Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

How would you react in this situation

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
CARTEK Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How would you react in this situation

I will propose to you a hypothetical situation, and would like to see how you would respond/feel if it happend to you.

Hypothetical:

This may be hard to fallow lol

Imagine you have a sports star you enjoy watching on TV of at the stadium.

One day, through an innocent enough conversation between a someone you know well and their acquaintance [who you have never met or heard of] it is discovered that this acquaintance has connections to the organisation the sports star works for. In this conversation the casual acquaintance also notes to the person who is close to you that he/she can have an object autographed for you by your "idol." You send off a UPS package with this object and wait. During the wait, because of this acquaintance's connections to the organisation the sports star works for, he/she came across some team apperal which is not by any means cheap, and sends it to you at no cost. Brand new, with tags, official murchendice.

A few weeks later, the item you sent off is returned to you via UPS [you did NOT pay return shipping]

However, when you open it, the autoghraph does not looks like what you have expected, having seen it through photo's on the internet.

Do you think that this must be real, why would someone go through all this trouble to fake something, spend money on murchendise, spend money on return shipping only to mess with you by faking a signature?

or

Do you think its fake and make up some consperacy theory as to why it was done?

I know this is a bit odd, but I would like to see an oppinion from someone outside the situation.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending if the person was standing, sitting, walking, signing on someones back, in a rush, busy or whatever the signature can look different. There are places you can take the item and for 10.00 - 25.00 they will look at it and if the signature is legit they will approve it and give you some sort of certification. Doing that will make you know for sure that it's legit or not. Also......if a ball is worth 1,000.00 if someone signed it doesnt meant it's actually worth that yet. It's probably worth 250.00 until someone looks at it and approves the signature.

It's probably legit if they went through the trouble and even sent you the free shirts, they wouldnt waste their time. If it was me and I couldnt do it I'd just send your stuff back and let you know the plans fell through.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Would someone really go through all that trouble and lying just to impress/satisfy someone?

if i couldnt come through i would just say "guy I couldnt get it done for you...im sorry, you know how pro athletes are" and any other guy would say aw thanks for trying, i appreciate it. Thanks for the official jersey you sent us
Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 AM
CARTEK Racing

I am being told to think the same thing you guys are saying... but the problem is the signature looks nothing like what is to be expected.

A note to the "sports star" was enclosed, and a personal messege was returned on the item in question. If it is real, it is worth more to me than it would be to anyone else since the messege is addressed to me. There would be no thought of ever selling it, therefore there is no thought of having it appraised and certified. It is simply something that means a lot to me if it is real but I am having a hard time believeing that it is because the autoghraph does not look like what is seend online, for instance.

I appreciate your opinions guys.

Any more?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend the cash and get it inspected.... it'll always be on your mind otherwise.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ yep thats the only way to know for sure
Old 10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
^ yep thats the only way to know for sure
Problem is, this is not a typical American sports hero and anyone around here will more than likely have no experience with this person's signature.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Send a hypothetical pipe bomb to be signed, then watch the news to find out if it was the actual sports star...
Old 10-30-2009, 01:47 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
Send a hypothetical pipe bomb to be signed, then watch the news to find out if it was the actual sports star...
speaking hypotheticaly right?
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
Teching In

of course
Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Post up pics of the signature and tell us who it is. Maybe we a few other sets of eyes on it might change your mind.

If it is not the real one I would say who cares and move on. No need to question it. You never know if that athelete signed 2000 other things before yours and just got messy in writing.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

this sounds like a sienfeld episode hahaha
Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
I busted out laughing..

Who is the star?
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
this sounds like a sienfeld episode hahaha

it does
Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by lemons12
I busted out laughing..

Who is the star?
Kimi Raikkonen

NO GOOGLE ALLOWED!

My mother's acquaintance is friends with his wife Jenni

I took a photo of him at the US Grand Prix in 2007 in Indy, send away the photo I took of him. Picture was sent for Jenni to pick up and take to him in Brazil 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

My thinking is that it's very possible that it's truly authentic and that the images/style of the publicized versions of his signature might just be cleaned/neatened up for the mass market?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:42 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As someone who signs a lot of official documents, CofA's, logbooks, instrument documention etc etc for FDA purposes, I can tell you that my signature can change day by day. Sometimes it's just first initial and full last name, sometimes full last name and first initial, sometimes I reverse them. We keep on hand and official signature logbook that you have to sign 10 ways to Sunday to be able to use that as an official signature on documents later.

Sometimes it's something you think about, sometimes it just is a flip of the wrist and you're done. I would just enjoy it as if it were real as this wasn't supposed to be an investment item or something you purchased from someone expecting it to be authentic.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01
Kimi Raikkonen

NO GOOGLE ALLOWED!

My mother's acquaintance is friends with his wife Jenni

I took a photo of him at the US Grand Prix in 2007 in Indy, send away the photo I took of him. Picture was sent for Jenni to pick up and take to him in Brazil 2 weeks ago.
Just look at the watch with his signature (I forget the brand)

These folks often have underlings sign for them.

When I was in the Army, I remember seeing this device which duplicated the signature of a high-ranking Officer (kind of like a stylus device) but who knows...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Old 11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club

No way to know for sure but WHY? would it be fake?
You could send a thank you letter to the shipping address or maybe Kimmi is on twitter and you can thank him and see if you get a response?