Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Believe it or not...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcemanss
in order to be a licensed architect are you required to have a master's degree? ive seen a few people in graduate course and their books are the biggest thing ive ever seen. cool looking build there must be some really in depth projects that go on i couldn't imagine what to do with the prints.
No you do not "have" to have a Masters Degree, but some need it:

There are two types of schools for Architects. You can take a 4-year Bachelor of Science in Architecture but in the North East if you have the 4-year degree you are not eligable to sit for the lisencing exams. Some states like Colorado do allow a person with a 4-year degree to become an architect.

In NJ/NY/PA/CT/MA and most other states however you need to either have a 5-year Bachelor of Architecture degree [which is what I have] or a 4-year Bachelor Degree in just abot anything PLUS a 3-year Masters of Architecture degree. Then you need 5800 hours of work under the supervision of a licensed architect, 80 hours of community service, and you need to pass 7 exams...
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

My brother went to Wentworth in Boston and he did a 5 year bachelor. He also spent a semester in Germany... I know at the end of this month he has to take like 9 exams or something stupid to keep his License. He's been studying his *** off. He has his contracting license also. He graduated in 1993. He's worked for all the big firms in Boston. His project right now is designing the new Blue Cross/Blue Shield building in Providence, RI.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

holy cow! thats where im from ^^^ everytime i go home something is being built there. im in the military so i don't go home much.

i can't believe how much schooling is involved but now that i think about it, it's a good thing. multi million dollar contracts are on the line and coutless hours/years going into builds; i wouldn't exactly want a dumbass running the show.