Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Shops poke your heads in please

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a more serious note i would suggest helping out/working in a performance shop before trying to start your own. Theres tons of things to learn that you will never figure out just helping friends in your/their garage.I know have learned alot in the past month that i have been working at a lsx performance shop.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooo yea that makes sense thanks man
Old 10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

From a business standpoint, be prepared for a lot of ups and downs. You have to have the equity, and time, to be able to manage the low times. My wife has her own graphic design business, and it can be a tough route to go. You never know what week to week what things are going to be like.

I'd second the notion of getting in with a good shop first, and developing your reputation and skills before trying it on your own.

Just look at Chip Foose. He started as a designer / fabricator for Boyd Coddington before opening his own business.

At least you have a plan, and goals. Work hard to reach them, but don't be afraid to drop back and punt if things don't work out.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

/\ yea definately a good buddy of mine runs his own vinyl graphics and decals and **** and sometimes he has some really shitty weeks but then again som really good weeks also i know its not gonna be easy but ill do a little more talking and listening. i have three years before my active duty time is up
Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by highflyin
On a more serious note i would suggest helping out/working in a performance shop before trying to start your own. Theres tons of things to learn that you will never figure out just helping friends in your/their garage.I know have learned alot in the past month that i have been working at a lsx performance shop.
Thats the best advise right there.

I worked on my own and with a shop for 8 years before opening this place.There are only 2 people working here and it's tough to stay busy all the time.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I can tell you is good Luck. After spending the last 15 years of my life around speed shops and seeing some really good ones close. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. This is one of the worst times to start a business. Go to SEMA Ask for some figures you will see how much the aftermarket industry has taken a hit. Look at all the dealerships closing. And the area your are proposing to place a shop in is already so saturated with shops. I give Fran at RPM a lot of credit he took a huge risk and it paid off for him. But Im sure he would say they same thing it was a lot of luck and hard work. Plus Fran had a financial backer who saw him through the hard times. Which i sure were many in the first year or so. Go sit down with Nelson Sr of Evolution Performance he started a tiny tire and gen repair shop which over 30 years grew into his performance shop. Mustang performace just fell into thier lap. He didnt start out wanting to do Stangs. When I first stated there I had the only Mustang and they were into GTO's now they one of the biggest names in aftermarket Mustang Performance. Just be prepared for the worst of the worst. Owning your own business is hard and sometimes so frustrating that you wished you worked for someone else. But the best advice I can honestly say is Go be an apprentice go work for someone who has a shop learn the ins and outs learn the ups and downs figure out how to do it better. See what ideas have worked and what ones have failed. Spend a few years there then make your move. Im not saying steal someones business plan or take customers from them but if you work in town A and open a shop 40 miles away in town B is that really hurting your old boss?

Last edited by Scoop; 11-23-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoop
Only thing I can tell you is good Luck. After spending the last 15 years of my life around speed shops and seeing some really good ones close. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. This is one of the worst times to start a business. Go to SEMA Ask for some figures you will see how much the aftermarket industry has taken a hit. Look at all the dealerships closing. And the area your are proposing to place a shop in is already so saturated with shops. I give Fran at RPM a lot of credit he took a huge risk and it paid off for him. But Im sure he would say they same thing it was a lot of luck and hard work. Plus Fran had a financial backer who saw him through the hard times. Which i sure were many in the first year or so. Go sit down with Nelson Sr of Evolution Performance he started a tiny tire and gen repair shop which over 30 years grew into his performance shop. Mustang performace just fell into thier lap. He didnt start out wanting to do Stangs. When I first stated there I had the only Mustang and they were into GTO's now they one of the biggest names in aftermarket Mustang Performance. Just be prepared for the worst of the worst. Owning your own business is hard and sometimes so frustrating that you wished you worked for someone else. But the best advice I can honestly say is Go be an apprentice go work for someone who has a shop learn the ins and outs learn the ups and downs figure out how to do it better. See what ideas have worked and what ones have failed. Spend a few years there then make your move. Im not saying steal someones business plan or take customers from them but if you work in town A and open a shop 40 miles away in town B is that really hurting your old boss?

Now i wouldnt go saying i had a finacial backer there scoop. MY mom gave me 5k when i first started to buy my lifts and stuff and MAYBE another 5k through out the first year or so. She has LENT me money here and there but only ever GIVEN me alittle bit of money.