Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Best way to store car for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to store car for winter?

So I finally got a truck to drive this winter so I can put the SS away.. What's the best way to store it? I'll be keeping it at my house in the garage.

Someone told me fuel stabilizer... But I'm a little unsure about that since my car is modded. Not sure how the car will like it on the first spring start up.

Here is what I was going to do. Put it up on jack stands and drain the fuel tank. I have the trap door cut so it isn't an issue to drain it.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No jackstands. That is really bad for the suspension. Just pump your tires up. Maybe put a battery tender on it to keep it fresh. Stabil or something like that wouldn't be a bad idea if you don't plan on driving it. I didn't put any in my car since I'll still take it out on nice, salt less days. Depending on how the weather goes that will probably be once a week that I still drive it.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its december now , if you will put it on the road by april I wouldnt sweat much besides making sure the battery is disconnected and windows rolled up. putting some dryer sheets in the car and in the intake tract , engine bay will keep critters out.

I will pull everything out of the garage sometime mid winter and let them run up to temp and then assume the tires will sit on different section of tire when i put them back in the garage .

I have stored different cars in the winter many times over the last 30 years and havent had issues with fuel or anything else , this winter I will store one of my 3 z's inside , my 81 trans am with 72 nose , my 73 ventura and a FWD supercharged regal project car thats got the subframe & trans out currently , I can fit 4 inside and have a dozen vehicles , the rest are either on the road or will be stored in the driveway lol
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhook battery add some 110 octane race gas good to go
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's what I've been doing the past 8 years, keeping it away December through most of March: disconnect battery, fill tires to 40psi.

Never messed with fuel additives.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres what i do i make sure i have my a/c recharged and good to go and if im not feeling like using the a/c i just take the tops off and enjoy the sun lol. No but ++++10 on battery tender.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I don't drive my car much, I always have it hooked up to a battery tender. Over winter, I just drive it every couple weeks when there is no salt on the road. Every month or two I go to the gas station and put fresh fuel in to keep it topped off and keeps the fuel fresh. Keep the tires inflated. That's all it takes.

Quick Reply: Best way to store car for winter?