Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Virginia Emmisions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virginia Emmisions

Im looking at buying a car located out of state and I'm going to have to get it inspected pretty quick when I get back. The car doesn't have any cats on it and I was wondering how many of you are not running cats on your daily drivers here in Virginia, and if so do you have "special shops" that are passing you or are you just getting let off because they dont really care?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not all counties require emissions, where are you located???
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

The counties and cities in Northern Va do emissions testing only. You can check the VA DMV's website to verify. All other areas do not do emissions. Everyone does a visual check for the presence of catalytic converters during the VA safety inspections.

Good luck getting the name of a "good ole boy" shop.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

PM me and I'll see if I can get you a good shop to do it, most won't give you a reciept, just a sticker.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lucky for me my vette was so low he was like i'm not even going to bother jacking it up. He just checked the brakes through the wheels. Took my word for the rest...

I would just have some high flow cats welded in, it's not worth the trouble.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
I would just have some high flow cats welded in, it's not worth the trouble.
I would just do that but it sucks because thats just more money being taken away from everything else I want to do.

By the way im in the southeast. Chesapeake to be exact.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

I posted this in another forum, had to find it....
This is how you do it. When you go to the DMV to get your new registration, there is a spot that asks you where the car is garaged. One spot is for where its registered to, which is your residence, the other is where the car is garaged. Put in the garaged spot, some city that doesnt have emissions. You only have to give the ciy and state. No actual address. I live in Centreville so Fairfax county, my car is "garaged" in Dahlgren I have been emissions free for two years. and i just got my renewal in the mail. i pay the registration fee, and my new stickers come in. its a great system.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had my camaro registered in culpeper. It worked, but it's illegal as hell. Not doing that while my vette is parked out on the street here. A cop could run my tag and ask why my car is not parked in the other county.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

tell him you took it for a joy ride? what does teh law say about it. i mean, im sure its illegal, but how? its still registered, its registered where you live, if you have it "garaged" somewhere else, how can they prove its not garaged there? Unless the same cop drives by every night, and checks your car, then maybe, but what is he gonig to do, tell you to fix your registration? i also have family in the city i garaged it, so if they really want to give me crap, i give them that address and tell them i have it up for the week. i just dont see it being something you lose your license over, but then again i could be wrong. this is just MHO.