Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Headers for an Escalade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headers for an Escalade?

Ok so no one really even goes over to Performance Trucks so I figured id post here. Anyone ever put headers on an Escalade EXT and if so what brand would you guys recommend? Its funny none of the manufacturers really specifically call out headers for a 2002-2006 escalade so I believe Kooks, ARH, Dynatech Supermaxx, and I believe the OBX ebay headers will fit too. I like the Kooks and ARH systems but im looking at $1300+ for the headers and Y-pipe, which is a bit pricey. Anyone know of another brand like Pacesetter that makes headers for an Escalade EXT?

Thanks!

Adam
Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Ok so no one really even goes over to Performance Trucks so I figured id post here. Anyone ever put headers on an Escalade EXT and if so what brand would you guys recommend? Its funny none of the manufacturers really specifically call out headers for a 2002-2006 escalade so I believe Kooks, ARH, Dynatech Supermaxx, and I believe the OBX ebay headers will fit too. I like the Kooks and ARH systems but im looking at $1300+ for the headers and Y-pipe, which is a bit pricey. Anyone know of another brand like Pacesetter that makes headers for an Escalade EXT?

Thanks!

Adam
I have a set of pacesetters on my 02 silverado. There really isn't much different from a Chevy to a Caddy that a set of headers wouldn't fit on the Caddy if they fit on the Chevy. Just look for something that says it will fit an Avalanche should fit your EXT
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Internet Mechanic

That is a darn good question....
Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Dschmittie, thats what I was hoping the answer would be. I like the Pacesetters, had them on my old Z28 and bang for the buck you couldnt beat them. I have seen a bunch of people using the OBX headers but it just seems that their is such a variation in production (i.e. they fit great for some people but not others) that i want to avoid them if possible. Im considering going some sort of FI in the future with either a Magnacharger or maybe have Don build a turbo kit if he has the time, so I dont want to throw out $1300+ for headers if I may be getting rid of them down the road if I go turbo. I loved the sound of my cammed Z28 so im thinking maybe a smaller cam for the time being like a 218/220 or 220/224 with around .560ish/.560ish lift or so on a 115 lsa for a little extra power (and for the sound) and the headers. I want to keep the stock stall for the time being as well so im kind of limited as to the size of the cam. Some people have thrown a TR228 and say it works on the stock stall but I am skeptical. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Adam
Old 03-31-2011, 10:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ARH, the other 2 rust and rot out.

Pacesetter and OBX should come with a sledgehammer for modifications and extra plug wires because they burn all the time.

The ussual -get what you pay for.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have dynatechs on my avalanche. Only difference between the ext and the avalanche is the y pipe, you need it for the 6.0
And on a side note forget about that magnacharger. Procharger, or turbo is the way to go.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Especially on a daily driver get the ARH or Kooks, like Don says they rust out.

I got Jet Hot headers and from the merge collectors back it looks like total ***. And It's only a fair weather car with maybe 40k on the headers....
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

The only time I have seen coated headers last is zero wet weather driving or being outside and car is parked in a temp controlled garage. But even then....
Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the comments guys! Yea I think I may have to opt for the ARH or Kooks. Don, could you quote me on:

Cam and Header install: Cam can be whatever you think would work well on a stock converter and then either ARH or Kooks (I can purchase them as well if that makes more sense).

Procharger: PS1C or DS1c, whichever you recommend, installed with whatever supporting mods you think would be needed, i.e. headers, fueling if the kit doesnt come with it, any valvetrain upgrades such as dual springs, etc

Custom Turbo Kit: Probably would want something simple like a flipped truck manifold kit (not sure if you would be able to use the stock 6.0 escalde ext mani's?) then like a MP-70 or so turbo or whatever you would recommend, installed plus any supporting mods.

Just trying to get an idea of where I want to go with the truck and how quickly. I may opt for a cam/header install to start with as I love the sound of a cammed LSx vehicle. Plus it would give me a little more power, and if I went procharger id already have a decent FI cam and headers on the truck. Not sure if I want to go full blown FI yet, especially if its triple, quadruple, or more for the setup.

Thanks!

Adam
Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Don't know why your wrapped into a Cam for a truck of that size.Any decent Cam needs a good torque converter.

Turbo = big $$$$,loud, and possible to overboost.

Magnacharger 2300 and headers =DONE.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Don't know why your wrapped into a Cam for a truck of that size.Any decent Cam needs a good torque converter.

Turbo = big $$$$,loud, and possible to overboost.

Magnacharger 2300 and headers =DONE.

Hahaha I know I know but I love the sound of a cammed LS vehicle! So ballpark what would a Maggie2300 kit, fuel, headers, tune, and anything else I need cost?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JJsnowking
And on a side note forget about that magnacharger. Procharger, or turbo is the way to go.
On a car, sure. On a 6,000lb truck? Couldn't disagree more, unless you want to throw a big stall convertor on it and make it drive like a big heavy car?

For a truck that will be used/driven like a truck and not a max-effort street/strip car, a positive displacement is the way to go.

Guess it just depends on your goals. I want to go fast, that's what the T/A or the bike is for. Takes a lot less to make a 3500lb car go fast.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

JJsnowkings Avalanche makes 540rwhp (210rwhp stock) (5.3L)and runs a good yank converter.So the procharger works perfect for that combo.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

And I use it every day, as a TRUCK.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
JJsnowkings Avalanche makes 540rwhp (210rwhp stock) (5.3L)and runs a good yank converter.So the procharger works perfect for that combo.
I had no doubt he makes lots of peak power, but what's the torque curve look like below 3000-3500rpm? How hot is the output of the transmission when pulling a hill below the (~55mph IIRC) point of TC lockup with a 6k trailer in tow (because of the converter)? That's the kind of things people need to keep in mind for a truck, if they want to tow with it.

That's what I meant by "depends on your goals" - I'm sure it's a hoot to drive, but it sounds to me like more of a "Sport truck" at this point, which very well may be OP's goal for the Escalade.

JJ shouldn't get all worked up, I'm just stating an opposing viewpoint.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Don, sorry but again could you shoot me a quote for what you would recommned for a Maggie build?

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Guess you can call it a sporty work truck. I don't tow with it, if I were towing I would of gotten a 3/4 ton silverado with a duramax.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

JJ, how much boost are you running, 12psi? Also is that on the stock bottom end 5.3?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Hey Don, sorry but again could you shoot me a quote for what you would recommned for a Maggie build?

Thanks!

You'll have to e-mail the shop so I don't forget. Include the vin# if you can.

JJ's truck runs 16lbs on the stock shortblock/heads (cam only) and had been for years. He beats up on poor Mustang owners.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Don, sure will do. 16psi stock bottom end? Wow thats crazy glad to hear the engine can take that! Im probably only going to be looking for around 7-8 psi. Car is not a daily driver during the summer but will be used pretty heavily during the winter so dont want to go too crazy and blow the thing up haha.

Quick Reply: Headers for an Escalade?