Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

The Phillies await their fate...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not all about money take two f bodys 1 just spends the most money on a head and cam package without knowing what will work toghter and another spends less but sees what combo works with what its not always money that makes you win
Old 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
I wouldnt be bitching, i just really wouldnt care about them. I would feel HALF the emotion if my team went out and bought the best players. For instance, last year compared to this year as far as the AL goes. You have the 202 million dollar yankees against the what 50 million dollar ray? or didnt A rod get paid more than their whole team??? Id be a tampa fan over the yankees any day of the week.

I agree with you, the yankees are the most historic team in any sport, they've had more baseball hereos than i can count. I even count jeter up there with all the greats, micky, yogi, babe, dimaggio, all of them.

I'll rephrase my comments, ill say i hate the no salary cap in baseball. image how competitive a 100,000,000 dollar cap would be make the league.
I can kinda see your point but in NY we have 2 teams and the Met fans that I speak to always complain about Met management not going out and getting these higher paid athletes and they are bitter because of that when they lose so it goes both ways.
Money doesn't buy championships all the time, been 9 years since the last Yankee championship. Few years ago Yanks wouldn't secure Andy Petite and he left, then came back when Yanks made a decent offer so it's not like they are just throwing money around all the time. It's harder to play in NY, fans are real tough on a guy so it does take a special player to perform and be successfull in NY and they should be payed more.
Take Randy Johnson (Big Unit) for example, hall of fame pitcher, big $$ blah blah-guys gets his attitide in public before he even throws a pitch, then doesn't perform fast enough, falls off-NY fans eat that up-he never had a chance here, not because of talent but attitude. Fans get on a player in a bad way here, guy has to be able to work through that-not everyone can do it, those that do and can be successfull in NY, command a better salary.
Lots of franchaises getting new stadiums these days, they should keep the old stadiums and pay the players more so they can get the best, win, then get a new stadium.

Anyway, Phillies were damn tough, out in front almost every game, won the first game in yankee stadium, damn tough. Good Series to watch!!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by therobman
its not all about money take two f bodys 1 just spends the most money on a head and cam package without knowing what will work toghter and another spends less but sees what combo works with what its not always money that makes you win
lol nice analogy, i think it goes more like this. the yankees are a billet dart block spraying 500 hp with LSW heads, sheetmetal intake, fab 9 rear, full suspension, funny car cage, etc....thats what 201,000,000 gets you

the florida marlins in last at 36,000,000 are a stock motor spittin oil like a washer machine, a 10 bolt that whines worse than your wife and a "heavily ported throttle body"...that pricey car may spin a few times and give you a race, but 9 times out out of 10 your toast.

Last edited by Mike@HSW; 11-05-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by tektrans
I can kinda see your point but in NY we have 2 teams and the Met fans that I speak to always complain about Met management not going out and getting these higher paid athletes and they are bitter because of that when they lose so it goes both ways.
Money doesn't buy championships all the time, been 9 years since the last Yankee championship. Few years ago Yanks wouldn't secure Andy Petite and he left, then came back when Yanks made a decent offer so it's not like they are just throwing money around all the time. It's harder to play in NY, fans are real tough on a guy so it does take a special player to perform and be successfull in NY and they should be payed more.
Take Randy Johnson (Big Unit) for example, hall of fame pitcher, big $$ blah blah-guys gets his attitide in public before he even throws a pitch, then doesn't perform fast enough, falls off-NY fans eat that up-he never had a chance here, not because of talent but attitude. Fans get on a player in a bad way here, guy has to be able to work through that-not everyone can do it, those that do and can be successfull in NY, command a better salary.
Lots of franchaises getting new stadiums these days, they should keep the old stadiums and pay the players more so they can get the best, win, then get a new stadium.

Anyway, Phillies were damn tough, out in front almost every game, won the first game in yankee stadium, damn tough. Good Series to watch!!
You are right, money doesnt make you win, but it certainly helps your chances. Obviously it increases the expectations of a team as well. like i mentioned in that other post, no one is expecting the 36,000,000 dollar marlins to win a championship, but its that much sweeter when they do as a result of having zero expectations.

I dont mean everyone on that team. As i mentioned before i think jeter is amazing and a real current day hero in the sport. I like petite a lot, his two outings were very very impressive. I am obviously refering more to the acquistion of sabathia, burnett and tex after not making the playoffs last year. thats some serious cash.

NY and philly arent that far apart, id say we are just as tough if not more than any other city out there. It was a good series, i do wish it had gone to seven games regardless of who won.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For me, as a Phillies fan, it's about getting to know the team, and the personalities associated with the team. The Phillies have arguably the best farm system in all of baseball and you get to watch these guys grow and mature into hall of fame all star players through the seasons. When you go and get paid 'guns' to come in and win, there's no connection to them. I mean what really makes you like a team?

In the off-season, could the Phils sign or trade for A-roid? I hope not, I'd rather see the Phils bring up someone from triple-A and develop the talent.

Look at how often the Yankees fans boo'd Damon, one season later they cheer for him.
I really enjoyed this series, granted, I wish it would have been 2 in a row for the Phils, or gone seven games, but either way, it was the two best teams in baseball playing great baseball.

If it were a 15 game series, the Yankees might still have won in 12 or 13 games.
I will say that playing in Philly and New York are probably the toughest two markets because of the passion and knowledge of the fans. They know the stats, strengths, weaknesses and streaks associated with their players and expect nothing but 100% from them.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I will say that playing in Philly and New York are probably the toughest two markets because of the passion and knowledge of the fans.

i heard that on ESPN as well, the north east is a tough passionate crowd regardless of the sport
Old 11-05-2009, 07:06 PM
9 Second Club

For me, as a Phillies fan, it's about getting to know the team, and the personalities associated with the team. The Phillies have arguably the best farm system in all of baseball and you get to watch these guys grow and mature into hall of fame all star players through the seasons. When you go and get paid 'guns' to come in and win, there's no connection to them. I mean what really makes you like a team?

I feel the same way but more about when it comes to football. I hate the free agency aspect of it and you're right it makes it hard to identify with players on your team of choice. You can't even go out and buy a freakin' football jersey anymore because the guy might be gone the next year.
I think in baseball it's not as bad because if the amount of games played during the year.
160 game season to footballs 16. **** a guy could play for 10years in the NFL and play as many games as a hired gun in baseball for a season. I think at least in baseball you get so many games it's much easier to identify with a team so even if a guy plays for a year or 2 you feel an attatchment to that player whereas in football you get a handfull of games and then he's gone.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

I will say that playing in Philly and New York are probably the toughest two markets because of the passion and knowledge of the fans. They know the stats, strengths, weaknesses and streaks associated with their players and expect nothing but 100% from them.
Funny vid from the Daily Show about Philly and Ny fans:

http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/2...to-ny-douches/
Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
lol nice analogy, i think it goes more like this. the yankees are a billet dart block spraying 500 hp with LSW heads, sheetmetal intake, fab 9 rear, full suspension, funny car cage, etc....thats what 201,000,000 gets you

the florida marlins in last at 36,000,000 are a stock motor spittin oil like a washer machine, a 10 bolt that whines worse than your wife and a "heavily ported throttle body"...that pricey car may spin a few times and give you a race, but 9 times out out of 10 your toast.
hahaha that was great i can stop laughing

Quick Reply: The Phillies await their fate...