Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

More Detailing, 2007 STI

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default More Detailing, 2007 STI

Detail from this weekend
My close friend's 2007 Black Subaru STi, 86,000+ miles
Car suffers from HEAVY sand blasting on the front end from the highway commute almost everyday, water spots, swirls, and chemical streaks
Worked this car with my friend who I did the Silverardo with last weekend and the owner of the car
Overall the car came out good, the front end really detracts from the end result if viewed from the front, but the rest of the car looks GREAT!

Products Used
Menzerna S34A
Menzerna PO203
Menzerna PO106FA
Menzerna Power Lock
Mequiers Clay Bar Kit
Mequiers NXT 2.0
Uber 5.5 Orange Pad
Uber 5.5 Green Pad
Uber 5.5 Blue Pad
Meguiers Foam Applicator pads
Uber Microfiber towels
Misc Chrom Polish
Misc Tire Shine
Mequiers Gold Glass Car Wash
Gilmor Flowmaster II Foam Gun
P21S Total Wash
Adam's Undercarriage Spray
Microfiber Wash Mitt
Bug and Tar Sponge

Process used and becoming our go to process
Motor got a P21S soak followed by Adam's Undercarriage spray to dress
Hood got S34A w/orange, PO203 w/orange, PO203 w/green, PO106FA w/blue, and Powerlock w/black
Rest of the car PO203 w/orange, PO203 w/green, PO106FA w/blue, and Powerlock w/black
Glass got a wipe down and Powerlock hand applied

We did find some 'sticky' paint areas that took a bit longer to get the haze out and there was a spot on the hood that just wouldn't clean up well, little research and the turbo resides right under the spot and we think the paint has some heat damage and why we couldn't get it cleaned up.
Let's see what we are starting with (Linked first few, over 40 pic limit, lol)
Engine compartment
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/
Exhaust
Headlight

First bath of the detailing, I had the owner wash the car before he dropped it off, but gave it another bath because of all the pollen from sitting over night outside

Now for what the paint looks like

Big scratch

I noticed when washing the car the trunk felt like sand paper, more on this in a bit!

Chemical, oil, or something else streaks Couple on the trunk and some on each door

Remember when I said the trunk felt like sandpaper? Here is the first pass with the clay bar on a 12 x 12 area

How about a 2nd pass SAME SPOT!!!

ThirdGetting better

Sixth pass Thankfully it is almost clearmuch smoother and the gloss came up too!

Car getting another bath after clay bar

Couple more shots

End results Forgot pics of the motor but it's clean, we promise

Thanks for viewing!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks amazing. It's nice when you can get a lot out of a car. The biggest thing is upkeep. If a customer wants weekly or bi weekly washes and booster I can do that but for the most part if people keep up on it, its going to look great for a long time.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sad part is he'll just turn around and drive the crap outta it again. It's a daily driver and he drives about 130 miles a day (front end needs a paint job). He's gotta get a clear bra for his next car. I think he's gonna throw another coat of wax on it atleast.

Subaru paint is real soft, it seems to almost stick with the compound. Kinda why we went with 2 passes of 203 vs s34a, plus it hazzed easy. Paint had some cool flake in it, kinda green shimmer, but you can't really see it in the overcast lighting we had. The car has some weird angles to work too. Had to take the handle off the porter cable a few times and a smaller pad could have been usefull in spots.

Were taking a break this weekend, we'll see whats next on the plate later. Probably infinity fx35.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking an '02 'vette should be next on the list.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

i have respect for you guys who have the patientce to sit there all day and clay bar, wet sand, buff..clay bar buff. wash it AGAIN then buff some more..The STI looks fantastic by the way! I am a painter by trade so when my **** gets to scratched up i just repaint it LOL i dont even like looking at the buffer..

Nice work
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by yoshgixxer
i have respect for you guys who have the patientce to sit there all day and clay bar, wet sand, buff..clay bar buff. wash it AGAIN then buff some more..The STI looks fantastic by the way! I am a painter by trade so when my **** gets to scratched up i just repaint it LOL i dont even like looking at the buffer..

Nice work
Nice work, looks like it cleaned up pretty well. The way I look at is its a lot cheaper to get the paint looking good than getting it repainted. Sometimes a car just needs a repaint though. If people took care of their cars it would never be this much work.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Oh I agree 100% that it's cheaper for 999% of the public to have therecar detailed and restore the paint that's on it.. But for me it only cost me about $100 to repaint my whole car!! And I just make one of the prepers sand it and mask it lol
Old 06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that came out nice, who's car is that?

Thanks again man. It's just enivetable on the front end. My commute is killer on the car, so re-painting is the only cure. Even with the 3M it's be beat up, just not as fast or drastic. I'm pleased with the outcome, the only downside is all the pollen that's around. You could see the yellow multiplying by the second as soon as we pulled it out of the garage!!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

damn when are you guys doing my car? So many good detailers are local around here

Search this Thread