Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

PA questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default PA questions

Alright, looks like I'm moving back to PA. I never had owned a car up there though as I had left when I was 13. My Dad's county only has visual inspection, I plan on having two hi flow cats welded on I guess. I have a single 4" exhaust. Can anyone recommend 3" cats that would be small enough to fit my setup? Also how picky are they on visual inspections, they aren't going to flip out if I had ripped my AIR stuff out right? What's the law on exhaust piping, has to exit the side or rear of vehicle? I'm dumped at the moment.

I'm probably going to be disappointed asking this question, where is the nearest 1/4 track going to be? I will be living approx. 45 minutes North of Scranton. I also want to start on some road courses and trying my luck at some autocross. Wondering where I can do some of that.

Also what is there in the way for performance shops up this way?

For those that have to keep their car outside in the winter and don't opt to drive it, what are some things you do for it? I'm thinking next summer I would POR-15 the bottom of it or something, but after 5 years of working on it I don't want this car to rot out.

Hmm I think that's all I'm curious about at the moment. Thanks in advance! -Corey
Old 08-28-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm probably going to be disappointed asking this question, where is the nearest 1/4 track going to be?
beaver springs dragway is about 2 hours away from scranton. http://www.beaversprings.com/

Numidia is probably closer
http://www.numidiadragway.net/
Old 08-28-2009, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

I am a PA Inspection mechanic. Even if you car is registered in a county where you are emmissions exempt. your car will still get checked me make sure it has everything there. the exceptions would be emissions stuff that you can be see, just looking at it, (for example, if you egr valve is under you intake and you ould have to phyically unbolt the intake to check to see if it was there, it would be Non-applicable, which means you dont have to check it. Hope it makes sence. You air stuff will have to be connected, since that is really easy ot see. Pipes must exit the vehicle, no dumps unless its a pick-up and past the cab of he truck. Sorry abut this, PA has one of the strictest inspection laws in this country. Hopefully you can find a shop with a guy who can look the other way at this stuff. What county are you moving to? I am 15 miles north of philly. near Valley Forge PArk and King of Prussia.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

the cars i dont drive in the winter, i just start them up alteast every 2 weeks, or sooner and let them run to full temp, then if the roads arent too salty and dry, I take the m for a spin around the block. key thing is to keep the snow off of it so it can breath. and driving it gets the fluids flowing and air underneath the vehicle. Do that and it will last a long long long time. I drive my truck and camaro in the winter, just wash them as soon as you can after a snow storm if you had it out on the roads. I wash my cars as much as I caN In the winter, no matter how cold it is outside. Ifyou look at them, you would never know it ever seen a winter a day in there lives.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

So can the pipe exit the side then? Might be hard for me to find just the over the axle portion of a 4" exhaust. I'm going to be North of Scranton, I'll be almost in NY. Yeah I'm going to be in a small town where everyone knows everyone, hopefully they won't care about the egr or air. That stuff is retarted, I guess later LS1 people are lucky that it wasn't even there in the first place. My car was leaned out on a dyno tune, probably emits less pollutants then when all the stupid emissions crap worked on the car new with the rich factory tune.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Buy a beater for the snow!
Old 08-28-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Already got one, 88 Silverado. My truck is ugly!
Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just keep an eye out for other hot cars when you move. Talk to the owners and find out where they take their cars. You'll be fine.

As for a track, Lebanon Valley in NY may be closer for you or Island Dragway in NJ. Not sure if Lebanon Valley will open again.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like a good idea, I only heard one other healthy Fbody when I was up for a few weeks this summer.

So I'll probably have to run the exhaust pipe out the back though, so Mufflex is up North somewhere then? Seems logical to have the company known for 4" to get the last two feet done.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may or may not. Depends on the shop. I ran my true duals dumped at the axle under the car for 2 years without any problems. Never got stopped by the police for it. Most liked the sound. It's once you get into those dinky little towns in PA where the local cop doesn't have anything better to do than to write tickets for equipment violations, that you get into trouble.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I'm thinking just to be on the safe side. I'm going to order a pair of these I think:Looks like cats. Then if someplace up there can run me some 4" piping over the axle I'll just dump it back there. If I were to be stopped and someone wanted to look they would see what looks like two cats and a tailpipe that ends at the back of the car.

Oh its loud!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SiaipF59eU

I'm going to be living in a small town. No cop though, a few loud trucks, might be a Mustang around. I drive my car everywhere though, until I get the LT1 swap done in my truck, I hate driving my truck. Guess I'll have to live with the shitty TBI for one winter though.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Should I have problems passing inspection if the car is loud? My Dad is telling me it will never pass inspection due to the loudness, but really if you have $15k in a car and parts and we all know I'd be lucky to get $5k for it, well we all know this car is never being sold.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:24 PM
10 Second Club

you'll be fine, you just gotta find the right guy don't spend any $ on making the thing look any different, not worth it.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

I assure you that my car is probably as loud or louder than yours. It's not an issue with inspection.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 AM
12 Second Club

I live in PA, about an hour south of Scranton. I have no cats and no mufflers, my car is inspected. Just talk to some people you should be alright.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, I'm feeling better about this.