Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

**UPDATE** LS1 LOUD valvetrain noise. What did I break ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the rockers and pushrods and they are fine. I pulled the spark plugs and they are fine.

I put the rockers back on and torqued them via the GM service manual. Now, cylinder #5 exhaust rocker arm has excessive play. Probably because of a collapsed lifter im thinking ???

Do I need to pull the heads to check the lifters ?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you put a flat bar across the valves to make sure none were bent?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brians91formula
I pulled the rockers and pushrods and they are fine. I pulled the spark plugs and they are fine.

I put the rockers back on and torqued them via the GM service manual. Now, cylinder #5 exhaust rocker arm has excessive play. Probably because of a collapsed lifter im thinking ???

Do I need to pull the heads to check the lifters ?
Ughhh, you want to be darn well sure before you pull the heads. I think you can sometimes push down on the pushrod and based on resistance sometimes tell if a lifter is shot, I don't know for sure but maybe somebody can chime in.

If the rocker looks banged up or loose and the spring and pushrod look fine, and valves etc, that would also make me think lifter.

But triple check everything, especially exhaust leaks, would suck to pull the heads when all you have is a bad exhaust gasket or a crack in a primary or collector. And make sure nothing is hitting the flywheel or something dumb like that.

With # 5 suspicious, does it sound like the sound is coming from the drivers side? Possibly below the covers? I'd still do the typical compression checks and everything first.

GL with it, I hope you don't have to pull the head(s)
Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Ughhh, you want to be darn well sure before you pull the heads. I think you can sometimes push down on the pushrod and based on resistance sometimes tell if a lifter is shot, I don't know for sure but maybe somebody can chime in.

If the rocker looks banged up or loose and the spring and pushrod look fine, and valves etc, that would also make me think lifter.

But triple check everything, especially exhaust leaks, would suck to pull the heads when all you have is a bad exhaust gasket or a crack in a primary or collector. And make sure nothing is hitting the flywheel or something dumb like that.

With # 5 suspicious, does it sound like the sound is coming from the drivers side? Possibly below the covers? I'd still do the typical compression checks and everything first.

GL with it, I hope you don't have to pull the head(s)
Sounds like the noise is coming from the drivers side of the motor. Cylinder #5 is on the drivers side so it makes sense. Not a exhaust leak, definitely a metallic type noise in the top end I think.

I'll triple check everything. If it comes down to pulling the heads, I may just bring it down to Slowhawk. I do not have much time to work on it, and I know he can datalog and make sure everything is perfect.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may just bring it down to Slowhawk. I do not have much time to work on it, and I know he can datalog and make sure everything is perfect.
Bout the best suggestion that I could give.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Did you put a flat bar across the valves to make sure none were bent?
Yes. None of the valves appeared to be bent.

If I did have a bent valve, wouldn't the car run like **** ? Seems to run ok other than the ticking.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds exactly like my car right now... blown header gasket. (used the crap ones that came with my pacesetters) No soot marks, just a 3/4" section of the gasket is GONE, and it sounds awful. I'd heed the suggestions and advice of checking your header gaskets before getting deep into pulling the heads... just my .02 cents man. Good luck and I hope you find the culprit soon!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Get any resolution on this issue? Is this your daily driver?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

How's it going bud?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Specialized
Get any resolution on this issue? Is this your daily driver?
Pretty sure its the lifter causing the problem. Maybe a slightly bent valve. The car is not my daily driver.

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
How's it going bud?
Really busy with work and other things lately. I'm trying to decide if I want to park the car for the winter and bring it to Slowhawk come spring, or fix it now.

I have been really thinking about having the motor forged and then going with a kentucky turbo setup or procharger kit. A h/c/i ls1 is fun but I want more.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Pretty sure its the lifter causing the problem. Maybe a slightly bent valve. The car is not my daily driver.

Really busy with work and other things lately. I'm trying to decide if I want to park the car for the winter and bring it to Slowhawk come spring, or fix it now.

I have been really thinking about having the motor forged and then going with a kentucky turbo setup or procharger kit. A h/c/i ls1 is fun but I want more.
Yeah once you get the disease, it will never go away, only gets worse.

I say if you gonna do a build next year, wait. If you are unsure or are not gonna do it, fix it before/during winter. Its those kinda things that eat me up when I think about it, just sitting there.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a collapsed lifter to me as well. Mine were shot from sitting for so long. Sounded EXACTLY like that.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry for bumpin up old thread just curious, have you ever figure out what was wrong with the motor?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by raysadude
sorry for bumpin up old thread just curious, have you ever figure out what was wrong with the motor?
No, the car has been sitting as I have not had any free time for it. I need to find some time to bring it down to Slowhawk Performance.

I will update this thread when I find out the damage.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like my car did when it decided to try and compress aluminum.

Used fast intake from grenaded motor = Bad times.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

***UPDATE***

I finally got time to pull the car apart and find out what happened. Looks like a pretty serious lifter failure!!! Heads, valves, springs, rockers, pushrods, etc are all fine. Started pulling out the lifters and found the culprit.

Name:  lifter-1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  lifter-2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  58.0 KB

Sooo my cam is junk and there are most likely metal pieces floating around in my motor somewhere. None came out when I drained the oil though. It took A LOT of force pulling out the bad lifter and I think I scored the lifter bore. I tried putting a good lifter back in that bore and it didnt fit. Is the shortblock junk now or can the lifter bore be honed/machined out again? hrmmm.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Man that sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon. It seemed like it was yesterday when you got the h/c done.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Eeck
Is that a stock lifter and did you have stock trays?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks
Man that sucks. I hope you get it fixed soon. It seemed like it was yesterday when you got the h/c done.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Eeck
Is that a stock lifter and did you have stock trays?
Its an LS7 lifter with only 1200 miles on it. Stock trays yes, not sure if the tray allowed the lifter to spin in the bore and that's what caused the failure. Not really sure.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks!

Its an LS7 lifter with only 1200 miles on it. Stock trays yes, not sure if the tray allowed the lifter to spin in the bore and that's what caused the failure. Not really sure.
I think there may be a chance the lifter trays had something to do with it. I saw something where it was recommended to install LS2 lifter trays when doing a cam swap on an LS1. Supposedly they have a new design allow less movement compared to the stock or worn Ls1 trays. I ordered a set for my upcoming swap after reading that. I dont know how true it is but cant hurt to do it anyway.

Quick Reply: **UPDATE** LS1 LOUD valvetrain noise. What did I break ?