Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

How would you react in this situation

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Mr. B
No offense to anyone but that bottom middle pic of him just screams: 'flaming homosexual, pouting underwear model, pretty boy wannabe' LOL...not that there is anything wrong with being a gay model or anything of course.
But he's quite wealthy (understatement of the week LOL) and can certainly get more chicks than any of us if he wants so more power to him.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:50 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
No offense to anyone but that bottom middle pic of him just screams: 'flaming homosexual, pouting underwear model, pretty boy wannabe' LOL...not that there is anything wrong with being a gay model or anything of course.
But he's quite wealthy (understatement of the week LOL) and can certainly get more chicks than any of us if he wants so more power to him.
That pic is part of a Tag Heuer add, he is a spokesperson for the Formula 1 series of Tags.

Im sure he can get a **** ton of poon, but he is Married to Jenni Dahlman-Raikkonen, who is a model. LOL
Old 11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

I highly doubt its fake. Its not like its Michael Jordan or something.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
I highly doubt its fake. Its not like its Michael Jordan or something.
that guy is probably worth more than MJ. F1 guys are huge over there and make tons of cash and the good racers have very long careers unlike those in contact sports. How much you think Mario Andretti is worth?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tektrans
that guy is probably worth more than MJ. F1 guys are huge over there and make tons of cash and the good racers have very long careers unlike those in contact sports. How much you think Mario Andretti is worth?
Actually the richest athlete is Tiger Woods, he's the first billionaire athlete. Actually I think Jordan is second considering he actually owns the right to the Air Jordan logo and apparel business. I just googled it, and back in 2007, they said that Schumacher was on par with Jordan for net worth. Who knows about today. Here's the Forbes acticle about the richest athletes.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/09/29/tig...rts-tiger.html

Last edited by The Alchemist; 11-03-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM
CARTEK Racing

according to Forbes:

as of 2008, he is listed as the 26th highest paid celebrity overall and the 5th highest paid sportsman behind Tiger Woods, David Beckham, Michael Jordan and Phil Mickelson. In 2009, Räikkönen is listed as the 2nd highest paid athlete in the world, still behind Woods

His contract was $51Mil/year for 3 years. This does not include bonuses for winning races, winning the Driver's World Championship (2007) and helping Ferrari win the Constructor's World Championship in 2007 and 2008. After that come the endorsements like Tag Heuer.

As for the Michael Jordon comment; outside the US, and especially in Europe, Kimi Raikkonen is far more well known than Michael Jordan.

As of the late 90's Formula 1 has been the most watched sport world wide, which means his name is exposed to far more people than players in the NBA. Not to mention that there are at any one time several hundred active players in the NBA [though Jordan is a one and only type] but there are only 20 active Formula 1 drivers in the world, a far more exclusive club.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
according to Forbes:

as of 2008, he is listed as the 26th highest paid celebrity overall and the 5th highest paid sportsman behind Tiger Woods, David Beckham, Michael Jordan and Phil Mickelson. In 2009, Räikkönen is listed as the 2nd highest paid athlete in the world, still behind Woods

His contract was $51Mil/year for 3 years. This does not include bonuses for winning races, winning the Driver's World Championship (2007) and helping Ferrari win the Constructor's World Championship in 2007 and 2008. After that come the endorsements like Tag Heuer.

As for the Michael Jordon comment; outside the US, and especially in Europe, Kimi Raikkonen is far more well known than Michael Jordan.

As of the late 90's Formula 1 has been the most watched sport world wide, which means his name is exposed to far more people than players in the NBA. Not to mention that there are at any one time several hundred active players in the NBA [though Jordan is a one and only type] but there are only 20 active Formula 1 drivers in the world, a far more exclusive club.
There is absolutely ZERO CHANCE that Kimi Raikkonen is a more recognizable name than Michael Jordan. Anywhere.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

There is absolutely ZERO CHANCE that Kimi Raikkonen is a more recognizable name than Michael Jordan. Anywhere.
ignorance is bliss.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 AM
CARTEK Racing

You're kidding me right?

Have you ever been outside the United States? In Europe? How many French people do you see walking around in a "23" Bulls Jersey? How many will you see with a red Ferrari had and a Finish [as in the country not the end of the race] flag on it?

-Jordan has not played in what, close to a decade? Kimi was a Driver for Ferrari F1.
-The NBA hosts games in the US/Canada Formula 1 has 18+ races in 17+ countries on 5 out of 7 continents.

Formula 1 just had their first race in Abu Dhabi [UAE], Kimi was everywhere, opening up a Tag store, at the opening of the Ferrari World amusement park. If you ask someone in Abu Dhabi to pick out a picture of Michael Jordan from a line up and a picture of Kimi in a line up, so you realy think they will have a harder time picking out Kimi over Jordan?

You are very delusional my friend.

In the US, sure. No one would know who the hell Raikkonen is. That is why he can go to NYC, walk around the streets and not be bothered. Michael Schumacher does the same. I am sure Jordan can go to Valancia Spain and walk around as just another American turist. But put Kimi on the street there and you will have a riot!

As Mark said, ignorace is blis dude.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.google.com/trends?q=kimi+...ate=all&sort=0

Its not even close according to google. Use the drop down bar to change countries. The gap does get smaller in Europe. Kimi has more news stories, yet still is searched less. Pretty good judge of worldwide popularity especially with only approximately 13% of the worlds internet users being from the US. 15% from N. America.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

Google:
kimi raikkonen about 3.92m pages
michael jordon about 45m pages
tiger woods about 23.8m pages
derek jeter about 3.52m pages
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM
CARTEK Racing

Its not even close according to google. Use the drop down bar to change countries. The gap does get smaller in Europe. Kimi has more news stories, yet still is searched less. Pretty good judge of worldwide popularity especially with only approximately 13% of the worlds internet users being from the US. 15% from N. America.

Google:
Search trend does not equal popularity overall.

Think about it, is anyone in Singapore realy Google-ing Derek Jeter? Even though only 13% of the world's internet conections are in the US, I am sure that there is a disproportionaly larger amount of bandwidth used in the US than in other locations.

If you listen to the Howard Stern who, quite a few times a gues they had on that day will be Googles number one search that day or week. Does that mean that that person is more famous that Jordan? Doubt it, especialy when half the time its a **** star.

Just because more poeople search for MJ on google, does not mean he is more recognisable in all parts of the world than Kimi. In the US, yes w/o a doubt. But in Europe, Asia, Middle East... I doubt it. Especialy in countries like Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Brazil where Formula 1 and Soccer far ourpace American Basketball from 10 years ago.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM
9 Second Club

Google:

the world according to google??
Old 11-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What?! Your basing someone's popularity based on a google search?

More countires on earth know what F1 racing is then basketball. Basketball isnt even that big outside of the USA. F1 races are held everywhere around the world and the best racers travel to all of the different countries.

You either stubborn and even though you know your wrong you wont admit it or you are that far off your rocker that you actually think a tiny sport like basketball has more popularity then a world wide sport like F1 racing. Whatever man, arguing the fact is like talking to a brick wall.

I can find you a google article to prove that big foot, ufo's, vampires, werewolves, the lochness monster and a half man half goat are real..........that must be correct then right? Common sense can answer alot of questions.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO

More countires on earth know what F1 racing is then basketball. Basketball isnt even that big outside of the USA. F1 races are held everywhere around the world and the best racers travel to all of the different countries.

You either stubborn and even though you know your wrong you wont admit it or you are that far off your rocker that you actually think a tiny sport like basketball has more popularity then a world wide sport like F1 racing. Whatever man, arguing the fact is like talking to a brick wall.

I can find you a google article to prove that big foot, ufo's, vampires, werewolves, the lochness monster and a half man half goat are real..........that must be correct then right? Common sense can answer alot of questions.
Damn... I did not think anyone would support me when it came to saying something as "Un-American" as F1 is more pupular than Basketball lol

Siriosly though, I did not think anyone would take my side on this. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

How much you think Mario Andretti is worth?
Mario probably isn't worth quite as much as one might think, he was in F1 during a different era where the money was strong but not at all like it is today (as would be the case with most sports/athletes).
Mario's money probably came more from endorsements, ads and team ownership after he'd retired then while he was actually driving.

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
I see your points and do agree for the most part but I believe what some might be talking about is not so much 'F1 versus NBA' but the visible recognition of an actual single person/individual walking down the street in public.
MJ is known around the world as well because 1) ads involving/including him are in fact shown/displayed in Europe and Asia and 2) popular American culture (which he is a part of) is strewn all around the world through new technology/satellite/cable TV etc and 3) he's a really really tall African American dude and he simply stands out (especially if there is already a big crowd around (which again is obviously more likely here than it would be over there))
Worldwide/globally speaking yes, I would still say that Kimi might be more popular than MJ....though I'm betting that Tiger Woods still might have them both covered in that department.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 11-04-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

I'll bet there are more people in attendance of ONE F1 race than ALL the games in the NBA played on any given week and I'd bet that same SINGLE race has MORE home viewers than ALL the viewers for NBA games for THE WHOLE SEASON. It's WORLDWIDE, NBA is just basically in the USA.
Open your eyes Jerky!!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Worldwide/globally speaking yes, I would still say that Kimi might be more popular than MJ....though I'm betting that Tiger Woods still might have them both covered in that department.

Agreed! Golf is Worldwide though, unlike Bball so it makes sense.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

If you guys think NBA is just the USA, you're an idiot. Simple as that. China (you know the largest country in the world?) has a HUGE nba following. Absolutely huge. More people in China play basketball (300m) than the entire population of the United States. 34m viewers a week, just for NBA games in China. over a billion viewers per season.

since you quoted wikipedia (as a credible source even though google as not HAHA) Ill quote the formula one page: Formula One is a massive television event, with a global audience of 600 million people per season

China has a larger NBA viewing population per season that formula f1 globally. Just China. Maybe if you said "in europe" instead of "outside of the US" I wouldnt jump on you but facts are facts.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

I'll bet there are more people in attendance of ONE F1 race than ALL the games in the NBA played on any given week and I'd bet that same SINGLE race has MORE home viewers than ALL the viewers for NBA games for THE WHOLE SEASON. It's WORLDWIDE, NBA is just basically in the USA.
Open your eyes Jerky!!
British GP has 120k, 3 day event 310k

Abu dhabi had 50k in attendance

"This is a dispiriting trend among most of F1’s newest venues. Istanbul had 32,000 fans on race day this year, Sepang had 30,000 – and they only got to see half a race."

No NBA team averages less than 12k fans a game (small arenas, not huge outdoor venues but alas) -- average of 10 games a day...70 game a week, 750K++ people a week in the US attend an NBA game.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
CARTEK Racing

British GP has 120k, 3 day event 310k

Abu dhabi had 50k in attendance

"This is a dispiriting trend among most of F1’s newest venues. Istanbul had 32,000 fans on race day this year, Sepang had 30,000 – and they only got to see half a race."

No NBA team averages less than 12k fans a game (small arenas, not huge outdoor venues but alas) -- average of 10 games a day...70 game a week, 750K++ people a week in the US attend an NBA game.
You are talking about new tracks that no one likes... look up the atendance for Circuit de Catalunya, Nurburgring, Susuka, Interlagos and so on. Not to mention that when I was at Indy in 05-07 there was not a single open seat to be had.

China? I did not even think they could watch American television over there. And as far as people playing a sport; I think its somewhat cheaper to buy a basketball and throw it through a fruit basket nailed to a wall with the bottom cut out then it is to drive a F1 car. Just because people in China play basketball [because it is a cheap sport to get into] does not mean a basketball star who ended his career 10 years ago and does undershirt commertials now is more popular than the highest paid Formula1 driver, who drives for the most famous name in all of motor racing.