago and it has always been my favorite track..........
Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah some of those areas around there arent too bad but they do place the section 8 houses in nice areas it seems like anymore. I think the MD state inspection is gravy, you just have to know what you need to have to get through it.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i think our inspection is pretty easy as well. never heard of any real troubles. and traffic does suck down that way.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Regular

When are you moving? Why not move on campus and avoid traffic altogether? The campus really is beautiful with plenty of beautiful women walking everywhere!! lol
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoever mentioned Manassas and Chantilly is smoking crack. You will absolutely HATE your commute. I'd definitely try to stay around campus. Unfortunately, I don't know much about MD other than the Rockville/Bethesda area to suggest anything.

FWIW, we're moving out of this area. We couldn't be happier. Cost of living and traffic are horrible, not to mention some of the most uptight and ignorant people I've ever met.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Some places aren't bad...but its the cost of living and the cost of traveling/time that will kill you. You are better off getting a place near campus then to travel as far as manassas...

I live in springfield, it sucks here, don't move here. Its a cluster f of traffic and every nationality ever thought of. English is a second language.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
Some places aren't bad...but its the cost of living and the cost of traveling/time that will kill you. You are better off getting a place near campus then to travel as far as manassas...

I live in springfield, it sucks here, don't move here. Its a cluster f of traffic and every nationality ever thought of. English is a second language.
Yeah how sad is that when English is not the 1st language? Manassas to college park would be a 40 minute commute w/ no traffic and probably 2 hours w/ so I'd highly recommend NOT looking for a place there either.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

You can find some nice areas around the DC/Virginia are but you still have to be careful.
And inspection seems hit and miss like someone mentioned. First time I got my car inspected my horn didn't work, and there were problems with my door(it randomly flies open :}) and they didn't catch it. Second time around I had to get it inspected again because my license plates were suspended. They caught the horn, the door, and alot of other stuff. Turned out to be a bitch. Woulda been worse but my mechanic managed to find a way to get the horn work enough to make them think it was working. Good luck you should enjoy it here.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Wow, good amount of info, thanks for the responses so far. I plan on moving next summer, moving onto the campus for the women would be great, but im sure the wife will kill my *** lol. For some reason she's thinking of moving to Adams Morgan neighborhood? Or Georgetown? How far is that from UMD? About the second language thing...around here is slooowww and slooooowwweeeerrr, change of pace is welcome. I guess ill keep the Alabama tags for a while, lol
Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Georgetown and Adams Morgan - that's IN the city. It's also party central for the young professionals, not to mention $$$$$$$$$
Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Teching In

adams morgan is where the fun happens at night
Old 05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Inspection is hit or miss. One guy told me i couldnt have aftermarket wheels, lol. Dont live far from campus or the commuting will kill you.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah everyone has pretty much said it all. Traffic in this area is freaken crazy so if you want an easy commute stay close to campus. As for the track most people go to MIR or a local 1/8th mile track. There is a pretty big F-body scene in VA and in MD so anywhere around this area you can find people and go to some weekend meets!!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Hey all, I know this is kind of an older post, but I was actually about to ask this same question about Virginia. I'm Navy, moving to the Norfolk area, I've already been told traffic is a PITA, and some of the places near base are pretty ghetto. (That's how all Navy bases are though, it's usually the cheapest land lol)

My questions are more for my car, what kind of laws as far as inspection should I worry about in Virginia? I've got the works, from full exhaust + ORY pipe to lowered suspension with aftermarket rims. I've got AIR/EGR delete and I'm mostly worried about whether or not the smog test.
If not, I should be good. Most I'll have to do is change out my Y-pipe to one with Cats (if they are picky about that) take off my illegal tint and swap out my blacked out front turn signals.
Also, are they picky about front license plates?
Thanks in advance, for the help.

One more question. Anyone in this forum from the Norfolk area that likes to cruise? I should be coming there in April - May timeframe. As soon as I get my feet on the ground, I'd like to meet up with some F-body guys.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:13 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Norfolk is not remotely close to NoVA.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Teching In

I don't see the relevance here,
Originally Posted by demonspeed
Norfolk is not remotely close to NoVA.

Search this Thread