Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

2 stripped bolts, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 stripped bolts, need advice

Well I been going to the gym lately, often so let me start there.

All joking aside now lol

Dumbass me found a great way to strip 2 bolts today doing the heads cam install

1 is the top center bolt for the cam retaining plate, the other a lifter tray bolt.

The lifter tray bolt I used another bolt which was just about equal length, just a HAIR longer, and it torque to the 8 ft/lb. No problem. Checked clearance with the bolt head, and it's actually a little shorter. Lockited that one, I think were good to go, no?

The other that scares me.

The top center bolt for the cam retaining plate. I went to torque to 18 ft/lb and this one just spun. Anyways, I checked the threads, there aren't many remaining. It'll torque to 14, but not to 18, won't go any further. Obviously, leaving this bolt out is not an option because there is the seal there. I read you can actually lose oil pressure if not correct torque here. Now is my only opinion to helicoil this? I've read on here a few people have had this problem, but my such luck, or should I say dumbass fault idk.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
Well I been going to the gym lately, often so let me start there.

All joking aside now lol

Dumbass me found a great way to strip 2 bolts today doing the heads cam install

1 is the top center bolt for the cam retaining plate, the other a lifter tray bolt.

The lifter tray bolt I used another bolt which was just about equal length, just a HAIR longer, and it torque to the 8 ft/lb. No problem. Checked clearance with the bolt head, and it's actually a little shorter. Lockited that one, I think were good to go, no?

The other that scares me.

The top center bolt for the cam retaining plate. I went to torque to 18 ft/lb and this one just spun. Anyways, I checked the threads, there aren't many remaining. It'll torque to 14, but not to 18, won't go any further. Obviously, leaving this bolt out is not an option because there is the seal there. I read you can actually lose oil pressure if not correct torque here. Now is my only opinion to helicoil this? I've read on here a few people have had this problem, but my such luck, or should I say dumbass fault idk.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Let me start by saying, I have no experience with the bolts you are talking about. However, I do unfortunately have experience with rounded off bolt heads (is that what you are talking about, or do you mean stripping the threads?) If you meant rounding off the head of the bolt, if there is any flat surfaces that still resemble the original bolt's head (lol) I HIGHLY recommend these sockets that Sears sells called Grip-Tite [http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...ip-tite&vName=]. I used them after trying about 10 other things to get a bolt off that I rounded when trying to take off my stock h-pipe. (Just so you know, its above the starter in such an odd angle you MUST use a swivel and an assortment of extensions just to get at it.) I found these sockets and it knocked the bolt out NO PROBLEMS - FIRST TRY! Sorry if I sound like i'm a salesman for them (i'm not) I just like to promote products that worked great for me. Hopefully this helps with the bolts (if they are in fact rounded off), if not then sorry for the waste of time. Sorry I also can't comment on the torquing and the helicoil, as I have no experience with a heads/cam swap OR helicoils...Good luck!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a helicoil. they work really well and aren't hard to do. Just take you time when runnign a tap threw aluminum cause they can gunk up in aluminum and then it can trash the hole
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

^^^^ agreed.

put a good dab of grease around the hole that your tapping. this will catch any shavings and save you some headache. make sure you get as much of those shavings cleaned up as possible.

AutoZone has heli-coli kits for like $15, gives you the proper tap size and heli-coil tool.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

have someone who knows what there doing come fix them...lol
Old 06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

make sure you have your head bolt holes cleaned out well to if you havent already