Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Cruising OCMD May 16-19 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nhra_crazy
Hey Rick remember when we took this cruise down there in 2010.. this was a good time for sure.. stopped for some beers and food on the way back
yep...good times. thats my shitbox there in the middle..lol. it was ****** hot that day...no goddamn a/c either...lol.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinlt1
Sounds good to me!
I think you had agreed with me on 120th st in Oct. But no one showed up when I got there. I just would like to see a nice meet that everyone can agree on.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 days guys!!

Gotta throw a meet together, wouldn't be the same without. I loved the old spot on 45th st, 120th street I think would be pretty awesome since it's close to Hooters and the all day & night show they have there.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Teching In

shitting my pants with excitement. this will be my first year. got a house on 94th street.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Banned

Our meet will be at 2PM-4PM in at the West Ocean City Hooters that Friday. More details to come this week. I would advise against you guys just showing up somewhere uninvited..the business owners are really sensitive to this...especially if you are not spending money there. Every year we struggle to get places to agree to host us.

Keep in mind, these restaurants/business make the bulk of their money in the weekends between May and October..they are really sensitive of anything that makes their restaurant looked packed when it really is not. Also, besides Crusing Week, they have some different shows like VW's at the beach, and import shows who behave in many cases worse than us. Because of that, many businesses view a bunch of cars showing up as trouble waiting to happen.

Last year we tried to have it in OC itself, but it did not work well. It was really not a meet..people pretty much just parked their car, at the restaurant and walked out to the highway to watch cars drive up and down. It ended up not really being a meet and greet, and the restaurant owner ended up unhappy. He had to spend the rest of the day chasing people who were parked in front of his restaurant, but never ate there or moved after the meet.

I think a cruise is a bad idea for a few reasons. First, there are lights every 200 ft in OC..you won't be able to keep it togethor. Second..it is hard enough to avoid an accident as it is...trying to keep a bunch of cars togethor for a cruise makes that harder. It is hard enough to keep a cruise togethor on backroads much less OC, haha.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's hard for me to leave Ocean City to go look at other cars. We all know seeing coastal is the highlight and hearing the sounds is most of the fun. You miss out on a lot crossing the 50 bridge.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
It's hard for me to leave Ocean City to go look at other cars. We all know seeing coastal is the highlight and hearing the sounds is most of the fun. You miss out on a lot crossing the 50 bridge.
Yea there's no way I'm going out of OC for a meet. I'm going to OC to be in OC. Also, cars cruise together all the time. If you lose the group at a light you can catch them at the next one.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I dont see a cruise being THAT hard.

Finding a lot to collect in first MAYBE. But once your on the road, sure a light might break it up for a second. But as there are NO turns and its just a straight shot. Light turns green and you reconnect to the group. Sure maybe a few not in the group end up in the middle as a result of some lights. But all in all it would be interesting to see a group(50+) LS cars rolling down coastal as a pack.

Like with any automotive meet. The rules of common sense would need to be followed. This would not be a time to race or do burnouts. Behave. Any actions would be your own, and any resulting problems would be as well. Enjoy such an event at your own risk.

I am thinking something like THIS but a mix of LS cars and MUCH larger.

Last edited by CTSVBiggie; 04-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Originally Posted by maxpower_454
Yea there's no way I'm going out of OC for a meet. I'm going to OC to be in OC. Also, cars cruise together all the time. If you lose the group at a light you can catch them at the next one.
We had our meet and greet in West OC for 4 years straight before trying it in OC last year. The 4 years outside OC had a much higher turn out, and the people who came along with the host restaurant ended up much happier than last year (for the reasons I listed above). We had people who went to our meet last year, and got in arguments with the restaurant owner over parking before and after the meet to the point they left posts bashing them on Yelp. Trying to do anything (cruise or get a place to park 40+ cars) in OC during the weekend is very difficult. Honestly, you never make everyone happy.

It's a long weekend..and I think a trip to West OC is not that bad.

Last edited by MarylandSpeed; 04-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
We had our meet and greet in West OC for 4 years straight before trying it in OC last year. The 4 years outside OC had a much higher turn out, and the people who came along with the host restaurant ended up much happier than last year (for the reasons I listed above). We had people who went to our meet last year, and got in arguments with the restaurant owner over parking before and after the meet to the point they left posts bashing them on Yelp. Trying to do anything (cruise or get a place to park 40+ cars) in OC during the weekend is very difficult. Honestly, you never make everyone happy.

It's a long weekend..and I think a trip to West OC is not that bad.
I don't think cruisin' out to Hooters will be the problem. It's only 1 mile over the bridge and 2 hours for a show takes nothing out of your weekend. The only problem I see is the traffic getting back into OC after the show. Its ALWAYS hours to get across 50 and back in to OC. I usually have to drive all the way to Racetrack Rd and drive all the way up to 90 to avoid a majority of the traffic. I just don't leave OC on Friday and Saturday.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
I don't think cruisin' out to Hooters will be the problem. It's only 1 mile over the bridge and 2 hours for a show takes nothing out of your weekend. The only problem I see is the traffic getting back into OC after the show. Its ALWAYS hours to get across 50 and back in to OC. I usually have to drive all the way to Racetrack Rd and drive all the way up to 90 to avoid a majority of the traffic. I just don't leave OC on Friday and Saturday.
We have been doing it a few years now. Aside from maybe a 15-20 minute wait to get back across the bridge, trying to get back in town Friday afternoon is not bad.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Our meet will be at 2PM-4PM in at the West Ocean City Hooters that Friday. More details to come this week. I would advise against you guys just showing up somewhere uninvited..the business owners are really sensitive to this...especially if you are not spending money there. Every year we struggle to get places to agree to host us.

Keep in mind, these restaurants/business make the bulk of their money in the weekends between May and October..they are really sensitive of anything that makes their restaurant looked packed when it really is not. Also, besides Crusing Week, they have some different shows like VW's at the beach, and import shows who behave in many cases worse than us. Because of that, many businesses view a bunch of cars showing up as trouble waiting to happen.

Last year we tried to have it in OC itself, but it did not work well. It was really not a meet..people pretty much just parked their car, at the restaurant and walked out to the highway to watch cars drive up and down. It ended up not really being a meet and greet, and the restaurant owner ended up unhappy. He had to spend the rest of the day chasing people who were parked in front of his restaurant, but never ate there or moved after the meet.

I think a cruise is a bad idea for a few reasons. First, there are lights every 200 ft in OC..you won't be able to keep it togethor. Second..it is hard enough to avoid an accident as it is...trying to keep a bunch of cars togethor for a cruise makes that harder. It is hard enough to keep a cruise togethor on backroads much less OC, haha.
West OC Hooters sounds pretty awesome to me!! Should make for the greatest MDSpeed meet ever!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

After spending an hour sitting in traffic to get from 118th street to 35th ocean city can go **** themselves for the spring cruise. Last year traffic was a disaster and its going to rain this year Friday and Saturday.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 AM
Teching In

It sucked with all the traffic last year I hope people with big lifted diesel trucks just stay the **** home. Every ten mins some 20 year old who borrowed there daddy's work truck was flying up the road with 20 kids in the back. I saw a guy in a 37 chevy get rearended by one. I did hear that the cops are gonna be on them really bad this year... Hopefully they leave us alone.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^^^^^ What he said!
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Agreed!! Lifted diesels & trucks w/ 20 kids in the back drinking beer all day is a huge annoyance down there. Hopefully 18th & 19th St. Area has some more action this year!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssntmre66
It sucked with all the traffic last year I hope people with big lifted diesel trucks just stay the **** home.
STACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We played the Diesel drinking game last year and were blasted in about 20 minutes. I hate Diesel ricers more than regular ricers.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Yeah there this generations Honda civics with fart can mufflers... I got into a fight last year walking back to my hotel because drunk kids were fighting in the back of one and threw another kid out of the back and he was hurt bad. Me and some other guy walking drug the poor kid to the curb so he wouldn't get run over.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

sounds like I'll be bringing me turd down to the carousel with my fiance as co pilot, I should have a 383malibu and a 355 lt1 t/a rolling with me, we booked a 3 bed condo.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I still say meet at food lion... That place is ALWAYS a car show after 600 and they never seem to bother anybody. We go up there saturday night after dinner to meet with some of my friends and other bullet guys and we were never hassled about parking there. Im not gonna try to stay together for 100+ blocks of OC traffic tho... Had enough trouble following the wife to dinner last year lol

Quick Reply: Cruising OCMD May 16-19 2013