Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Winter beaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey D, keep the STi for bombing around and smashing into cones. Then buy a nice summer car (Vette, Noble, whatever, etc). The End.

Being a home owner though I still don't know how your getting by without a truck or SUV. That's next on my list. I guess you got the Forrester for that though.

I really don't see you driving around a winter beater back and forth to work for as long as you do, you'll get bored. Plus when you are in a car for 3+hrs a day get something comfy or atleast fun and realiable. You've been driving the STI for a while, just keep driving that and get a man's car for the summer with RWD and a V8 . Just take it easy around those jersy barriers when you get back into rwd, the awd softens you up and is more forgiving
Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rockin the 2000 Buick Century, Only 56,000 on it and got it for 1,500$ from an Estate of my wife's family. Only issue was our idiot cousin got ahold of it and messed some stuff up prior to me getting it but I fixed it all up nice and good.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.......a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Old 11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe "Preachers Sheets" DIESO
.......a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 600
With studded tires and heated grips maybe a bag of sand on the back.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 AM
SMG
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockrock3
Down in Rehoboth, MA we get destroyed with snow..this corridor for some reason along with Attleboro, etc. just gets pounded every winter.

That being said once the stall was put in...the GTO needs to stay in the garage.

Picked up a '95 Explorer XLT off of Craigslist 2 mo. ago for $600 with 190k on it...mint condition. All it needed was an oil change and a tire. Lucked out. Now don't have to worry about fishtailing or getting up hills with 4WD.
its funny you say that about the GTO...we have a customer we built a solstice for and he puts that away and uses his GTO as his winter car....at least until this winter as we have an LS3 block in the shop for it now. He's looking to buy one of those Saab Subaru mixes...the 9-2X i believe it is??? pretty much an impreza
Old 11-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SMG Motoring Inc.
its funny you say that about the GTO...we have a customer we built a solstice for and he puts that away and uses his GTO as his winter car....at least until this winter as we have an LS3 block in the shop for it now. He's looking to buy one of those Saab Subaru mixes...the 9-2X i believe it is??? pretty much an impreza
LOL. The Saabaru. It's basically the WRX with Saab badges. Exact power, and body, only difference is front facia and badges.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Hey D, keep the STi for bombing around and smashing into cones. Then buy a nice summer car (Vette, Noble, whatever, etc). The End.

Being a home owner though I still don't know how your getting by without a truck or SUV. That's next on my list. I guess you got the Forrester for that though.

I really don't see you driving around a winter beater back and forth to work for as long as you do, you'll get bored. Plus when you are in a car for 3+hrs a day get something comfy or atleast fun and realiable. You've been driving the STI for a while, just keep driving that and get a man's car for the summer with RWD and a V8 . Just take it easy around those jersy barriers when you get back into rwd, the awd softens you up and is more forgiving

Yeah. You know I've been debating what to do. I'm still torn until I build the garage as well. Right now it's STi for the winter and build garage in winter or spring...still deciding. After that it's up in the air. It smart to keep the STi due to value as well as DD drivability, then get the toy. I'm really leaning to the 911 since I love them.

As far as the SUV, you gotta remember I got the Forester as well as a truck anytime when I need to borrow it for something (gotta love the in laws).
Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
11 Second Club

911 is big bucks, ZR1 territory. I like em' but they are pretty expensive, which leaves you with lots of options.

Plus a guy asked me the other day, "Hey, have you seen the new 911" I was like Yeah, looks just like the one from 12 years ago

It's still a nice well rounded drivers car with class, new ones makes about 500bhp too. I'd have to assume cost of ownership isn't too cheap either compared to say a c6.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Launching!

911 is big bucks, ZR1 territory. I like em' but they are pretty expensive, which leaves you with lots of options.

Plus a guy asked me the other day, "Hey, have you seen the new 911" I was like Yeah, looks just like the one from 12 years ago

It's still a nice well rounded drivers car with class, new ones makes about 500bhp too. I'd have to assume cost of ownership isn't too cheap either compared to say a c6.
Yeah, but I wouldn't be buying new if I went that route. LOL
Old 11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if you can comfortably afford a 911, then cost of ownership isnt a huge deal but those $2k brake jobs add up . personally especially if i wanted a summer driven track type car like your going after id go with a miata, or a vette. id rather the miata....seriously.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee limited for winter... once i bought my first jeep ill never go without one.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1RawTA
I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee limited for winter... once i bought my first jeep ill never go without one.
I'm waiting for the 2011's to come out next year and maybe pick up a low mileage one soon, trade in the Bonneville.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

=
Originally Posted by subarubill96
if you can comfortably afford a 911, then cost of ownership isnt a huge deal but those $2k brake jobs add up . personally especially if i wanted a summer driven track type car like your going after id go with a miata, or a vette. id rather the miata....seriously.
I'm sure car insurance and Porsche parts are pretty expensive. Dealers charge $200 for an oil change.

Haha yeah Derek, you should get a Miata, Do it! F it. Just get a Fn' C6 Z already so I can show you how to drive it
Old 11-10-2009, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MaSTi
2002- Wow, that Z and your GTP sound familiar. Have we meet? I go to the LSX events now and then and you cars seem so familiar, I just can't put a name/face to them, either way the GTP must be interestin gin the snow. Please tell me you're at least running decent snows on the GTP. I don't wanna run into you on the side of the road somewhere.
I have talked to a couple people with STI's so we might have met before. I talked to a guy with a grey STI with ground effects/decals and alot of boost a few summers ago. Where are you from?
Not to worry the GTP just got brand new BFG Traction T/A's last weekend. The car is as good as FWD can be in the snow. Here is a pic if anyone wants to see it.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_z28_m6
I have talked to a couple people with STI's so we might have met before. I talked to a guy with a grey STI with ground effects/decals and alot of boost a few summers ago. Where are you from?
Not to worry the GTP just got brand new BFG Traction T/A's last weekend. The car is as good as FWD can be in the snow. Here is a pic if anyone wants to see it.
I live in Winchendon, but go to a feew meet here and there. I've been to pretty much most meets and track events even though I don't own an LSX. LOL.

I definatly have seen you around. Both car are VERY familiar. I think I've seen you at one of the Dez meets, and possibly a meet in Sterling (forget the name of the shop), possibly a meet down in Grafton as well. I know alot of people run both the LSX and GTPs, so I'me sure I've seen you at one of those places.

I had a blue 04 STi, and now have a black 07 STi. Both were/are lowered amd on black rims.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

2002 ta
Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Just pick up a non-Sti for a winter beater and mod the crap out of that Sti to make up for your slow a$$ driving skills at the auto-x events.

....or get a Procharged C6 and keep driving your Sti.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Whelp....I just put on the Blizzaks and cancelled the meth install, so I'll be driving the STi this winter. I'll have to look into a fun car I guess.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

booo, no meth? those ***** subaru guys talk you out of it? your from winchendon, im sure youll have no trouble finding meth...
Old 11-11-2009, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

god im glad i live in FL i spend 20 years in the north east dealing with that shitty weather.

Quick Reply: Winter beaters