Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

not car related but Im looking for dog trainer recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i was actually told not to rely on treats or training collars as much as a stern orrr loving voice depending if the dog is good or bad because with the treats and collars the minute they dont have them for motivation they'll act up. I've been showing dominance by making him wait until i walk into a doorway before he can and when the yorkie comes making the pitt sit and stay with me until I say otherwise but sometimes he gets too excited or the yorkie will get him worked up.
dropedss whats the deal with the sour apple spray? are you saying to spray the yorkie so that if the pit sniffs him or licks him he doesnt like the taste??
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL dogs have the "pack" mentality! How do you get a dog to mind? Think like a pack animal TWENTY FOUR SEVEN around them.

1. When is the last time you saw a dog pimp slap the other one for getting out of line? Never. Get a sound (a hiss if you will, SSSTTTTT) and "bite" them sharply on the back of the neck with your hand. It gets their attention off of what they are doing and onto you. After a while of this all you will have to do is your designated sound and that is "no" to them.

2. The dog plays when yous say it plays, it eats when you let it eat, etc... The dog eats AFTER you are done eating. If you are playing, NEVER drop the toy and let them take it.... They just "won" that game. And yes, EVERYTHING is a challenge to them.

3. They are not allowed on furniture/etc... That is putting them on your level. They have their designated furniture and the floor, it is all they need. The ONLY time they are allowed on a couch/chair/bed is if you are not on it and you are standing.

4. You NEVER EVER EVER show them attention while they are up moving/hyper/etc... They sit, then you PET them. You do not kiss them all over, that is putting them above you. You can kiss them on the forehead and nowhere else. They should sit next to you and nudge your hand to let you know they are calm.

5. They never walk out of a doorway before you do... They sit and wait for you to walk out and then follow.

....See where this is going? I could go on and on and on. The dogs don't need to learn anything, they already have all of the instincts to listen/follow. You have to learn how to think like them and train yourself to follow how to make them do ANYTHING you want them to do.

Yes, both my inside dogs abide 100% to these rules. It is extremely hard to do, at times it seems literally impossible. A stranger that knows how to do this (if I met your dogs) it would look like a walk in the park. Not only do you have to start this you have to break habits you have with them AND show them you are 100% the leader. I promise you right now you are not 100% the leader. Not only do you have to do this (especially with dogs that get hyper when people come over/jump on them/etc) you have to convince friends/family to do, extremely hard.

This is straight from the man that trained both of our pits. One that was almost unbearable to deal with. He was trained by Cesar Milan himself (direct phone line and all).
Literally within 30 seconds Haigan was waiting for his every move to see what he wanted him to do, wasn't going bat **** crazy jumping, he knew the bone wasn't not his but his masters (which was a stranger at this point)... Etc/etc/etc.. It was unbelievable watching them interact with each other.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Side note... You hit a dog. It might be scared of you.... It probably isn't scared of the 7year old that is hitting it in the face and it is hand shy.

What is a dogs ONLY way a defense? Biting.

This is a lot of times where dogs "snap for absolutely no reason, it wasn't even provoked".

Every once in a blue moon when I try to get my boy to come in another room and he doesn't listen if I go to grab his collar he will show teeth (very intimidating from an 80# Pit), because he is scared. He will listen to anything I say but that is the only way he can defend himself from me. I never "beat" him but he would get spanked YEARS ago when he acted up before I knew how to control a dog the proper way. It was a mistake that took a good while to correct.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

yes the pit will get a bad taste when he puts his mouth on the yorky and then will think twice about doing it and if you reqord for not doing it it will sink in
Old 12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dropedss86
yes the pit will get a bad taste when he puts his mouth on the yorky and then will think twice about doing it and if you reqord for not doing it it will sink in
thats the only thing i've read in this whole post that I've never been told before...But what if he ends up liking sour apple?? lol
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My rotty likes the sour apple, so that was a waste for us and she proceeded to lick the furniture endlessly till we washed it lysol.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

then we are SOL lol
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dropedss86
then we are SOL lol
lmfao
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll say it again, you're dealing with a large puppy with lots and lots of energy. Try to get rid of that energy each day before you introduce him to the smaller dog for play time.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Lemons makes some very good points. Its all about body language.... you have to act like an alpha dog. Alpha dogs aren't mean or cruel, the best description I have heard is that they act "regal" - always in charge. The point about walking through doors and food habits are 100% correct. One other is that the alpha would never walk around any member of the pack....the others get out of alphas way. That is the same with you and your dog, never walk around them....walk through their space...they should move out of your way and feel clumsy for being in your path.

A good universal word to use to stop the dog from doing something you don't want is "out". You kind of have to bark the word at them, it is said very sharply in a stern voice. This is as close as we can get to the sound a mother dog makes to discipline the pups. This also works on stray dogs / other peoples dogs etc... good trick to have in lots of different situations.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lemon hit it all.

Biggest problem is everyone in the house should do the same thing.

In my house the wife and kids treat the dog different so the dog does not listen to any of them. My wife thought it was cute to play rough with the dog as a puppy. Now the dog is 1' tall and 50lbs and still jumps on her at full speed.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:52 PM
11 Second Club

If you are hitting your pets thats called animal abuse and it is agianst the law. You are an a$$hole.

I am not a huge dog fan. too much work. I am more of a cat guy.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

the majority of you guys have good points, honestly I walk the pup everyday and he gets plenty of play time in the yard to try and burn him out. I'm trying the pack leader thing, I make him sit and stay than ill break a doorway and tell him he can come in, if he's in my way ill nudge him with my leg and say "move", I feed him twice a day same times everyday. he's on a pretty set routine when Im working.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
12 Second Club

seeing the alfa thing another good thing to make you pack leader is make them watch you eat then feed the dogs so you get food first and make them stay in a corner not near the table but so they can see you. start out with leashes then they will do it without. My dogs stay in seperate corners while we eat dinner then they go on a stay in the kitchen when we feed them

Quick Reply: not car related but Im looking for dog trainer recommendations