Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Is anyone good with electronics / circuit boards?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Is anyone good with electronics / circuit boards?

My amplifier stopped working the other day and I think it's an rca issue. If I wiggle the connection it starts to work again. I would hate to have to buy a new amp for a simple soldering issue and I really suck at soldering.

Is there anyone who would be able to look at it for me? I don't mind paying you for your time.

Thanks.

I'm in Doylestown PA and don't mind taking a ride.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
My amplifier stopped working the other day and I think it's an rca issue. If I wiggle the connection it starts to work again. I would hate to have to buy a new amp for a simple soldering issue and I really suck at soldering.

Is there anyone who would be able to look at it for me? I don't mind paying you for your time.

Thanks.

I'm in Doylestown PA and don't mind taking a ride.
Dude soldering is soooo easy! You could probably buy a sodering gun and solder from harbor freight for a little cash. I have soldered circuit boads and I am a copper (refrigerent) solderer by profession( HVAC).
Old 07-29-2009, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

If you can get it down here, drop it off, I can do it for you at work and have it for you the next day. Let me know, but you have to give me a ride in that sweet bird!

If you are pressed for time and do not want to make two trips we can work onit at my house.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks httrdd. Let me look at the calendar and see when I have some free time. It looks like about a 2 hour drive to Pittston from Doylestown.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 AM
On The Tree

Alright let me know when you have free time and we could work something out. We are planing a fbody cruise around sept-oct if you can wait that long.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the sound of it, it really won't take much if any skill at soldering to fix. If you open the amp up and find where the RCA jacks are soldered into the circuit board, just touch the soldering iron to the connection, wait for it to melt, and then remove it, that should do it. I'd say worst case is that the little stripe of copper on the circuit board itself is cracked, in which case you could just use a small piece of wire to bridge from the jack to the next point on the circuit board. Stupid question, but you tried different cables right?
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Not only did I try different cables, but I actually hooked up another amp using all of the same connections and the second amp worked perfectly. I checked the rca connections tonight, and they look fine, so I'm wondering if the issue is inside the rca connection itself.

Who knows...
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Can you take the amp apart wiggle the wires then check to se what is loose by checking continuity? It seems like the problem is internal for sure since the wires are good.

Search this Thread