Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Domestic Showdown?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011 | 09:42 PM
Teching In

Default Domestic Showdown?

The Mid-Atlantic Domestics are considering a track rental at either Capitol or Mason Dixon to host a local event. The event would be a showdown of the domestics with a Outlaw class (run what you brung, quick 8 car field), street tires class (run what you brung, quick 8 field), 11.50 index (16 car field), 12.50 index (16 car field), and then a bracket class. There would also be a T&T class for those who want to run but not for competition. These classes would be dependent on support for them. There would be trophies available for the winners. All proceeds would go towards charity, mostly St. Judes or the Kennedy Krager Institute.

What we are looking for is support. We would need at least a 50 car turnout to make this happen and that's if a good bit of them were willing to run in the classes. There would be tailgating with food at the track as well. We are looking around all the local boards for support for this so who would be interested? The cost wouldn't be more than $100 per driver and it would be an all day event with qualifying and eliminations.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:37 AM
9 Second Club

I'd be down for it, depending on when you were thinking.
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

far from me bu the 12.50 index sounds appealing
Old 04-18-2011 | 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

street tire as in not drag radials?

do it at capitol and id be interested...mason dixon is far
Old 04-18-2011 | 05:00 PM
Teching In

The plans are tentative. We are more or less looking to see if this is something people would like to do and if so, go ahead and discuss some dates for it. The classes and tracks are all tentative too and subject to change. Just more or less looking for who would be interested in an event like this. Once we get enough support for it, we could discuss where, when, and how. For a rough estimate though, it would probably be in November, after all the major racing has happened for the season.

Drag radials would be in the street category if we decide to have a street category. We might just do an Outlaw class (run what you brung, regardless of tire), a 12.50 index (since it's the median for most bolt-on cars), a bracket class, and then T&T.
Old 04-18-2011 | 09:19 PM
Teching In

We're getting a good response from this from various boards. Looks like getting at least 50 cars wouldn't be too hard.

Here are the classes that everyone is agreeing on...

Outlaw Class (.400 pro tree, no limitations, run what you brung, 8 or 16 car field depending on turnout)
Street Class (.500 pro tree, DOT radial tires only, OEM glass and fenders, OEM style suspension, 8 or 16 car field depending on turnout)
12.50 Index Class (.500 pro tree, no sandbagging, 8 or 16 car field depending on turnout)
E.T. Bracket Class (.500 full tree, bracket racing, open to everyone)
Test & Tune (for those who don't want to compete but just run)

If you fail to qualify for the outlaw, street, or 12.50 index classes, then you may run in the bracket class or test & tune for the rest of the day.
If you qualify for any class but get eliminated, you may run in test & tune the rest of the day.
No sandbagging is allowed. Anyone caught sandbagging will be disqualified.

There will be trophies and possibly cash prizes if we get enough turnout. Currently, we're getting pretty good support for this from various GM, Ford, and Mopar forums so if you know someone who might be interested, spread the word out.

Also, there will be a paypal account setup with incentives to prepay for the event such as discounts on entrance fee. We will need to just set up a date and which track to rent out for the event. We are currently planning for November.
Old 04-19-2011 | 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

get it a bit more organized, find event sponsors to gurantee big payouts and place it the weekend before or after the domestics vs. imports world cup race and i think it would be a hit. classes sound perfect. if u can get the payouts higher and entry fee lower with good sponsors i think it would be great!

i love the idea of u dont qualfy in the head sup catagories u can still race all day in bracket or TT. good stratagey its very attracive to the weekend warrior.

setting the date and location both close to MIR and the date of the WCF would be pivotal in huge car counts with quality cars.
Old 04-19-2011 | 12:40 AM
Teching In

I would love to do it halloween weekend, which is the weekend prior to I vs D WCF. I'm going to bet asking our club sponsors about this as well and see if they are willing to come on board.
Old 04-19-2011 | 01:09 AM
11 Second Club

if it were me, i would create either a powerpoint or a small pathlete of what the event and you guys as a whole have to offer potential sponsors. also i would put in different types of sponsor levels (depending on how much they donate) and with these levels will come various amounts of signs and viewing from the audience and racers etc. being organized and professional is the key to gaining sponsors for an event like this one. do your homework put the time and effort in and it will be a success. sponsors will be attracted to something like that, they wont wanna put their name out their if it seems like a lack luster event ran by a few kids on a local forum. (no offense to you or anyone else) just trying to say the more professional and organized u are about the process the more likely it will be a huge success. and haloween weekend right b4 the WCF would be a perfect date imo.

edit: i would also send the powerpoint or pathlete to as many companies in the area and online (domestic performance related) as possible. the more u get it out their the more of a chance u will have sponsors. plus sending a powerpoint thru e-mail is free, as well as making it so its a no brainer imo.
Old 04-19-2011 | 05:38 AM
11 Second Club

no sandbagging - while having a bracket and index class?
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

I will do it
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I will do it
Count me in.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:29 AM
Teching In

Why not make it all heads up index. You can come up with the index based on what most people who are coming want. I think most people enjoy heads up racing.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Its good to have both imo
Old 04-19-2011 | 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
no sandbagging - while having a bracket and index class?
By this I mean no coming out in a 10 or 11 second car and just feathering the throttle down the track to qualify in the 12.50. I really only meant that for the index class. Bracket racing is every man for himself really.

Originally Posted by Solrac
Why not make it all heads up index. You can come up with the index based on what most people who are coming want. I think most people enjoy heads up racing.
Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
Its good to have both imo
I agree. It opens the racing to a broader range of racers. Plus, having the bracket class there for someone to run should they not qualify in one of the other classes keeps them in some sort of competition.
Old 04-19-2011 | 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
if it were me, i would create either a powerpoint or a small pathlete of what the event and you guys as a whole have to offer potential sponsors. also i would put in different types of sponsor levels (depending on how much they donate) and with these levels will come various amounts of signs and viewing from the audience and racers etc. being organized and professional is the key to gaining sponsors for an event like this one. do your homework put the time and effort in and it will be a success. sponsors will be attracted to something like that, they wont wanna put their name out their if it seems like a lack luster event ran by a few kids on a local forum. (no offense to you or anyone else) just trying to say the more professional and organized u are about the process the more likely it will be a huge success. and haloween weekend right b4 the WCF would be a perfect date imo.

edit: i would also send the powerpoint or pathlete to as many companies in the area and online (domestic performance related) as possible. the more u get it out their the more of a chance u will have sponsors. plus sending a powerpoint thru e-mail is free, as well as making it so its a no brainer imo.
I like your ideas. I will put something together one day this week.
Old 04-19-2011 | 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Heads up / Index that's the way to go.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:19 PM
Teching In

capitol
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ONESLOWZO
capitol
I would love too but they want way too much to rent the track. They want $8,000 + 10% of gate total for one 8 hour day. MIR is even cheaper and mason dixon and cecil are much cheaper.
Old 04-20-2011 | 08:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smithboy76908
I would love too but they want way too much to rent the track. They want $8,000 + 10% of gate total for one 8 hour day. MIR is even cheaper and mason dixon and cecil are much cheaper.
Cecil would be good.