Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Moving to Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Moving to Virginia

So I'm about to pick up a new job and will be moving to the Shenandoah Valley area from Florida. I'm still waiting for a confirmation on the job but if all goes well then I will be making the move around the first. So I've got a few questions for you guys.

First off I've got an 02 T/A with pacesetter race headers and an ORY which I could get away with here because we don't have any emissions testing however I know there is there and other than the obvious cats and egr I don't know what all I would need to make it pass emissions. If it's not really gonna be worth it then I'm just gonna end up leaving it here with some family and have them drive it every now and then.

Second, what is the F-body crowd like up there? Any weekly/monthly meets?

Third, where is the nearst 1/4 mile track from Shenandoah Valley?

Thanks for the help in advanced guys.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where are you moving to in the Valley? I'm originially from Harrisonburg and moving to Roanoke next month. The closest 1/4 mile tracks are in Richmond and Mason Dixon Md. Both are about a two hour drive. There aren't any Fbody's in the Valley that I know of. If you make the trip to Richmond there are some nasty cars running around but that's about it.

I think they still just do a visual inspection in Va.

Good luck with your job.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

I'll be in Woodstock living with family for a little while till I can save up some money which I will then be moving to the Fairfax or around that area.

Does anyone know how strict VA is about not having a radar detector? I know it's gonna be hell without my V1 by my side.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by f-bodyfanatic
I'll be in Woodstock living with family for a little while till I can save up some money which I will then be moving to the Fairfax or around that area.

Does anyone know how strict VA is about not having a radar detector? I know it's gonna be hell without my V1 by my side.
I think Northern Va is pretty strict on emissions but I'm not sure.

Radar dectectors are a big no no in Va. I had a buddy that was a cop in Va when I lived there 5 years ago and he said they would write you a big fine and take radar dectector from you. He said he had heard of other cops actually being real dicks and smashing it on the road in front of you. Hopefully things have changed but I doubt it. Va is very strict on speeding.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2ktransam
I think Northern Va is pretty strict on emissions but I'm not sure.

Radar dectectors are a big no no in Va. I had a buddy that was a cop in Va when I lived there 5 years ago and he said they would write you a big fine and take radar dectector from you. He said he had heard of other cops actually being real dicks and smashing it on the road in front of you. Hopefully things have changed but I doubt it. Va is very strict on speeding.
Crap. I'm really gonna miss my V1 . Even now, if I'm driving in someone elses car and don't have it with me I feel so alone and vulnerable. I guess I shouldn't have grown too attached to it in the first place
Old 09-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Keep that thing in the hatch. VA troopers don't take lightly when they find one.

Don't believe Shenandoah county requires emissions but Fairfax is pretty strict on emissions and modified exhaust.
you don't have to worry about egr due to the year of your car. Keep your car garaged in the valley when asked on registration and you should be able to get by without emissions. Your ory will not pass the visual inspection suggest some bullets. This should also help with the noise police in Fairfax when they pull you for exhaust and look under the car for cats.

Don't know to much about whats going on in the valley but there's a good following of fbodies in the NOVA area. The F-bodyhideout.com has monthly meets in the area and frequent MIR for some track meets.

Last edited by LOUDMAN; 09-13-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

loudman pretty much summed it up...there is no emissions in the valley but there is emissions here in northern va however all they do is plug into your obd port and check for codes so it isn't hard to pass it. If they happen to do a visual check u will need cats however the funny thing alot of times they dont check. When i had my other car which had h/c and dumped true duals they never looked under the car but for some reason when i pulled in with my current car which has bolt ons and the factory slp dual/dual exhaust they were looking all underneath it for cats so u never know. Also there are lots of us in northern va and richmond area
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Well as far as noise goes I should be golden with that because I think I have one of the quietest not stock LS1s I've ever heard but that's what I have a cutout for.

That's good to know about emissions, however do you know if there is anything special for people getting their cars registered for the first time? Like if I have to get a full inspection or anything along those lines? Should I just throw some cats on there to make it pleasing to the eye?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LOUDMAN
Keep that thing in the hatch. VA troopers don't take lightly when they find one.

Don't believe Shenandoah county requires emissions but Fairfax is pretty strict on emissions and modified exhaust.
you don't have to worry about egr due to the year of your car. Keep your car garaged in the valley when asked on registration and you should be able to get by without emissions. Your ory will not pass the visual inspection suggest some bullets. This should also help with the noise police in Fairfax when they pull you for exhaust and look under the car for cats.

Don't know to much about whats going on in the valley but there's a good following of fbodies in the NOVA area. The F-bodyhideout.com has monthly meets in the area and frequent MIR for some track meets.
Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
loudman pretty much summed it up...there is no emissions in the valley but there is emissions here in northern va however all they do is plug into your obd port and check for codes so it isn't hard to pass it. If they happen to do a visual check u will need cats however the funny thing alot of times they dont check. When i had my other car which had h/c and dumped true duals they never looked under the car but for some reason when i pulled in with my current car which has bolt ons and the factory slp dual/dual exhaust they were looking all underneath it for cats so u never know. Also there are lots of us in northern va and richmond area
^^^^^Thats all you have to do to get a around emission testing. I live in Stafford and I have my car garge in Spotsluvaina,Va where they have no emissions. f-bodyhideout is having a track meet sept,26th at MIR. I didnt have to do anything special when bought a truck with a out of state tittle. I just had to go to dmv and get a tittle for it in Virginia.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Teching In

I'm already here in Virginia. Just moved here in April. Hawaii registraion runs out this month and I'm trying to find a place that will pass me. I've got all the typical, AIR, EGR, and ORY. My tint is way beyond illegal, but I'm just going to pull that off. Is the Norfolk area all that hard to pass? Do they ALWAYS plug into the OBD-2? Or is that just up in Norther VA?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM
On The Tree

I know this thread is a month old now but I just figured I'd update it.

I did end up getting the job and I moved up here on Tuesday. I'm living with some family right now and just using their car to get around as the T/A is sitting under a car cover in my parents garage. I'm trying to save up some money so that I can bring it up here and make it pass emissions testing if I do in fact have to do that.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Banned

welcome to VA. I am also from Florida (Ocala) but have lived in Northern VA since February. I have been kicked out of Fredericksburg because my car was too loud. I also run my V1, and anytime im sitting at a light and see a cop i pull it down. Mine is attached to the rear view mirror and takes a second to pull off. Since ive been here i have gotten 2 speeding tickets in my Silverado, and 0 in my Camaro.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

MY car is loud and I have never been messed with any cops in Fredericksburg,va..Thats where I live and I do drive my car and I drive it like I stole it most of the time.You must have came across the wrong cop having a bad day or something..
Old 10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Banned

^ya i agree. though the cop wasn't a dick about it. I think it helped i have an out of state license too. But i wasnt punching it or anything, just cruising and idling. So maybe it was just a bad day.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Ya must of been. There are quite a few loud LS1s and newer mustangs running around here that don't get messed with..
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 PM
11 Second Club

I know this thread is a month old now but I just figured I'd update it.

I did end up getting the job and I moved up here on Tuesday. I'm living with some family right now and just using their car to get around as the T/A is sitting under a car cover in my parents garage. I'm trying to save up some money so that I can bring it up here and make it pass emissions testing if I do in fact have to do that.
all you gotta do is register it in a county that don't require emissions. Thats what I did. I live in South Stafford and I got my car garage jeridtion in spotsy,Va..
Old 10-25-2010, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

So from what I was able to gather online it looks like only the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford have emissions testing. If this is the case then I should be fine in Shenandoah county should I not? Can anyone make this a little more clear?

Also I know this probably doesn't matter as much and I'm sure most of you probably have DDs but I will have to use my T/A as a DD for the most part (unless it's snowing) and I need some new tires. Anyone have a suggestion as to what kind to get? Being from Florida I'm used to just buying ultra high performance summer tires and being fine all year round. Any suggestions? And something that's kind of on the cheap or cheapish
Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah u are fine u don't have to do emissions as far as tires back when I drove my old camaro every day I had some all season yokohama tires that worked pretty well
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Inspection

Well as far as noise goes I should be golden with that because I think I have one of the quietest not stock LS1s I've ever heard but that's what I have a cutout for.

That's good to know about emissions, however do you know if there is anything special for people getting their cars registered for the first time? Like if I have to get a full inspection or anything along those lines? Should I just throw some cats on there to make it pleasing to the eye?
Well as far as regulations go their is no state law on noise for inspection as long as their is a muffler, but do a search on some locall Nothern Va places that are into racing and specifically the Fbody cars and cluds and take it their google Broadview Auto in Warrenton their big on the fbodys and local clubs.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

I moved from Mi back in july and I'm in culpeper. The inspection guy questioned the pacesetter hiflow cats on my car but passed me. MIR is an awesome track.