Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

LT Dan's New build

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT Dan's New build

Well since some Photos where leaked the other week by Yelofevr I figured it was time to start a new build thread

So since my D1 met its untimely demise after lots of consideration I decided that I was gonna make the plunge into a Turbo build. I have never tackled a project like this before let alone much fab work. So in Prep for this build I purchaced a welder and started practicing.

So here is the Plan Keeping the Forged 347 with home ported 243 heads with a 1.60 exhaust valve and stock intake valve. Vic Jr intake and Aarons Elbow. I am changing out the cam to a Turbo cam that Shawn @ Virginia Speced is Specing for me. Gonna be a slight variation of one of there shelf cams to help spool my Turbo.

Now to the fun part. The kit is gonna be a truck manifold based Front mount PT88. With a 4 inch down pipe. I got the Turbo in last week and started fabricating the hot side this weekend. I have the Cross over tacked together and almost ready for final welding. I still need to get a Waste Gate and plumb that into the crossover before I finish welding the Crossover.

I have also been busy building a new Support for the Intercooler. Cutting out the upper rad support in prep for the radiator to be stood up and just working on some things to take some weight out of the car.

There will be more to come. Not in a big hurry to get this back together. If it gets done in time to come out this fall that would be great but I am looking more to have it ready for early next year.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big f**king money thats all i have to say!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM
9 Second Club

Thats the most awful tac welding I have ever seen.... I thought I tack like crap... You make me feel good Lt.Dan.... Do yourself a favor run that stuff over Fireballs and have him do it right.... Atleast you made an honest effort... Practice makes perfect.

Congrats on the super build... Should be badass...
Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

So no 4k CZ in the near future.....or track time

Originally Posted by mikep2002
Thats the most awful tac welding I have ever seen.... I thought I tack like crap... You make me feel good Lt.Dan.... Do yourself a favor run that stuff over Fireballs and have him do it right.... Atleast you made an honest effort... Practice makes perfect.
Thats not nice.....but I was thinking the same thing
Old 08-16-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

some shielding gas would make things look alot nicer.. but ****, tacks are just that.. tacks.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

I know the welds looks like **** but in my defense they will get cleaned up and redone once I get an Argon tank next week and switch wires in the welder. I am learning a lot on this build and trust me things will look better by the end
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes get good with this so we can make the miata a turbo car !!! looks good to me
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well you know your future exwife strolls this section to see what you're up to and what others say and make sure no one is picking on you about the buying a ring thing. So this only makes things worse for you boss. Not good not good!!!! Looks like a big PIA, something thats gonna heat up, be a PIA to tune, and you will be backwards for over a year. By the time you figure it all out someone will have your ***** in a ringer and you'll be parting it out

Good luck on the build

P.S. Hope you've already put a big chunk down on the CZ ring you said you were getting. She'll be rocking the rock or glass whatever that stuff is soon enough. Per her yelling last week at Sonic.... "ASK DAN WHAT WE WERE DOING FRIDAY NITE". I'm guessing that wasnt feeling her moms *****. Not good not good
Old 08-16-2010, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zturd
Well you know your future exwife strolls this section to see what you're up to and what others say and make sure no one is picking on you about the buying a ring thing. So this only makes things worse for you boss. Not good not good!!!! Looks like a big PIA, something thats gonna heat up, be a PIA to tune, and you will be backwards for over a year. By the time you figure it all out someone will have your ***** in a ringer and you'll be parting it out

Good luck on the build

P.S. Hope you've already put a big chunk down on the CZ ring you said you were getting. She'll be rocking the rock or glass whatever that stuff is soon enough. Per her yelling last week at Sonic.... "ASK DAN WHAT WE WERE DOING FRIDAY NITE". I'm guessing that wasnt feeling her moms *****. Not good not good
That was weak...You can do better!!!

Oh and rumor has it Lt Dan gave up buying her a ring and will be forking out 2.99 for a bag of silly bands.

Last edited by Devilish34; 08-17-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Devilish34
That was weak...You can do better!!!
I'd have to agree, very dissappointing
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zturd

Good luck on the build

blah blah blah are you done whining yet?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 AM
11 Second Club

When do you think it will be completed ?

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
blah blah blah are you done whining yet?

Done??? He never stops.....
Old 08-17-2010, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Devilish34
When do you think it will be completed ?
Not sure I guess it is possibly that I could have it together for some end of the season TnT but I am focused more on by the end of Feburary
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure I guess it is possibly that I could have it sold for some end of the season TnT but I am trying to buy a Focus by the end of Feburary
Good stuff.... this obviously doesnt come as a surprise to me and the Ford Focus is a good choice!!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikep2002

Congrats on the super build... Should be badass...
what the hell are you thinking? I suck at da welding

who welded your merge?

Are you using flux core? don't buy straight argon...you need 75% argon 25% CO2 with a mig.

what are you going to build the cold side out of?

Oh...what a cute little turbo...you really need two of them I think
Old 08-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Lt Dan, might be a good idea to keep a cap over that impeller til you're done!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fireball
what the hell are you thinking? I suck at da welding

who welded your merge?

Are you using flux core? don't buy straight argon...you need 75% argon 25% CO2 with a mig.

what are you going to build the cold side out of?

Oh...what a cute little turbo...you really need two of them I think
I welded the merge it isn't 100% done I just wanted that a little stronger together that the other stuff.

Yes there is a flux core wire in there now and I will be switching wires once I get my Argon/CO2(I am just shopping around right now to find a good price. Since I need to get a tank also). I know straight Argon is for Aluminum. My cold side will be Aluminum and I will get my buddy or his Dad to weld that up for me as I have always done. Since they are only 3 miles up the road and both are welder fabricators.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by YeloFevr
Lt Dan, might be a good idea to keep a cap over that impeller til you're done!
It was just sitting in there while I snapped some pics it sits far away while I Am welding cutting and grinding.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I welded the merge it isn't 100% done I just wanted that a little stronger together that the other stuff.

Yes there is a flux core wire in there now and I will be switching wires once I get my Argon/CO2(I am just shopping around right now to find a good price. Since I need to get a tank also). I know straight Argon is for Aluminum. My cold side will be Aluminum and I will get my buddy or his Dad to weld that up for me as I have always done. Since they are only 3 miles up the road and both are welder fabricators.
its not just for aluminum...its also the universal TIG gas...can weld anything with 100% argon with a TIG

I dunno if you get down to baltimore much, but I bought my MIG bottle outright from weld world (~$200something IIRC) and their gas is fair priced...a bottle of mig gas lasts for damn near forever

I've had my MIG for 3 years and just now need a bottle refilled

http://www.weldworld.us/

I rent my TIG bottle from a local weld store...
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

lol..Damn...and most of these comments are coming from guys you would call your "friends" Dan..lol.

its looking good man...keep up the good work.cant wait to see the end result.

But im with Fireball...you need a Bigger turbo.....or maybe 2 of those.