Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Procharged FRC on the dyno today

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010 | 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would try a little race gas and see if it stops. Normally if it is real knock it will go away or decrease. If it is the same then it's probably false knock.

Burst knock is a little different and won't show as real knock retard but it will pull timing. My turbo created a lot of burst knock but it never showed as knock retard. I turned off burst knock table in my tune.
Old 03-29-2010 | 04:41 PM
11 Second Club

Forgive me for not knowing the actual terms but the other day my buddy was having a similar issue. HPTuners would show zero knock then a day or two later it would pop up. He fixed it by doing something with the 95, 100, 105 kpa I want to say? Again I don't have HPTuners or know it but I recall seeing those numbers. They have something to do with elevation but once he figured them out the knock went away. Dunno if it will help you at all or if your following me but just throwing it out there.
Old 03-29-2010 | 09:10 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I would try a little race gas and see if it stops. Normally if it is real knock it will go away or decrease. If it is the same then it's probably false knock.

Burst knock is a little different and won't show as real knock retard but it will pull timing. My turbo created a lot of burst knock but it never showed as knock retard. I turned off burst knock table in my tune.
Thats a dam good idea!! You put some 103 in there and you get knock sensors going off you know where to start looking...
Old 03-29-2010 | 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Thats a dam good idea!! You put some 103 in there and you get knock sensors going off you know where to start looking...
I had to do this with my TA when I put the 402 in. If you put race gas in and still get knock on the dyno you can turn the sensors off for a run and look at the graph. If you are getting real knock you will have peaks and valleys in the graph not to mention you will hear the detonation if it is really pulling 8 degrees of timing. I replaced my knock sensors and it cleared up on my car.
Old 03-29-2010 | 10:57 PM
On The Tree

C5kid, I know your motor's forged now, but wouldn't turn them off..... just ask Justin
Old 03-30-2010 | 06:01 AM
12 Second Club

i would try the race fuel just to see if it goes away at least it will give you an idea of where to start....by the way your car is bad *** wish i had one its exactly what i want someday
Old 03-30-2010 | 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Zturd
Dont listen to this guy C5kid you dont know where he works and look he drives a freaking caddy!!!!!

it's a caddy that will lay the smack down on a G35 coupe though ! LOL
Old 03-30-2010 | 07:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by A_VAS
it's a caddy that will lay the smack down on a G35 coupe though ! LOL
So now you're calling out G35 coupes, eh? I bet one might give you a run for your money.
Old 03-31-2010 | 12:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Reidonly
So now you're calling out G35 coupes, eh? I bet one might give you a run for your money.
yes I have to pick on slow cars...stock 04 GTO's and G35's LOL
Old 04-01-2010 | 02:40 AM
Launching!

FWIW I have a F1A and don't have any of these issues. I run pump gas and my blower is so loud I can't put my head under the hood.

Are you sure there is no vibration in the drive system? A vibration like that a pulley mis aligned could cause something that would resemble knock. Especially if you are picking it up at the same RPM.
Old 04-01-2010 | 04:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
FWIW I have a F1A and don't have any of these issues. I run pump gas and my blower is so loud I can't put my head under the hood.

Are you sure there is no vibration in the drive system? A vibration like that a pulley mis aligned could cause something that would resemble knock. Especially if you are picking it up at the same RPM.
This is one thing i thought of, I thought MAYBE my belt was just at that sweet spot where the tensioner could be bouncing off the stop that it has built in.

So I put a tighter belt on to keep it against. NOPE.... so i checked the tensioner pulleys mounted to the motor, they are all tight....

Last night I had the car out and had a really really safe timing table in. The WOT timing was 7* and she STILL said 8-9* of knock retard. Was not audible, cause I would have def. let out if i heard something.

I am starting to lean towards bad knock sensors. There is no reason for this kinda knock.

Quick Reply: Procharged FRC on the dyno today