Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

New York, what's the fine for no front plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Put the ticket # in the online DMV website. Apparently it still hasn't been entered in their database. What are the chances of this slipping under the radar?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just found a copy of the law and it states "...one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided..."

Heres the full law:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/VAT/IV/14/402

might have to print it out and keep it handy...especially that i just put my plate filler on
Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I paid about 150 in suffolk
Old 04-27-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Im in the same boat. I bought the electric retractable plate which the electric part lasted a week against a flatbed tow hook (long story). No it is manual and always down and out of site. I need a front plate b/c my friend parks on nyc streets once a week.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a ticket for both. No front plate ticket was $150 in Queens and then I had the plate in the front window and got a ticket for $130 I think. In NYC law it specifically says must be affixed to front bumper, cannot be placed in windshield. My friend and my brother in law is a cop and both of them showed me the law
Old 05-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this once in Rochester. Go to court for the ticket and take a before and after picture. The "before" with you're filler in place, the "after" without the filler and with a front plate. Then take off the front plate and replace the filler. Print both pictures and bring them to court with you (make sure you have a time and date on them) and say you're sorry and you forgot you left it on when you were taking pictures or didn't know it was removable or whatever, blahh blahh. That's how I got mine thrown away
Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just an FYI, the law does prohibit the windshield thing, section B of the law posted above reads the following:
" (b) Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be
easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic
material...."
I'm guessing the glass thing includes windshields too...dumb laws

Quick Reply: New York, what's the fine for no front plate?