Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Detailing (01 CamaroSS SLP)

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
That paint seems to have little or no orange peel, unless it doesn't show in the pics.
Hey Alex, this is what I see. The car looks amazing and from 5-10 feet away you can't honestly tell. You need to reference something and the one pic that showed me, if anything.

Using the reflection and the line in the fender you can see the bumpy texture. To be honest, very few factory paint jobs have enough clear coat to allow for all orange peel removal. If you measured and the whole car had enough depth you could wet sand, wool pad/rotary buff, and step down eventually to the D/A you will have a flawless finish but the main question is, whether you have enough to work with. The D/A on average takes the least amt of material away, so given enough time all the work can be done on a D/A the question is whether you want to spend that time on it.

Every situation is different.

Just my opinion, I just love Danno's work.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all my f-bodys had the same exhaust pipe hang a little... from my 87 to my 00 dunno, i just left it.

car looks beautiful! great job! i do detailing myself and that im sure was some *** busting work, black cars look good but hard to keep them looking good.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Teching In

WOW! Looks great. Interested in doing a Black TBSS?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks BSM, this is why we post up, love getting feedback and sharing tips/results.

I know one black 4th gen camaro on here with almost no orange peel as well that another shop worked on, looked awesome. I just hate removing so much clear on a car that is driven, sometimes less is more and thats the approach we take unless we are chasing bigger imperfections. Once you start removing .5+ mil of clearcoat now you are appraoching UV paint degradation. I would not go for full wetsand or aggressive compound orange peel removal without a paint meter. As a hobbiest I don't have the $ for a meter than can do metal and synthetics, so we play it safer.

04qsgtoMA, always interested. being a weekend hobby be forwarned that we can only do so many cars a year and keep our wives happy still, ha.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Thanks BSM, this is why we post up, love getting feedback and sharing tips/results.

I know one black 4th gen camaro on here with almost no orange peel as well that another shop worked on, looked awesome. I just hate removing so much clear on a car that is driven, sometimes less is more and thats the approach we take unless we are chasing bigger imperfections. Once you start removing .5+ mil of clearcoat now you are appraoching UV paint degradation. I would not go for full wetsand or aggressive compound orange peel removal without a paint meter. As a hobbiest I don't have the $ for a meter than can do metal and synthetics, so we play it safer.

04qsgtoMA, always interested. being a weekend hobby be forwarned that we can only do so many cars a year and keep our wives happy still, ha.
Believe me I understand. Shoot me a PM with some details and pricing if you dont mind when you have a chance. Or we can chat at Don's on saturday. I will be there in the silver GTO

Last edited by 04qsgtoMA; 04-18-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 04qsgtoMA
Believe me I understand. Shoot me a PM with some details and pricing if you dont mind when you have a chance. Or we can chat at Don's on saturday. I will be there in the silver GTO

I'll be at Don's.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Ok I do see the orange peel in that pic. As mentioned almost all cars have it, and it's a lot of work to remove, not to mention risking making the clear too thin.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
Ok I do see the orange peel in that pic. As mentioned almost all cars have it, and it's a lot of work to remove, not to mention risking making the clear too thin.
Yea, that pretty much any factory car, the ones that you can do that to are the ones where you put too much clear on it knowing you will buff it down.

*Side note, If your looking to get your car cut, let me know Alex.