Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Garage floor paint questions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Garage floor paint questions??

What have you guys used and how well did it hold up?

I want to do my garage soon but not sure what product to use. The garage is a few years old so there has been some oil spilled on it.
How did you take care of the oil stains?

Any other info would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive done a few linex poly-aspartic floor coatings and it is 10x better than your typical epoxy floor coating. No "hot tire marks", smearing, impressions, etc.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to ask my brother but as long as the surface is properly prepped and cleaned most floor covering will stick. We had a HUGE transmission fluid spill/stain on our garage and been there for a year, cleaned, and got everything we could out of it and he painted. Never flaked or chipped and its been about 2 years ago and going strong.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lets see some pics, sorry to hijack but im looking to do the same thing
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

original color chips are the best. I researched for a year before I landed on a company. They even have step by step videos on their site.
Attached Thumbnails Garage floor paint questions??-after.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used Wolverine when I did my addition.. On old concrete you NEED to grind it or clean it super good, then acid etch it (need to acid on new concrete also)... needs to be like 80-100 grit sandpaper. Then a 100% solids epoxy is best to use IMO... I cleared over the flakes as well and added traction grit.
Attached Thumbnails Garage floor paint questions??-drain.jpg   Garage floor paint questions??-lifts_8_13.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used the stuff that you just get from home depot or lowes, i forgot the name but we did my garage floor that was over 15 years old and not a day went by it didnt have a car dripping oil on the floor but just fallowed the directions of wash the floor, then use an acid cleaner, give a day or so to dry then paint it and put chips down and for the four years i was there after we painted it the stuff held up perfectly. no chips massive gashes or scratches or anything. also YOU WILL BuST YOUR *** IF THE FLOOR IS DAMP OR WET WITH WATER no matter how many chips are down.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did my parent's garage with UCoat It Epoxy. Prep is key...it's holding up great could probably take a chisel to it and it wouldn't flake. I plan on using the same stuff in my garage...not sure where i will put everything while doing the floor that is the problem. Should have done it before i moved everything in but no time then.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/
This were I have found tons of good garage info.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Epoxy garage floor coating is the most durable and longest lasting.It is easy to apply and gives clean and fresh look to your garage. You will be very pleased with the results.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a company come in and doa proffession epoxy floor coating, they ground the floor with a shot blaster and then did a 3 layer coating. It is awesome, the only thing that can hurt it is heat, so no welding on it. I did get the smoother product, ti looks better, but is slipery when there is oil or coolant down, they recommended a coating with a grit in it for traction, and they were right, I was wrong
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BillS
I had a company come in and doa proffession epoxy floor coating, they ground the floor with a shot blaster and then did a 3 layer coating. It is awesome, the only thing that can hurt it is heat, so no welding on it. I did get the smoother product, ti looks better, but is slipery when there is oil or coolant down, they recommended a coating with a grit in it for traction, and they were right, I was wrong
Bill,
Do you have the name of the company that did the work? Also do you know what brand product the used?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had slidelok do my 40x50... wasnt cheap, but very well worth it.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been looking for that name for someone else, I cant find the paperwork. It was something like NH floor coatins or garage floor coating of new Hampshire. I do remember that they were from NH