Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Planning trip to NYC New Year's 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Planning trip to NYC New Year's 2012

I plan on flying in on 12-31-11 and staying for about a week. I've been looking on airbnb for a vacation rental. I'm also considering watching the fireworks from Central Park (maybe from Belvedere Castle) or Roosevelt Park (Penny Park). I'd rather not be crammed in Times Square. I'm going to buy the 7-Day Unlimited MetroCard and the New York Pass card. What do you guys think? Any suggestions?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live 15 mins outside the city and have never done times square on new years and never plan to lol. WAYYYY too many people. Other than that, you cant go wrong. Just plan on spending a lot of money. The city is expensive. If you can figure out the subways, they are a good source of transportation. Otherwise you'll be spending a lot on cab rides. I have no idea what the new york pass card is though..
Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

I just stayed at the sheraton times square for a 3 day weekend with my wife for our 10th anniversary in May. Saw a broadway show and had some very good food there. Take the bus tour of the city, open top bus, great way to see the sites, well worth it. It is a very expensive place, spent around $450/night for the room, everything is pretty pricey there. It was a good time though.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if anyone here on Tech would be interested in renting a room for a week.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Just did this exact same thing this past year. We arrived in NYC on Christmas day right before the freaking snow storm. Will not do Times Square on New Years Eve ever again, although it wasn't too bad. One week is not enough, i want to head back out there again some day. We did this bus tour to Niagara falls and Boston which was also really cool. you will definitely have a good time. Let me know if you have any questions and I will see what I can remember.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nukeemall454
Just did this exact same thing this past year. We arrived in NYC on Christmas day right before the freaking snow storm. Will not do Times Square on New Years Eve ever again, although it wasn't too bad. One week is not enough, i want to head back out there again some day. We did this bus tour to Niagara falls and Boston which was also really cool. you will definitely have a good time. Let me know if you have any questions and I will see what I can remember.
Haha. Nice. I'm thinking about going to Central Park or one of the other smaller parks and watch the fireworks when midnight rolls around. I don't care to go to Times Square at that time.

I also found these passes that I might get, too.

http://www.newyorkpass.com/
or
http://www.citypass.com/new-york

And this for getting around NYC.

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm#unlimited
Old 08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Launching!

We only used the unlimited pass Metro-card, because it becomes a pain real quick buying those damn cards every time you want to board the subway. Best thing I can probably tell you is to get familiar with subway system and learn how it gets you to and around the place your staying at. The first night we got of on this really creepy and dead looking stop. Made for a nice little adventure.