Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Anyone know how to work on a 4.2l I-6 that's in the Trailblazers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
When you swap heads do you know if you can opt for the new style? I know in the later setup they changed the exhaust cam too and bumped output up to 291. Altough I'm sure you would need a tune to be optimal. So whats the plan anyways, are you just gonna rebuild the current one, thats probably the most cost affective approach?
I'm just going to have Dan swap out the head for a rebuilt head. I know the 06-09 heads were better, but it would require a new valve cover, gaskets etc, so I'm not going to go that route. It's my wifes car, and I'm sure she doesn't need more power considering it's been running on 5 cylinders for a while now, putting a fresh head on will be a drastic change for her alone. If it were my daily driver, sure, I'd probably look into it, but for now, I'll be happy with having a healthy motor.

I'm looking to get another 2 years out of it so we can get out of the daycare days before getting her a new car. We've got two kids in daycare, and the last thing I want is a new car payment right now.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'm just going to have Dan swap out the head for a rebuilt head. I know the 06-09 heads were better, but it would require a new valve cover, gaskets etc, so I'm not going to go that route. It's my wifes car, and I'm sure she doesn't need more power considering it's been running on 5 cylinders for a while now, putting a fresh head on will be a drastic change for her alone. If it were my daily driver, sure, I'd probably look into it, but for now, I'll be happy with having a healthy motor.

I'm looking to get another 2 years out of it so we can get out of the daycare days before getting her a new car. We've got two kids in daycare, and the last thing I want is a new car payment right now.
2 little ones in day care, I can only imagine. GL with it.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
2 little ones in day care, I can only imagine. GL with it.
Yeah, let's just say I could be driving a ZR1 with the money I spend in daycare, and that's with a 4 year loan and no money down.

But it is what it is.... hence why I want her car to last for a few more years. Plus the rug rats trash the interior, so I don't want her in a new car till they get out of this stage.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry the injector did not fix your problem. My parents have a 02 TB with 180k on it that developed a miss recently. I changed the spark plugs this weekend (the stock ones were still in it) and cleaned the throttle body. Still has a miss and confirmed it is cylinder 1. The next thing I am going to do is swap coils to see if it follows. The SES light starts flashing once you hit around 2k RPMS. This thread definitely helps me out in knowing what to look for now.

I hope you get yours running back to normal.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The miss that Brien is having is only noticable at idle. It is barely noticable when driving.

Also a flashing SES light indicated a "catalyst damaging misfire"
Old 11-29-2011, 11:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
The miss that Brien is having is only noticable at idle. It is barely noticable when driving.

Also a flashing SES light indicated a "catalyst damaging misfire"
Is it also possible that it could be a different cylinder misfiring but the scanner shows cylinder #1? I also took the coils off and put them on few times to make sure they were seated correctly since that appears to be a common mistake when doing plugs.

Thanks man and sorry for the hijack!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The miss is really noticable at idel, you can feel the whole car shake, and you can hear it in the tail pipe that it's missing. We're talking a 230/240 duration cam with no tuning type mis. Mine is in #6 cylinder confirmed with hp tuners while scanning for misfires per cylinder.

For me, it's the head, what part, who knows. Could be a fubar'd valve seat, or toasted valves, I don't know, but at this point, it doesn't matter since the head has to come off to fix it. So to reduce down time with putting the head in to be serviced, I'm just going to pick up a reman'd head and drop it on. It comes with a 12 month warranty, and if anything is going to go wrong, it'll show up in that time.

I'll try and grab a video of her exhaust at idle, it's really noticable that there's a mis.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Quick update.... Dan got the head pulled this weekend and is working on buttoning it up. It was a burnt exhaust valve in number six. You could see light coming through about a quarter of the radius of the valve/seat with the valve completely closed.

A big thanks to Dan for all his help. I know it hasn't been easy.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I was just looking into oil consumption for my friend with an 03 Envoy 4.2 I6. She has 271k miles on hers though. She was basically out of oil, and would drop pressure as soon as I'd get off camber. I've heard valve seals are common on these motors. Thing still runs great though, even with that mileage.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Picked up the car/suv tonight at Dan's and what a difference. Thanks again to Dan for getting this done.

Hopefully I can get another 2-3 years out of it without any more issues.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Problem Brien. Glad I could help out. Sorry it took a little longer than planned.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by dschmittie1
No Problem Brien. Glad I could help out. Sorry it took a little longer than planned.
A couple days is a small price to pay for knowing it was done right Dan. Who knew the cam phaser would be bad. Best thing is my wife is happy....and a happy wife is a happy life.