Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Md emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Md emissions

hey all,

so i moved down to MD last august, and in the first week recked my camaro long story short, the car has been been up in jersey since and i'm not beginning to get it back to road ready.

i have LT/ORY, and really do not wish to put the stock exhuast back on get the car registered down here. If i get the car tuned properly with the codes wiped, am i in the clear for inspection? not sure how many guys are running no cats, if they check under the car visually, etc.

thanks guys.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

I think they are "supposed" to do a visual check, but frankly it depends on the tech that day. I have cats built into my exhaust and when I pulled my car into the inspection bay, the guy didnt check. He said man that sounds like a race car. My car made the whole place smell like exhaust fumes, yet he never checked. But I did see another tech a few bays down checking a newer Ford Explorer for cats, so who knows. But MD law requires CAT's on modern vehicles.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

No codes and cats = pass
No codes and no cats = depends on the tech

My G8 passed a couple of months ago....He walked around the car with a mirror
but never really looked for cats.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

I have LT/ORY, they did a visual inspection and I passed.

When I took my wife's Mustang GT and they guy was telling me that he would remove the cats and install LT's etc.

Just hope you get either someone who has no clue what they are looking for or just don't care.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by edmanet
No codes and cats = pass
No codes and no cats = depends on the tech
If you're OBD2....

my 95 is OBD1 and has to pass sniffer test as well as visual cat inspection.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by defenestrate
hey all,

so i moved down to MD last august, and in the first week recked my camaro long story short, the car has been been up in jersey since and i'm not beginning to get it back to road ready.

i have LT/ORY, and really do not wish to put the stock exhuast back on get the car registered down here. If i get the car tuned properly with the codes wiped, am i in the clear for inspection? not sure how many guys are running no cats, if they check under the car visually, etc.

thanks guys.
Unless I am misunderstanding something here, moving here from another state, the car will not only have to pass Emissions Testing at some point, but first, and more importantly, it will also have to pass Maryland State Safety Inspection to be registered in Maryland. Once the car has been state inspected and passed, then you'd be able to tag the car here, and you'll get an emissions test notice usually shortly thereafter.

Legally speaking, the car cannot and will not ever pass Maryland State Safety Inspection without catalytic converters and whatever other emissions equipment the car came with when brand new. This state inspection is only done once, but it is MUCH more thorough than any state that does them annually or periodically.

You may luck out and find a crooked inspector to "let the exhaust slide", but those guys are few and far between since the fine for them doing that (and getting caught) can be several thousand dollars and possible jail time.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

^ what he said. The first inspection is a overall ans safety inspection(once had mine fail due to bad suspension bushings). Other than that though its one a emissions check every two years. And the emissions is a simple OBD2 check(no codes and you pass).
Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I moved to MD about 7 years ago, I found a place in Pasadena that was not real "picky" I guess you could say. Anyway, I passed that fine and lived there for two years and never had to do an emmissions check. I am not sure why, but I was not arguing LOl.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM

some counties are not subjust to the 2 year emissions... But pretty sure pasadena is.

But yeah it depends on the guy.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Unless I am misunderstanding something here, moving here from another state, the car will not only have to pass Emissions Testing at some point, but first, and more importantly, it will also have to pass Maryland State Safety Inspection to be registered in Maryland. Once the car has been state inspected and passed, then you'd be able to tag the car here, and you'll get an emissions test notice usually shortly thereafter.

Legally speaking, the car cannot and will not ever pass Maryland State Safety Inspection without catalytic converters and whatever other emissions equipment the car came with when brand new. This state inspection is only done once, but it is MUCH more thorough than any state that does them annually or periodically.

You may luck out and find a crooked inspector to "let the exhaust slide", but those guys are few and far between since the fine for them doing that (and getting caught) can be several thousand dollars and possible jail time.

Couldn't have said it any better. And yes finding people to overlook stuff is next to impossible because they risk a huge fine, losing there license, and most own the businesses and they can be shut down.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Knowing people goes a LONG LONG distance. But in pretty much any case, anything safety related is never gonna make it through. But the fines and crack down by officials have made it impossible to even get tint through much less illegal exhausts. Its normally easier to put it to stock and put it back after.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

so i guess air bags are mandatory since it came with them? was going to just replace it with an aftermarket wheel...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 AM

yes. all stock saftey and emissions contol devices have to be in place. But once again this is only on the first inspection. After that as long as you have no warrning lights and or check engine lights(ABS/Airbag/CEL) you pass every year.

My previous cars both ended up catless and still passed. THough I am sure OBD3 is going to only make that process much much much harder.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

what a pisser about the emissions equipment- i was going to replace LT/ORY with the BBK kit, but maybe i'll go with the shorties since they accept the stock equipment and are catted...
Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just be glad you dont have to smog in CA...it sucks!
Old 05-06-2011, 11:20 AM

california kinda blows for anything fun.. I mean cars(more or less illegal to drive anything worth while) and now they are trying to get rid of airsoft. And while not as much fun as cars... still why be SOOO ****.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take it to a gas station and roll the dice. Some state inspectors may not notice that some of the emissions equipment is missing or may not care. Missing emissions equipment is not going to affect safety aspects but it is on the checklist of items.

I have had a few issues in the past with the state inspectors to get my Camaro's passed. A few years back my convertible had two different size wheels (9.5X17 front and 11X18 rear) and a MD State Trooper showed up while my car was on the lift. He told the inspector to fail the car because the wheels did not match the sticker in the door jamb and that someone recently had a deadly accident with two different size wheels. After discussing with the shop they passed me since I told them I wasn't going to sell the car to anyone and that the car had so many miles on it, clearly not a safety concern. Another time I found that a Firebird I was going to purchase was an inch too low since the front lights were below the required height.

It really depends on the inspector and it is a game of chance. I just registered a Camaro with LTs, ORY, !EGR, !AIR. All codes were tuned out and passed the VEIP OBDII emissions plug in test which takes place about a month or two after the car is registered in the state.

Quick Reply: Md emissions